BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a BMW source today (1/11/05):

Target base price: $85,000 (BMW fretting over Euro/Dollar issue)
Source did not know what options would be standard at that price.

First year production numbers: 1000 units for the USA for 2006 model year production with first units arriving late Fall 2005.

I have no reason to doubt the source, but only time will tell about accuracy.

MJ
'03 black/black

·
Registered
955 Posts
Digi said:
Yikes! Being #5 at my dealer may not get me a car the first year.
i might be beating a dead horse here.
but how many allocations big dealers will get approximately monthly?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
"late fall"
So does that mean later than other '06 models (usually late summer at the latest)?

·
Registered
369 Posts
vndkshn said:
At that price, it better be pretty loaded, much like the E39 was...
85k at the current eur/usd value is pretty cheap. in ger price is around 86k eur, that are ~112k usd

so 85k usd seem to be a very nice price for me...

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Talk about scaled back expectations!

I never thought the E60 would top the E39's sales, but in the 1st year our beloved E39 found 2,874 buyers :)

possible factors include:

* No dot com bubble
* Significant price increase
* Competition galore
* Wierd styling ouich

Let the count begin!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Agree,

The price in Sweden is equal to 118.000 USD. But on the other hand
availability is much bettter so it is probably worth it...

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Thanks MJ. This was my guestimate all along. It just had to be somewhere in this range.

Max, I think you're right + consider maybe they are giving a little gift to the dealers who mark up? The dealers have been VERY unhappy and vocal about the change over to the new models. So first year is very limited & they can see what kind of market reaction is and refine the car more? This number works out to maybe 2-3 cars/ dealer. You can expect the 1st to go to the principle so you now have 1-2 cars/ dealer. Let the markups begin- so they can be over with!

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Barry said:
"late fall"
So does that mean later than other '06 models (usually late summer at the latest)?
The normal model year starts October 1, with some allocations and orders taken 4 to 6 weeks prior. Sometimes there will be a delivery in September, but usually it is mid October. There may be delays for the M5.

Tifosi - With 1000 cars and 340 dealers, that would be less than 3 per dealer the first year if evenly distributed. Allocations for larger dealers may be greater, and less for smaller, but only BMW will determine the exact number each month. I would hope the production would be somewhat greater.

B

·
0 Posts
That price seems pretty low in light of the significant Euro appreciation. My guess would be that the cars will not be as fully loaded as the e39 M5 was. Also, I can only imagine the markups we will see in some of the hotter US markets. In the first year, I would expect to pay at least $110K (out the door) once markup and taxes are added.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
9852147 said:
85k at the current eur/usd value is pretty cheap. in ger price is around 86k eur, that are ~112k usd

so 85k usd seem to be a very nice price for me...
Keep one thing in mind though, the E55 MSRP is just over $80k. If I were to want a E55, it looks like I could get one with the comparible options I want for around $85. In fact, the MB dealer a friend of mine uses has surplus stock and is offering some good deals on them right now, so I could probably get the same car for even less, or a car with more options for the same price.

I say again, at $85k, my hope is that the car will be pretty nicely equiped standard. Otherwise, if it approaches $100k with options, I'll likely pass.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Wild guess: car will be very well setup as standard, as BMW NA is in charge of this and they have a good history. I can see a few options adding at most $5k (exclusive of individual color setups).

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
Wild guess: car will be very well setup as standard, as BMW NA is in charge of this and they have a good history. I can see a few options adding at most $5k (exclusive of individual color setups).
definitley, as the E39 M5 was basically fully loaded at list price, and since we dont have Individual here, there shouldnt be many options except Sirius which is a MUST

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
vndkshn said:
Keep one thing in mind though, the E55 MSRP is just over $80k. If I were to want a E55, it looks like I could get one with the comparible options I want for around $85. In fact, the MB dealer a friend of mine uses has surplus stock and is offering some good deals on them right now, so I could probably get the same car for even less, or a car with more options for the same price.

I say again, at $85k, my hope is that the car will be pretty nicely equiped standard. Otherwise, if it approaches $100k with options, I'll likely pass.
I think the E55 price is the best reason that the M5 price will stay around $85K, and the car will be very well stocked with features as standard. It does sound like the allocation will be pretty slim.

·
Registered
49,477 Posts
BMW is hedged toward the dollar for a couple of years from now, so the currency does not have an effect.

BMW M told me in Paris that the M5 will hit the other side of the Atlantic (USA) around September October 2005, definetly not as late as 2006.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Gustav, But when did they start this 2 year hedge from as the dollar has been dropping against the Euro for quite some time and you cant hedge for ever.

·
Registered
73 Posts
vndkshn said:

Well said!! I totally agree with you....

1 - 20 of 53 Posts