BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's currently good for our ///M's? I've never gotten into sound systems and don't know where to start. Like many, I enjoy listening to music on a great stereo. M-audio came with mine; In comparison to the E60's Logic-7, it stinks... I would love to enhance the sound in a stealth way. I just barely have enough room in the trunk for luggage, with the subwoofers robbing space, and most certainly don't want anything bulky. The use of the fold-down seats is a must. Alpine, JBL, and BSW are a few I've seen online. What do you all suggest as far as quality and reliability?

:)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
If you want a somewhat bolt-in solution, then a lot of members have gone the Bavarion Soundwerks route - BMW Audio, BMW iPod, Speakers, Subwoofers, & more | BSW: Bavarian Soundwerks

IMHO, it is pricy for what you get though.

If you don't mind doing some work yourself, then check out the links in this post:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...equently-asked-questions-faq.html#post1635338

And I have some pics of my sub install in this thread somewhere:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...8766-subs-rear-shelve-worth-adding-can-i.html

Reactions: bmwluvr4evr

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I was thinking of posting a similar thread. I have searched and searched for info on this subject and I am sill not sure what to do.

I want to keep the factory dash unit (nav screen/radio) but upgrade the speakers. I looked at the BSW and read the threads about them and they sound like a good option but they are pricey and on back order.

so what other speaker options are there keeping the rest stock? I have the M audio as well.

one other question is the M audio the DSP?

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want a somewhat bolt-in solution, then a lot of members have gone the Bavarion Soundwerks route - BMW Audio, BMW iPod, Speakers, Subwoofers, & more | BSW: Bavarian Soundwerks

IMHO, it is pricy for what you get though.

If you don't mind doing some work yourself, then check out the links in this post:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...equently-asked-questions-faq.html#post1635338

And I have some pics of my sub install in this thread somewhere:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...8766-subs-rear-shelve-worth-adding-can-i.html
Awesome work you did there! I checked out your diy :)

Got another question. Has anyone switched out their old speakers with the ones from bsw and did it improve the sound?

BMW Speakers, BMW Speaker Kits, BMW Replacement Speakers | BSW

·
Registered
355 Posts
Got another question. Has anyone switched out their old speakers with the ones from bsw and did it improve the sound?
Yes, and YES. I was less than impressed with the M-audio system and have a good deal of experience installing custom systems in my past cars (anything from a Gallant to a 350Z) and decided an upgrade was in order. I've done complete overhauls with multiple amps, components, subs, new wiring, etc but didn't feel like going to those lengths with the M. Even with those complete overhauls I kept stock grills, hid the amps, no silly stickers, very much stealth installs. I want good sound quality, not to impress the 17 year old down the street with dual 12"s and a hearing problem.

The BSW system cleans up the mids and especially the highs a great deal, much improved imaging and clarity. It does emphasize how utterly craptacular the M audio subs are though, I'm still seriously considering BSW's subwoofer option. Yes, BSW does cost more than individual components, but it is pretty much drop in, very stealthy and mostly a straightforward install. You keep the factory door enclosures, wiring, and locations....

BSW will tell you that the Stage One kit is not for M-audio cars anymore, this is technically true as they don't give you a couple of brackets for the coaxial rear tweeters. (M audio has a mid woofers AND tweeters in the read deck, base audio has only mid woofers in the rear deck and tweeters in the rear doors) You can use the OEM M-audio brackets though, check out my DIY notes on installing BSW I in a M-audio car below. These are annotations on the instructions BSW provides:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e3...167319-bsw-stage-1-m-audio-install-notes.html

I'm happy with the BSW solution, I know I could get even better sound quality from a custom install with better amps, dynamatting, etc but if I assign ANY value whatsoever to my time it doesn't work out cost-wise. There is NO WAY I'd let Best Buy or most of the custom sound shops get their hands on the M, to many horror stories. I'd rather spend my time replacing hoses, CPS sensors, fuel level senders, etc.... :grinyes:

·
Registered
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm happy with the BSW solution, I know I could get even better sound quality from a custom install with better amps, dynamatting, etc but if I assign ANY value whatsoever to my time it doesn't work out cost-wise. There is NO WAY I'd let Best Buy or most of the custom sound shops get their hands on the M, to many horror stories. I'd rather spend my time replacing hoses, CPS sensors, fuel level senders, etc.... :grinyes:
I totally agree. It's very uneasy to leave your car just anywhere and give the keys to a stranger. Valet is bad enough...

Thanks for the link to the thread you made. I'll be sure to read it thoroughly ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts