BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bear with me.....every time I turn my car off and get out to go to the boot (trunk), I hear an odd sound which closely resembles the dying breath of a donkey. It sounds like it's coming from the rear suspension, it's not a squeak, more of a wheezing creak - an eeeoor!

Mines a 2012 so might be party to the SIB issued against the rear suspension for a knocking sound. Problem is mines not a knock, it's like an adjustable damper is releasing and creaking. Has anyone seen or heard similar?

It's going into the dealer in three weeks to be looked at as well as a few other small niggles (got to love a warranty).

Max

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
2,432 Posts
Interesting description of the noise haha, just wondering if it could be a few things. does your car have soft close doors? the motors in the door can make an odd sound like a muffled whine when closing the door. It could also be the fuel pump priming, which can sound like that whooshing sort of hiss. Just trying to think of other things it could be. I hope you figure it out, noises are so annoying.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I do have soft close doors. The thing is it makes the noise even if I leave the door open. As for the fuel pump, it's too odd a sound for it to be the pump priming. It's more like a spring/shock groaning.

I'll post an update in a few weeks if BMW get to the bottom of it.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Bear with me.....every time I turn my car off and get out to go to the boot (trunk), I hear an odd sound which closely resembles the dying breath of a donkey. It sounds like it's coming from the rear suspension, it's not a squeak, more of a wheezing creak - an eeeoor!

Mines a 2012 so might be party to the SIB issued against the rear suspension for a knocking sound. Problem is mines not a knock, it's like an adjustable damper is releasing and creaking. Has anyone seen or heard similar?

It's going into the dealer in three weeks to be looked at as well as a few other small niggles (got to love a warranty).

Max

Yep, mine's done this since day one but not every time i park up, just most. I don't tend to hear it out & about, only when parking up in my garage.

I've always assumed it's linked to the handbrake as tends to be heard a few seconds after i get out of the car, but could be anything really & i'd describe it as a medium pitched creaking noise.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I know the noise you mean, and if you listen very carefully, it happens as you move around at walking speeds too, like parking/traffic jams etc. It's louder with the roof and/or windows open. Like a wheezing old donkey on its last breath... Or maybe you ran over a donkey and mine's just a little hoarse? :wink (sorry, couldn't resist).

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry I took so long to reply, I simply missed it. I didn't get to the bottom of it, the garage could not re-create the sound. It was wet when they had it ( for a week) and never seems to happen when damp. I'm thinking it is associated with the handbrake.....or it really is a donkey.

·
Registered
960 Posts
My m5 does it and the wifes x5 and the m5 e60 also squeeks sometimes when getting out

Kinda funny because ive never had a another car brand make handbrake noises

1 - 10 of 10 Posts