BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a pair for the front.

Been using Michelin Pilot Sport - provide a great balance between grip and wear, but sh1t! They're expensive!!

What recommendations are on here for 245/40x18s? To be honest, wear rate is probably more important to me than overall grip........

And then of course, I'll want to know the cheapest place to buy them!

Cheers,

R

·
Registered
396 Posts
hey

try the bf goodrich that an very good tyre made by michelin and the price ind denmark is about 210 euro

bay

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
My favourites are Bridgestone S02, but they're discontinued and therefore rare (or old if you can find them).

The S03 is also good.

Continental Conti Sport Contacts are reasonable and cheap

Goodyear Eagle F1s - heard lots of good stuff about these, but those at the Hertford Heath meet will note that I replaced a bald pair of S03s with them, the F1s had me understeering much more than the S03s, even in the wet. I was disappointed, but lots of people have good things to say about them....

I've often used http://www.johnsonstyres.com. Good prices and quick delivery.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
The cheapest, decent tyre is probably the Kumho Ecsta KU31 which are about £90 from www.mytyres.co.uk - the next in the list would probably be the Goodyear F1 GSD3 for about £120 - then they just get more expensive right up to about £200 for run-flats.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
What about Falken?
Hmm. What about them? They probably meet the minimum safety requirements....

I know a chap whose M3 Evo wears these, but he doesn't *want* any grip in the wet.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
AndyE said:
Hmm. What about them? They probably meet the minimum safety requirements....

I know a chap whose M3 Evo wears these, but he doesn't *want* any grip in the wet.
I replaced the Pirelli P-Zeros on the rear, 265/40/17 with the same size in Falken 451 and have noticed no difference at all.

Would have put Pirelli on again but was feeling poor at the time.

Just my note.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
IvanDias said:
I replaced the Pirelli P-Zeros on the rear, 265/40/17 with the same size in Falken 451 and have noticed no difference at all.
Hmm. Not sure on the model number, but whatever model his were, they wore very quickly, but ALSO had little/no traction in the wet. Perhaps I'm putting down the whole range for one bad tyre...

·
Registered
337 Posts
Rob Plummer said:
Cheers guys.

What about Falken?
I have Falken FK451's on the M5 and also have them on the M3 and they are fine in the wet, plenty of grip and communicate well when they are about to lose grip.

I had SO2's on the M5 before and would say that the Falkens are pretty close. The price was not the deciding factor for me.

Cheers

·
Registered
389 Posts
I never used falcons on my M5, (not owned it long enough!!) but have used them in the past on other cars and found them excellent both in terms of life and grip

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello,

I agrre with Bay,
Try the new BF Goodrich g-Force Profiler,
I have them in 17" and are very very good, and not so expensive as the Michelins,

Good Luck

Regards
Sebas
1993 M5 Touring Daytona Violet

·
Registered
395 Posts
I bought my car with a bunch of free Avons (its a long story). Currently working my way through a set of ZZ3's (way way better than awful ZZ1's).

I can't say I have any complaints.....very predictable in all conditions if maybe a little 'heavy' construction wise. Wear rate's ok but not great especially front tyre shoulder's. I'd buy another set at £110 each....and there's something to be said for sticking with a tyre you know....unless they really are bad!

Tyre prices are very variable at the moment, daily price changes so shop around.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Hi Rob

I've always run the Goodyear F1s. Last about 10k miles (17") and although this is no good to you, there about £117 in the 18" (London Mike sourced them) size from Bracknell Tyre & Battery.

Rob Plummer said:
Need a pair for the front.

Been using Michelin Pilot Sport - provide a great balance between grip and wear, but sh1t! They're expensive!!

What recommendations are on here for 245/40x18s? To be honest, wear rate is probably more important to me than overall grip........

And then of course, I'll want to know the cheapest place to buy them!

Cheers,

R

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Have been using Bridgestone RE 050 in that size for a while now on an A8 3.3tdi with pleasure. Would otherwise go for PZeroRosso or Conti SportContact only if available VERY cheap, and I don't have them cheaply right now.

I've got a buddy working at a tire wholesaler at the docks, so I can buy cheaply from him, fresh from the container. I also use that road to keep my friends on decent rubber cheaply. Stock varies, but this is my offer currently:

245/40 18:
Bridgestone RE 050 €167.70 incl tax ex fitting
Conti SportContact2 €191.10
Pirelli PZeroRosso €198

PLEASE NOTE: PRICES IN EURO'S!!!

Rob Plummer said:

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Got some SO2`s from Wembley Tyres about 6 weeks ago for £120+VAT 245/40/18 but he cant get 265/35 anymore but got 255/45/18 for the 740i for £100+VAT BBBBBBBBBBBARGAIN :7:

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Steve Mac said:
but he cant get 265/35 anymore
If it's 265/35 17 you're talking about neither can anyone else. The B3/B6 and B8 guys in the Alpina section are having trouble sourcing them as well. Michelin only makes a batch every few years.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Stevie said:
If it's 265/35 17 you're talking about neither can anyone else. The B3/B6 and B8 guys in the Alpina section are having trouble sourcing them as well. Michelin only makes a batch every few years.
Many thanks but it was 18`s :byebye:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts