BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
evening all, i just wanted a bit of info on replacing my maf sensors, i am a first time owner and have never done this before, i must also add we are in the uk, I have read hours of threads on the board to do with this so armed with my bosch part number and my limited knowledge i started to look for some today, and have been told that basically within the uk i cant buy the sensors as a single item i have to buy the whole unit, but that i should under no circumstance just change the sensors but to do the whole unit, but i have read many threads on here to say that just the sensors can be replaced without a problem, Also they say that afterwards i have to reset the ecu adaptations, which is something i have not read in any of the treads and do not understand.
So then i started to look at the american site bimmerzone which i have seen regularly in threads and they can supply the sensors on their own, but we have been told that they will be different to the uk one as the torx holes and screws are different sizes and there is also problems when the car is running on idle, but again on threads ive seen uk owners say the replacements from u.s are fine.
I would really appreciated any advice on this just to point me in the right direction

thank you all very much lisa

·
Registered
832 Posts
Whoever's telling you about reseting ECU adaptions is feeding you porkies. The ECU has adaptive values and will adjust to your new MAFs after a few hundred miles.

Replacing MAFs is simple. The main thing you will encounter is the screws. Most M5s have the Torx 5 screws. You can buy these through most automotive parts sellers.

All you need to do is buy the sensors itself (not the surrounding housing) and a a torx screwdriver (I just bought the set just in case).

OR

You could just go AlphaN and not worry about MAFs

Reactions: honeyM5

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
evening, thanks ben for your sound advice its much appreciated, i'd kinda guessed about the ecu reset as i'd not read anything about it previously, but its nice to have that extra assurance. so if i ordered the individual sensors from somewhere like bimmerzone in the us would they run fine in a uk car ? im just again looking for that assurance as it was the same person that told me that i had to reset the ecu adaptation, that the sensors from the us wouldnt work in a uk car ?????

thanks again lisa :0)

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi Lisa, the MAF sensors from US should work fine on UK M5's. The part numbers match exactly which is 13621433566 thats the part number of the MAF that is on your car and thats the same one on the US M5's. You could double check everything by going to www.realoem.com Like BenTong said you will need screws for inserts and i don't see why it wouldn't physically fit or work. Adaptations will reset by itself usually after driving for a few days and putting some miles on it.

·
Registered
832 Posts
What's the background of this person? Their opinion contradicts everything on this board that's full of M5 owners.

I'm in Australia and I ordered my MAFs of Beastpower (in the US). Car works fine. MAFS are only really for emissions and if you have the same product number in the UK as the US, you'll be fine.
Once again, JUST the sensors. The housing is absolutely irrelevant.

I'm surprised no one else has jumped on this thread to provide an opinion too. :dunno:

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Hi Lisa,

all original MAFs have the same part number for Euro and US cars.

Or you could go the Alpha-N route,to eliminate them,as Ben already stated.
And also have a bit more power and way better driveablity.

We from Evolve have a christmas special on our remaps with reduced prices.
You can just contact our headquarter in Luton,or email me: [email protected] and we work something out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi all, thanks guys your advice is really helpful, like i said before you can read all the threads and get the right idea, but when your a complete newbie like myself to have that extra assurance is invaluable to me and is very much appreciated, i shall let you know how i get on with the mafs !!! wish me luck :0)
thanks again lisa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts