BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cruise control bowden cable is clipped (look like PO cut it—not sure why, but it's only half there); would anyone know where / how to find a replacement? All the shops are backordered, some saying NLA; bike shops / motorcycle cable makers wont touch it because it's only half there.

part 65718359271 on realoem

Could someone point me to a source, perhaps sell me one of theirs (if they have one lying around), or maybe give me the dimensions of their so that I can go back to one of the shops and ask for the wire (could make it myself if I have appropriate dimensions).

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
140 Posts
See ECS Tuning (backordered, no ETA): BOWDEN CABLE
I ran into the NLA problem with my U.S. Spec 1991 M5 several years ago. The original cruise control cable p/n 65711391432 has indeed gone NLA and supercedes to p/n 65718359271 which is for the Euro 3.8-liter cars.

When I first tried ordering p/n 65718359271 through my friendly BMW dealership the order was canceled by BMW NA as this p/n is actually the one for the european 3.8-ltr cars and they would not allow it to be sold (owing to BMW NA's policy of not selling european spec parts in the U.S.)

When I then had my friendly dealer parts person order the original p/n 65711391432 (which superceds to the euro 3.8 cruise control cable), NA still would not release one from inventory until my local dealer parts person pointed out to his regional warehouse peer that it was BMW themselves that were superceding the U.S. NLA part to the euro part and that we WERE ordering the U.S. part. At that point the the regional offices DID release one to us.

You might want to try your local dealer, have them check inventory of the "271" p/n to see if there are any in inventory either in the U.S. warehouses or in Germany and IF there are, then order the NLA U.S. p/n and have him/her follow up with their regional peer and point this out to them.

Not guarantee however it might well be worth the try.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's interesting—weird that they would push back so hard.

I called them; unfortunately backordered (I've now gotten equal numbers of NLA and backordered—crossing fingers that there is a difference).

If someone could please just measure the physical length of their cc bowden cable, I'd be very much appreciative. I think I'm just going to have to rebuild it. Thank you in advance!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts