BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read in different threads that some M5 owners install spacers from 5 to 20mm for there wheels. This changes the Offset. They are some times essential for everything to fit but I have one question.

Is this not bad to change the offset from factory setting?

Are the bearings, wheel hubs and other parts not designed taking specific offset into account? What effect would changing this have on wear. Knowing the size of tires on the M5 is big and the supposed (according to BMW) 1,2g lateral accelerations, the strain on these parts is enourmous.

I'm posting this as I am interested in rims that will need spacers.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi Mate

I used to be in the wheel business until very recently.

Ideally you want to run wheels that are the correct offset for your car. A Five series is ideally round about a 20mm off set. A lot of people try 3 series wheels which can be from around a 40mm off set right to about 49mm off set for the rear depending on the width.

If you are going to use spacers use hub centric spacers with the correct centre bore which on an E39 is 74.1mm. If you are looking to use wide spacers ie 20mm or above try and get some bolt on ones. These bolt to the hub and then the wheel bolts to them. This will make sure there is no vibration.

There are a number of people that make them and they are even TUV approved ones available.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
spacers make me nervous, they become a weak point and can crack, just bothers me. Alot of people do it, but still bothers me. If your gettnig wheels get the right offset.

·
Registered
12,939 Posts
marcducati said:
I read in different threads that some M5 owners install spacers from 5 to 20mm for there wheels. This changes the Offset. They are some times essential for everything to fit but I have one question.

Is this not bad to change the offset from factory setting?

Are the bearings, wheel hubs and other parts not designed taking specific offset into account? What effect would changing this have on wear. Knowing the size of tires on the M5 is big and the supposed (according to BMW) 1,2g lateral accelerations, the strain on these parts is enourmous.

I'm posting this as I am interested in rims that will need spacers.

We use 3mm spacers to mount the rear wheels to the front. As I recall it also corrects the front suspension geometry ( I think Lscman, among others, have discussed this). As suggested, large spacers mean you have the wrong wheels, but I don't think they are necessarily bad. I use 15mm hubcentric spacers on my other German car, it has seen many many track miles, and other than perhaps (hard to tell) a little more wheel bearing wear, no issues at all.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
From my prior research here, I found that stock rears have a 22mm offset and stock fronts have a 19mm offset.

I've mounted rear rims on my front, and use a 3mm spacer- that would yeild a 19mm offset on the front, same as stock, but with a wider rim.

I think this maintains the factory geometry.

It is impossible to make a blanket statement about 'spacer' without an analysis of the application. rim, suspension, spacer mfg, bolts, all determine the ultimate safety.

Given that thespacers I'd consider (a few mms) use thru bolts, the mechanical safety is pretty high. stress on the bearings/suspension is negligible...

Once you start moving stuff arond by 10-15mm as I've seen in some (older) posts I would be more concerned.

A

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
M5_SMG said:
Aftermarket, Breyton Magic Sport
Front: 20 x 9.5 (275/30/20)
Rear: 20 x 11 (305/25/20)
Without knowing the offset of the rim, the thickness of the spacer is useless.

An 11" wide rim with a 30mm offest and a 15mm spacer is the same as a 11" rim with a 15mm offset and no spacer.

For example it appears from the breyton website that the Breyton Magic sport 10x9.5 comes in 18, 26, & 38mm offsets.

·
Registered
217 Posts
True, can't recall the offset on the rears ... but the spacers were necessary as the wheels were rubbing inside the arches...5mm was plenty to clear.

The fronts are off the car right now, so I checked and their an 18 offset. The spacers help in the front, but their still rubbing in every bloody place. Need to pull the plastic trim panels out and then I won't have a problem with turns. Though on rough roads I'm rubbing on the guards, which I particularily don't like. So, I'm drift style now ... different front and rear wheels :).

Will put the wheels back on after I widebody it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts