BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm upgrading my M6 Cabrio 2007 to M6 Cabrio 2010 for a low mileage find. I finally have the two cars side by side and my 2007 sounds so much deeper, throatier, it really rumbles. The 2010 sounds smooth but seems to have the same power. The 2007 has sounded this way since I got it w 20k miles on it and no mods that I know of.

These are exactly the same engines, right?

The exhausts look the same from what I can see.

Any ideas on why my 2007 sounds so much better? Could it be a software mod that I don't know about?

Help me out, I don't want to give up my rumble.

c

·
Registered
274 Posts
It's hard to say without knowing if there any differences in the complete exhaust setup including the headers and back. If your exhaust is truly a completely stock system then maybe your cats burned themselves up and it's creating a deeper sound. Just my pure speculation with the little information given.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
Look under the car. Prim cats, sec cats, resonator, mufflers,....these are the same on stock cars. Due to age, any of these components can degrade and breakdow. Salt, humidity, rust, oil, etc.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Psing23, that sounds like a very reasonable explanation. Everything on the 2007 is looser, makes sense that more sound is getting through. I am going to post another question about steering in a separate thread. I will note that the jumping that happenns accelerating from a stop up to 2nd gear is completely gone in the 2010 . Every mechanic for the past 6 years has told me that its just the way the M6 is made and there is no solution. Now it looks like replacing something in the gas feed or trans would have fixed the 2007. Its been very interesting comparing the cars that are supposed to be exactly the same.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts