BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there know the proper channels one could go through to get ahold of the elusive 'BMW Motorsport' door handles?

I noticed several members on an old thread stating as late as April '09 that the handles were still available, but they didn't mention how to go about getting ahold of them. Member JoriJori chief among them.

The situation is this: My car ('91, but prod. date of 5/1990) has them on the front doors. I have no idea how/when they got there. Recently the driver's side handle was damaged, and body shop that is repairing the car says it cannot fix the handle. They ordered a new handle (without the BMW Motorsport imprint) and were going to swap the pulls from one handle to the other. Unfortunately they say the new handle won't fit the inside of the door/lock mechanism. I'm not sure what the issue is, that's all they've told me.

It would make all of this much simpler if I could just order a new one. However, when the shop looked into this, BMW came back with NLA for the Motorsport handles.

Is there a special part number for these? Or a different channel that one could go through to reveal a secret stash of theses handles in a dusty warehouse in Germany? I really don't want to have miss-matched door handles, or go through the hassle of changing the passenger door over to a normal handle.

Any help/info/insight on this matter would be greatly appreciated! That includes suggestions as to why the handle the shop ordered for the car doesn't fit. Perhaps the retrofit for the Motorsport handle changed somethings within the door, and they need to order a door handle with a different part number?

·
Registered
49 Posts
call your local dealer theycan get them, or better yet, get intouch with either Evan or Jason at getbmwparts.com. They are still available and run about $245 each.

Sounds like your body shop is being lazy, I just checked on getbmwparts.com and both part numbers come up and are able to be ordered. they actually priced up at $180.60... even cheaper...

here ya go...

BMW MOTORSPORT 1 09/1991 51218199757 $243.29 Left Front
BMW MOTORSPORT 1 09/1991 51218199758 $243.29 Right Front

they must be keyed to your car when ordered, so VIN and proof of car ownership will be required.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi

I can get hold of these for you.

Are still available at £114.36 +vat each - price from January 2010. If you want me to price them for you i'd be happy to get a current price.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

You guys, and this board, are great!

I called my main dealer yesterday evening, myself, and was told the same thing, NLA. I'll give the shop this info and see where it goes.

Again, much thanks. If I get a chance, I hope to return the favor some day!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had to replace my left side handle years ago and the BMW MOtorsport handles were NLA at that time. I check from time to time, but they are still NLA from BMW.

·
Registered
49 Posts
here is another option, there is a guy here in NY that had a shop router the BMW MOTORSPORT letters onto a regular handle, I used to have side by side pictures of an original and the duplicate and would defy anyone to tell the difference. If memory serves me correctly, the guy was charging $25/ handle. If i can find the pictures, I will post them.

found them...

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't suppose you know the company who produced the handles in NY?

It was not a company producing them, if i remember correctly but rather an engraving type shop that quoted the car owner and then did them. I think he said the shop/guy used a router engraver to do it and built the pattern off of a hi res photo of the actual handle, I used to have the guys contact info as I considered doing it on my M3 but never did. I will look for it and post the contact info if i find it!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hi OhneKompromiss,

Yes I still have it, in fact the picture posted on the right is mine. I bought it from a member here Dscam. Unfortunately it wont fit my car (built HD91), according to my local BMW mechanic it will only fit on later car (>93).

It is still in new condition, if you want it I can sell it to you US$80 + shipping to US (~$50 via EMS, weight is ~1kg).

The best way is to take out your handle and compare the handle mechanism to mine. If you are interested, I can post more detail pictures. Let me know...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Jorijori,

I am definitely interested if yours is a driver's side handle.

I'm pretty sure my doors have already been modified to accept a '93 handle, as the '91 handle the shop tried to use wouldn't fit.

Can you post some detailed pictures, particularly of the back of the handle/mechanism?

Also, for those of you following along, getbmwparts.com can't actually get the Motorsport handles, either. Apparently, they get their parts from BMWNA, and since BMW lists these handles as NLA, they can't get them. They still have them in their catalog, however, hence the confusion.

·
Registered
584 Posts
They would be able to engrave "BMW individual" as well?:thinkerg:
While it'd be great to have the motorsport handles on my car, the individual handles would be more fitting since it's a BMW Individual Exclusive edition car. Forget if I've ever even seen pics of the BMW Individual handles...

So yeah, I'd probably order a new set & have them engraved with "BMW Individual" if at all possible.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Found the guy's email address, MRKhalfan at aol (dot) com . He runs an engraving shop and quoted $25 each handle to do, it can be anything you like... BMW Motorsport or BMW Individual or even anything else you can think of. I do not have his store name or phone number but do remember that it is somewhere in either Brooklyn or Queens, NY. His name is Hamid.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all the same Jori, but my pass. side handle is just fine. I just got the car back from the shop, and they managed to repair the damaged handle, since finding a replacement proved nearly impossible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts