BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious .......

I noticed that while playing the radio the song/title displays sometimes which is fine with me.

However when I play CDs or CDs (burned with mp3s) there is no song/title display.

Am I missing something ?

Is that normal ??

2002 BMW M5

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm not 100% but I think this information is sent by the radio station itself (RDS?) and is nothing to do with the unit. The unit doesn't understand text like mediaplayer does on a PC (it's older technology).

Regards,

Gary.

gramsay said:
Just curious .......

I noticed that while playing the radio the song/title displays sometimes which is fine with me.

However when I play CDs or CDs (burned with mp3s) there is no song/title display.

Am I missing something ?

Is that normal ??

2002 BMW M5

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grp said:
I'm not 100% but I think this information is sent by the radio station itself (RDS?) and is nothing to do with the unit. The unit doesn't understand text like mediaplayer does on a PC (it's older technology).

Regards,

Gary.
Yikes, my NAV is outdated already and cant handle mp3 title info.

No problem, I can live with out that feature.

Was just curious.

·
Registered
158 Posts
grp is correct.

The radio has RDS, which picks up song and title from stations that support it. There is no support for CD-Text or MP3 text. I'd buy the excuse that it's old technology if the 8 year old Eclipse CD in my 325 didn't have it ;)

·
Registered
977 Posts
There must be a consipiracy between the electronics makers who make the car manufacturers cd/nav system to not include some really basic features. CD-Text is ANCIENT in terms of technology, and ID3 tag display is pretty old hat now. Even the cheapest aftermarket CD players will do both.

Most car manufactuers CD/NAV systems are made by manufactuers who make aftermarket systems, so I they must not want to include it to boost aftermarket sales or something. The in car systems that come with cars are always vastly behind in the technology curve comparative to the rest of the car... I never understood it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if i am not mistaken there is a way of getteing id3 tags and playing MP3s in an e39..The problem is that the cd changer has to be changed to newer style apline mp3 changer.This should then display track and artist name.

hope this helps :flag:

·
Registered
36 Posts
01's and I beleive 02's came with two types of CD changers, one is alpine and the other one name is escaping me right now. Does anyone know what model of alpine is mp3 compatibile and if this is a pure aftermarket item or did it come oem? Thanks!
-Mo

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dunno what model alpine MP3 changer it was, it has been a while but i will check it up for you. Its strictly an aftermaket upgrade and not OEM:( .

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
There are many BMW tip and trick places to obtain info relating to upgrading the DSP E39 cars to play mp3's. The aftermarket provides plug and play modular adapters that allow a non-expert to install one very easily. You don't have to tear the car apart or use special tools or solder. Several newer E39-compliant adapters have come to market that access songs faster and and offer excellent sound quality.

The total cost for this upgrade is around $500 & that includes the Alpine changer.

This mp3-CD changer "solution" is in direct competition with Phatbox and other hard drive based solutions for E39 that are now quite cheap. Some folks like the option of retaining a CD changer in the trunk, but a trunk hard drive solution with dash CD is quite flexible too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i know phat box, but what other comany is developing this type of system compatible with this model
Lscman said:
There are many BMW tip and trick places to obtain info relating to upgrading the DSP E39 cars to play mp3's. The aftermarket provides plug and play modular adapters that allow a non-expert to install one very easily. You don't have to tear the car apart or use special tools or solder. Several newer E39-compliant adapters have come to market that access songs faster and and offer excellent sound quality.

The total cost for this upgrade is around $500 & that includes the Alpine changer.

This mp3-CD changer "solution" is in direct competition with Phatbox and other hard drive based solutions for E39 that are now quite cheap. Some folks like the option of retaining a CD changer in the trunk, but a trunk hard drive solution with dash CD is quite flexible too.

·
Registered
12,926 Posts
Lscman said:
Some folks like the option of retaining a CD changer in the trunk, but a trunk hard drive solution with dash CD is quite flexible too.
How can we add a dash CD even if it means upgrading the CD player in the trunk? I would be very interested in this option.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
158 Posts
maz750 said:
if i am not mistaken there is a way of getteing id3 tags and playing MP3s in an e39..The problem is that the cd changer has to be changed to newer style apline mp3 changer.This should then display track and artist name.

hope this helps :flag:
I looked into this a bit. The updated changer will give you mp3 playback, but won't give you id3 tag display. The main downside that I found in searching is the skip is one track at a time, so for a 100 track mp3 CD, it takes a long time to navigate.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Every one, does any one know the part number for the cd changer that will in fact display the titles.? I would like to get one.

Thanks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
M5Racer said:
Hi Every one, does any one know the part number for the cd changer that will in fact display the titles.? I would like to get one.

Thanks.
This is what I looked into. I don't believe there is an upgrade that will display title/artist info on the Nav display unit. Even if the new changer supported it, the display software in the Nav unit wouldn't be looking for it and would just ignore it. I believe it gets very limited info from the changer.

I would like to be wrong about this ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts