BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on mounting OEM rears on the front with 265s, and I'm having a bit of a hard time finding a source for 3mm spacers and 3mm longer studs. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

B

·
0 Posts
Mike (Austin) said:
I'm planning on mounting OEM rears on the front with 265s, and I'm having a bit of a hard time finding a source for 3mm spacers and 3mm longer studs. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
The Tire Rack.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
TireRack is the easiest source. Call and ask for Luke. He's set up a lot of us with these. He can sell you the tires, too. The longer lug bolts only come in silver. If you want black, just buy a set of black plastic covers from LeatherZ.com.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
H&R

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Mike (Austin) said:
I can't help with the spacers, but 265's up front makes me wonder.... Are you tracking your baby?

I just relocated the family to Austin and haven't seen much in the way of signs of track days/weekend DE's around here. Of course, the public roads are pretty sweet!

But I need a track fix and wondered if you knew of any such no-good activity.

Thanks
-Dave

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Teutonaddict said:
I can't help with the spacers, but 265's up front makes me wonder.... Are you tracking your baby?

I just relocated the family to Austin and haven't seen much in the way of signs of track days/weekend DE's around here. Of course, the public roads are pretty sweet!

But I need a track fix and wondered if you knew of any such no-good activity.

Thanks
-Dave
Absolutely. I am active in the local Z club (Datsun/Nissan) and there are probably at least half a dozen events coming up this year. There are two DE events coming up in June - June 4-5 and June 10 at TWS. Hit me up on PM for details.

The 265s are for "around town". Just happened to have a pair, and I hear it is a good setup. I'm working on building up an early model Z for track days (dedicated race car = no insurance beefs.)

Meanwhile, I'd be interested in getting the local M5 owners together for a cruise - there are several coming up this month and next.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Need4Spd said:
TireRack is the easiest source. Call and ask for Luke. He's set up a lot of us with these. He can sell you the tires, too. The longer lug bolts only come in silver. If you want black, just buy a set of black plastic covers from LeatherZ.com.
Yeah - I know Luke as a fellow TTZ owner. I've hunted around for H&R 3mm spacers without much luck. Seems like Tire Rack is it. Thanks to all for the feedback!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
The Tire Rack part number for the 3mm spacer is TR358.

Sometimes it helps to have this part number in case your rep (anyone other than Luke) claims ignorance of the existance of these spacers. It's not their standard practice to sell spacers unless they are also selling a wheel package at the same time.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Are 3mm spacers required to prevent rubbing when running the fatter (rear) Wheels up front? Or is this just a preventative solution?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
boostmiser said:
Are 3mm spacers required to prevent rubbing when running the fatter tires up front? Or is this just a preventative solution?
The issue comes up when you run the wider rear wheels in front. I'll let others who have done this (e.g., rebel1) comment. But I wanted to make sure you understood it was the wider wheels with different offset that cause the problem, not just wider tires.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Yes, my typing/terminology mistake. I did know that.
It's on my list to possibly run a set of rear wheels up front so that's why I figured I should be prepared for spacers...if you say they are necessary.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
stever said:
Tire Rack also has 3mm longer wheel bolts. These may not be necessary but i thought them good insurance on track.
They are absolutely necessary! If you use your stock wheel bolts with the 3mm spacers and try to torque them to 88 lb-ft, you will probably strip your hub. And there will be so few threads engaged that your wheel might fly right off under any serious lateral loads.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
The issue comes up when you run the wider rear wheels in front. I'll let others who have done this (e.g., rebel1) comment. But I wanted to make sure you understood it was the wider wheels with different offset that cause the problem, not just wider tires.
Dave is correct, with the rear wheels up front you CAN get some rubbing on the strut. In my case it was so slight that I didn't worry about it. Others have reported significant rubbing to the point that they couldn't drive that way -- it depends on your specific clearances. I went with the spacers to bring the wheel back to factory "centering" specs. It helps with tramlining and heavy corning. Highly recommend it.

I also second Dave's comment about absolutely requiring the longer bolts!

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Yes, go with the spacers if you use rear wheels up front. The clearance on the inside at the strut will be too tight if you don't, and besides, this puts the scrub radius back exactly the same as the front wheels so as to minimize tramlining. And use the longer bolts, too, for the safety reasons that Dave mentions. I couldn't find any matching black extra long bolts so went with silver ones and black covers. You can get the covers at LeatherZ.com. You can hardly tell once they're on. Be sure to remove them before taking the car in for service or the mechanic will not notice and just rip them with the air wrench.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Does anyone know the Tire Rack part number for 3mm longer lug bolts for use with 3mm spacers?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
M Macht said:
Does anyone know the Tire Rack part number for 3mm longer lug bolts for use with 3mm spacers?
Post #8 above...

:)

Many of the guys will tell you "We don't sell spacers" or "We only sell them when we sell wheel packages"

Call Luke and say "M5 rears on front" and he'll be all over it..

A

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
ard said:
Post #8 above...

:)

Many of the guys will tell you "We don't sell spacers" or "We only sell them when we sell wheel packages"

Call Luke and say "M5 rears on front" and he'll be all over it..

A
To reach Luke, dial (888)541-1777 and as soon as the recorded message starts up, press "3", wait a half second for the prompt to enter the extension, then press "362".

1 - 18 of 18 Posts