BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking through threads regarding the appropriate size and vendor for a space saver spare for the E60 M5. But as far as I could discern the issue is either unresolved or the solution is not readily discernible.

I am running a stock setup as far as rims and brakes are concerned. I have some long distance trips planned in the near future and would prefer to take the beast rather than not. However, I am not comfortable with no spare and a full size spare would make it impossible to carry the luggage I intend on bringing.

I saw that the E39 has a space saver available but the vendors that offer it don't offer one for the E60. It also seems that this spare would not fit the E60 M5 set up.

Please help!

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you really really really want to bring a spare with you, buy a roof rack and throw a spare in the luggage container on top. It may look horrible and reduce your aerodynamic abilities, but if that what it takes to console you on your long drive, it may need to be implied. :crying2:

Also, if your back seats are empty, clean the spare, and put it in a garbage bag, and lay her down in the back. :D

Innovation comes standard on all new BMW models. hahah :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Couple of other things to consider if you are set on doing this:
- Ensure you have a lug wrench- my 08' didn't have one.
- Ensure your wheels actually come off without assistance from a professional. Mine are currently rusted on :crying2:

Needless to say- thats getting fixed this week.

Enjoy your trip- and remember, the best assistance you'll have on the roadside if you get in trouble is the BMW 800 number.

Reactions: KGPEsq

·
Registered
407 Posts
- Ensure your wheels actually come off without assistance from a professional. Mine are currently rusted on :crying2:

Enjoy your trip- and remember, the best assistance you'll have on the roadside if you get in trouble is the BMW 800 number.
Some PB-Blaster with an overnight soak and a rubber mallet is what you need! :M5thumbs:

Reactions: NCM5Guy

·
Registered
911 Posts

If you want to break the tires loose just back off the lug nuts and drive around the block a couple of times.

·
Registered
407 Posts
If you want to break the tires loose just back off the lug nuts and drive around the block a couple of times.
My friend did that once and, well, you can snap your lugs in half if they are rusted too, and if you back em out too much. :(

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
I recall UFH worked up a solution. PM him or search his posts.

Personally, I keep a full size spare for long trips. A 50 mile range would not get you home. And the chance of finding a matching tire is very slim.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
call tyre rack tell them of your tire size and what model you want to make a spare for..they will give you the size that will be good for front and rear and the proper bolt on wheel...get the cheapest tire and cheapest wheel that will get you home....175.00 should do it...sorry for the improper writing form just got home from hospital from back operation....still a little frucked up....good luck Greg/UFH...please write anytime...

Reactions: BFDD and KGPEsq

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the advice Greg. I will get on it right away.
In the meanwhile, take care, rest up and recover as soon as possible.

I hope all is well.

KGP

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thank you for the advice Greg. I will get on it right away.
In the meanwhile, take care, rest up and recover as soon as possible.

I hope all is well.

KGP
Would appreciate a post regarding what you find / end-up with. Has been a similar concern of mine, when on road-trip >100 miles.

·
Registered
911 Posts
My extended warranty covers flats and blow outs and if it can't be repaired they pay $125 towards the new tire and provide food and hotels till the car is ready for the road again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts