BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moderators--sorry this is OT, but if you could just leave it for a day before moving--thanks!

Short story (hey I'm trying here:biggrin: )--
Was just finishing up about 275 miles of track time late this afternoon when I noticed the SES light come on (this is in my '01 M Coupe- engine). Almost immedaitely I noticed a slight jerking and then a loss of power. Took the car off track right away. Noticed as the car is idling it sounded rough--atypical for this car. Waited about an hour and left to drive to the hotel. At first SES was off, then after about 30 seconds it relit. Idle remained rough--car would stall when I slowed down to come to a stop, turn. All guages looked good.

Oh great M5 brains out there, do you have any help/advice?? I've got two more track days left. I'm trying to track down a code reader and there's rumors of some techs being at the track. Did I kill my poor car:crying: :crying: :crying:

Thanks so much!!

Anita

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
It's unlikely that it is dead. But might need some repair.

You really will need a code reader to know what is wrong. I've had that behavior from bad O2 sensors, Bad MAFs, or a bad exhaust cam sensor. All are easily repaired, but you'll need parts.

The only one that you could "fix" without replacement is possibly cleaning the MAFs. It's a shot in the dark, but who knows. It might just work.

Good luck.

:M5rev:

·
Registered
626 Posts
Anita

I had a pair of track days earlier this year where I arrived the first morning with an occasional miss and within the first hour I had an SES light and it would only barely run. I nursed it around the track at gentle throttle for two days, then took it to the dealer. It was a bad spark plug connector between the coil and the plug. The spark was arcing to the cylinder head and the catalyst damage control circuit kept shutting the cylinder down to keep unburned gas out of the cat. The engine ran like crap until it was fixed but the root cause was a $10 part.

By the way, the only code it threw was "Uncommanded Misfire" - the ECU couldn't figure out why the cylinder wouldn't fire.

Nurse it or switch cars, but don't worry about it - BMW engines are built like tanks.

Cheers
JJ

·
Registered
530 Posts
Anita:

You're probably at the track by now, but--check all wires, connectors everything right down to the gas cap....that many track miles is bound to loosen up something..

Good Luck,

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Anita, A few of us have the Ease diagnostics system ( http://www.obd2.com/ )
which can check many of the cars functions and reset error codes.
I found my bad cat this way(showed missing on that cyl bank, pre O2 sensor was leaning out).
But it might be a good tool as it can record data during a few laps on the track.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanks so much for all the ideas! I'll explore them in more detail shortly.

What I ended up doing this am was starting the car again--still very rough.

I then rode in flatbed with my poor baby back down to Madison (about 2 hrs one way), dropped it at my dealers', hopped a cab to my house, pushed the M3 out of the "inner" garage and flew back to the track:7: Managed to slap the numbers on it and get it out for the first of two pm sessions. I'm like OK, nothing like running a new car at RA in the advanced group with everyone else having a half day under their belt--what a hoot. :M5eyes:
Met another M5'er too!

More later and thanks again!

Anita

·
Registered
298 Posts
Anita said:
I'm like OK, nothing like running a new car at RA in the advanced group with everyone else having a half day under their belt--what a hoot.
Guys, don't let her fool you, she did just fine in her E46 M3, not a bad replacement for the M Coupe... Another day of mayhem begins at 7:00am tomorrow the weather forecast for Wisconsin is a 90% chance of rain.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Anita said:
Cool, thanks so much for all the ideas! I'll explore them in more detail shortly.

What I ended up doing this am was starting the car again--still very rough.

I then rode in flatbed with my poor baby back down to Madison (about 2 hrs one way), dropped it at my dealers', hopped a cab to my house, pushed the M3 out of the "inner" garage and flew back to the track:7: Managed to slap the numbers on it and get it out for the first of two pm sessions. I'm like OK, nothing like running a new car at RA in the advanced group with everyone else having a half day under their belt--what a hoot. :M5eyes:
Met another M5'er too!

More later and thanks again!

Anita

If it's the M coupe with S54 engine (M3) then I am going to guess ignition coils. It's a known problem with the car and it's symptoms are everything you listed.

Good Luck. :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Whew! I feel very lucky! It was a faulty ignition coil. It had come off, so I was one cylinder was down. Apparently the computer trys to adapt which causes the stalling and limping (?) Is this a pretty easy do-it-yourself fix? My SA said this is a common problem. Looks like you would have to take that "cover" off?

The hubby freaked when he found out how many miles I had driven that day (at first I really underexagerrated :D )--he thought I had run the car into the ground--so I'm outa trouble.....for now hiha Should have kept the faith that my car was way tougher then me!

As jhowton predicted, the weather was pretty nasty on Sunday. We ended up running all day, with occasional delays due to rain and fog (a first for me!). But the worst thing was having to drive a car that had been modded (the E46 M3)--I've been to the dark side now--I'm ruined for life. :p It has a Magnaflow exhaust (hella loud in the car when in 6th).

It was a tough weekend for several of our car buddies--one scraped wall (driver's OK), a broken tie rod, diff problem. Even jhowton ended up with what looked like a franken-wheel. He had several busted lug bolts and had to make do--probably because he melted them off going so fast :M5launch:

And the M5er I met drove 'till the bitter, foggy end on Sunday--way to go!!!!! He was from the Twin Cities area. He and his father have owned the silver M5 since '99. If you see this schnelleM5, maybe you know him? He was with 3 other folks, one of whom worked at Motorwerks? Anyway, jhowton, did you get any pics of his car--I got a couple of poor ones (sorry) I can post.

And finally, I even got to practice my witty retorts too--on a T and T guy with the P car and hauler (and personal tuner) beside me. He looked like he'd been itching to say something all day. So when I was brushing my hair (hey, this was like the first time I did it all day and it was all woo woo woo, all over the place), he asks if I have all my hair care products laid out there in front of me on my tarp. Right quick and sassy-like I told him, "Cut me a brake--you gotta admit this is the first girlie thing you've seen me do all day!" and he backed down--pretty good comeback, huh?! HA HA HA

But THANKS AGAIN for all the help from my fellow board members!!!! :15:

Anita

·
Registered
837 Posts
Glad to hear its nothing serious, hopefully you get up and running soon, in between brushing your hair, Joshkinggf

·
Registered
298 Posts
bwstein said:
Alright, I'll bite. Anyone know the story on the Buick? Doesn't seem like the ideal track car to me.
I don't know the story, i didn't talk to him. He wasn't going very fast, although I suppose that's a given. He gets credit for trying though, I am not sure I'd want to be at Road America in that land yacht.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just uploaded 3 of the pics I have of the M5 to the board gallery--as soon as the approval gods give the ok, I'll post links for them!

Thanks for you pics, Jamie!

Anita

1 - 18 of 18 Posts