BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm the guy that bought the Zyclamrot / Bologna M5 on BaT last month. I'm happy to announce that she should be on a ship this weekend making her way towards the US, arriving in Galveston around the 8th of August.

My plan is to fly out and pick her up at the docks and then drive home to New Mexico. I'd love any introductions to good folks to meet along the way, sights to see, and roads not to be missed along the way. Preferences are to take the back roads versus interstate, although knowing her autobahn roots I'd love to find some big wide open roads to explore the right hand side of the dial.

Looking forward to being a contributor to this forum; I've had multiple E28s and a 2002tii for years, but this will be my first M and my first S38 - both long time personal life goals. I'm blessed.

Fire away with suggestions!

·
10,442 Posts
congratulations and welcome. That's a really special car, i think you got a great deal!Look forward to some pics when it's here.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Phil,

Congrats on a very cool car! As Brent said I am in Fort Worth and have, um, a few of these cars. If you're taking a northerly route from Galveston back to NM, would love to meet, take a look at the car, and perhaps shoot some comparison photos with Zyclam next to Calypso!

The better twisty driving roads are located generally in the center of the state, going through the hill country region around Austin and San Antonio. Now if you just want long and straight, any of the interstates and highways heading through west TX to the NM border will fit the bill! Just don't expect the scenery to change much, lol.

Brian

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The latest word from the shipper is that the car should be in Galveston around the middle of the month - paperwork took a little longer to get straight so we caught a later boat.

Brian, I'm thinking I could meander up through Austin and on to Fort Worth before turning West. I'd love to see your collection and compare notes. My email is my username at gmail, shoot me a line and we can figure out what works

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mea culpa - guilty as charged! But in my defense, the last time I tried posting photos things went very, very sideways. I'll try one out now, then if it works out I'll post more....

Here's the car as I first saw her, at the Galveston port

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Of course, like any good European car in Texas in the summer the AC died within the first 20 minutes. Fortunately I met up with a great group of '02 fanatics in Austin.....

...who put me in touch with Layne Wylie in Weatherford who helped me troubleshoot the issue. Turns out it was simply a broken belt, the compressor and air pump were in good condition. Layne was incredible in loaning the use of tools, jack and multiple trips to the local auto parts supply. We couldn't find an exact match, so we shotgunned the issue....

Cool running, or at least for another couple thousand miles.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
After fixing the AC, we met up with Brian C and his Daytona Violet Euro M5 who popped by for a visit and comparo

Mine is the one with the bugs all over

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Made it thru Texas...

...to the Land of Entrapment...

Everyone needs space aliens on a road trip...

As well as curves

Met up with the family for dinner at the Cerrillos station...

...and made it home in time for sunset on the back porch

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Loving the gaskets, great quality and good to have Shogun’s work available nearby. Starting to work thru the punch list now...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
91Champagne
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing