BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the M5's have any sound stock? Im thinking specifically of the US 3.6 models, but any of the other e34's would do too. Bought my car with very loud exhaust and Im just wondering what the stock sound is like?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am looking for a eisenmann exhaust for my M5 3.8

Any interest in some sort of a trade? Your exhaust for my mint stock exhaust with 62k miles? I'm in Boston.

Regards, Ed

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Point8 said:
I am looking for a eisenmann exhaust for my M5 3.8

Any interest in some sort of a trade? Your exhaust for my mint stock exhaust with 62k miles? I'm in Boston.

Regards, Ed
That is what Im interested in doing. I have one other member interested in doing the same. I would want a little cash as well for the trade though.
So is there any sound to your M5? Or is it basically silent?

·
Registered
970 Posts
I have a stock exhaust on my 3.8, it has low rumble at idle and builds to a cresecendo at 7400rpm.

I think one thing to bear in mind is the amount of development work that went into these exhaust by the BMW engineers. I think it is very difficult to improve in anyway, other than the sound note.

Bear in mind that these were the original 'Q' cars, the orginal 'Wolf in sheeps clothing'. Any change to this would just be crass and move way from the orginal intentions.

This is only my personal opinion.

Your car, your call?

redl1nerpm said:
That is what Im interested in doing. I have one other member interested in doing the same. I would want a little cash as well for the trade though.

·
Registered
546 Posts
redl1nerpm said:
Basically silent as compared to the sport systems out there. It is also about twice as heavy. Cost for any system is about equal. B&B is actually cheaper though there is no resonator therefore loud. As mentioned the stock system pipes are large enough so there is little gain other than weight savings and increase in note in after market.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Not sure how long the aftermarket exhausts last? But my stock exhaust is 14 years old this month and looks in excellent shape.

The 3.8 exhaust will not fit the 3.6.

unesential said:
Basically silent as compared to the sport systems out there. It is also about twice as heavy. Cost for any system is about equal. B&B is actually cheaper though there is no resonator therefore loud. As mentioned the stock system pipes are large enough so there is little gain other than weight savings and increase in note in after market.

·
Registered
546 Posts
yewcorner said:
Not sure how long the aftermarket exhausts last? But my stock exhaust is 14 years old this month and looks in excellent shape.

The 3.8 exhaust will not fit the 3.6.
It should last long enough. The original lasted 107000 miles. The replacement wont see that much use as it is now semi retired to weekend jaunts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts