BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently tried to order a set of OEM Carmel M5 embroidered floor mats and my source claims that they are discontinued. :sad2:

I haven't tried my local dealer yet but I expect the story will be the same.

Does anyone know of a source to find Carmel M5 floor mats? I am trying to bring my car up to it's original form and factory shine and this is one of the last things on my list.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I ran into the same issue myself in November of 2013. For what it's worth, black mats look amazing in the vehicle.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran into the same issue myself in November of 2013. For what it's worth, black mats look amazing in the vehicle.
Are OEM black mats still available?

I kind of the like the Carmel since the mud blends in well with them, black ones are so hard to keep clean with the mud and the salt.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Are OEM black mats still available?

I kind of the like the Carmel since the mud blends in well with them, black ones are so hard to keep clean with the mud and the salt.
OEM black are still available. I found that caramel was impossible to keep clean, so I switched to black :)

·
Registered
552 Posts
Though they are NOT exact OEM, I got new ones on eBay. They are virtually indistinguishable from the OEM only cleaner... for now.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am starting to lean towards the black. I am starting to think about buying a set of black mats and then doing a darn good job cleaning up my current Carmel mats. The carpet is actually in fantastic condition, just the backing disintegrated.

Black could look pretty good in the car.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Go withe black, looks good and much easier to keep clean. I have my brand-new caramel mats in a box in my garage storage closet. I'm keeping the set for sentimental value (hell, maybe I'll do a photo shoot with them one day) but I sure as hell won't be using them any time soon!

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I went with black as well since I don't have the full leather caramel interior. I have a two-tone caramel/black interior. For what its worth I ordered a brand new set of OEM M5 black mats from Tischer about 6 months ago. I'm sure they still them. (~$100-120 for set)

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I decided to take the plunge and order the black mats. $112.05 from tomkinsonbmwparts

I shall post photos once I get the mats, center console handle and upper auxiliary fan grill installed that I ordered. Also soon to come is a bunch of shiny new paint to fix all the rock chips and a new front bumper to replaced the original that has 3 cracks in it from the original owner of the car.

·
Registered
890 Posts
OEM quality for sure

Don't think OEM equates to durability. The velco corners ripped right out of my POS OEM mats.

There, that makes me feel better.

Attachments

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Don't think OEM equates to durability. The velco corners ripped right out of my POS OEM mats.

There, that makes me feel better.
That is exactly what happened to my original Caramel mats, but to a much more severe degree. Mine were so bad that I just ripped the foam off. Considering the interior quality is a step above the two e38 740iLs my parents have owned, the carpets are not as well constructed it seems. In 14 years of daily driving e38s never have the carpets done that.

I did get my black carpets in today! I will install them tomorrow, hopefully with pics to follow! :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you wash the OEM mats the backing with velcro will separate like this. I still attempt to throw them in the clothes washer as it's the only way to get caramel looking good again. I've used small dabs of gorrilla glue to re-adhere the velcro circles.

·
Registered
126 Posts
That is exactly what happened to my original Caramel mats, but to a much more severe degree. Mine were so bad that I just ripped the foam off. Considering the interior quality is a step above the two e38 740iLs my parents have owned, the carpets are not as well constructed it seems. In 14 years of daily driving e38s never have the carpets done that.

I did get my black carpets in today! I will install them tomorrow, hopefully with pics to follow! :)
I used my wife's glue gun she uses for her sawing to put it back together several years ago. I must have gone through two or three glue sticks but the lining is permanent now! :) I never had a problem since then.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts