BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sons prom is coming up, and he has been asking me to take my M5... should i let him... what would you do

has anyones kids crash your M series?

james

·
Registered
230 Posts
when i went to prom, i took my dad's 69 corvette convertible to the actual prom dance and back. i then had to change to my car to go out and party afterwards. my friend did the same in his dads Ferrari. we both did not drink a drop while driving the cars even though it was offered many times. could be a good thing as he will respect the car and himself by not drinking, but bad thing for the clutch and any sort of high speed problems. if any drinking is involved, let him take the m5 to the actual dance, bring it home after and set them up with a limo. we did this, but we also went to the quarter in new orleans afterwards.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My sons prom is coming up, and he has been asking me to take my M5... should i let him... what would you do

james
Did you miss the E60 M5 tlying off a hill into a tree in Florida full of teenagers? That thread was around for a while. I think Isuslu has a good idea. Thank god I didnt have a car like this when I was 17, or we wouldnt be having this conversation. I was a nut (well... I still kind of am) but without the right experience at the time. :hihi:

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you have to ask...NO.

I was supposed to take my aunt's Vette to my prom but it was backed into so I took my father's Fiat Spyder. None of us drank until the after party which we had at a hotel so the cars weren't in any danger.

That was my group of friends. However, google newspaper articles of post-prom accidents and you will see many less respnsible kids.

BTW, we feared our dad's. I knew if I put one scratch on the car he would kick my arse. I hired a limo for my daughters prom.

·
Registered
145 Posts

james

You know your son better than any member on this board. I have a feeling this is going to go into the Florida incidents direction in terms of replies. I think you can answer this question better than any of us. Just take all the prom experience that you have had and heard about and think whether or not your M5 included in that equation is smart or not.

GREATM5DANE

·
Registered
230 Posts
BTW, we feared our dad's. I knew if I put one scratch on the car he would kick my arse.
Heard That!!!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Your son is most likely a very good young man, but the temptations of the moment at the prom can be overwhelming.
If anything ever happened to him, you would spend the rest of your life wishing that you had handled this differently.
With that said, I reccomend you rent him a stretch limo and driver.
You will sleep better on prom night, and possibly for the rest of your life.

Al. Wise

·
Registered
144 Posts
depends on the kid. only you know how he will treat the privilege. I certainly would not let him take the car overnight anywhere. Maybe the the dance and back home to get another car.. but that is depending on the kid.

·
Registered
571 Posts
You know your son better than any member on this board. I have a feeling this is going to go into the Florida incidents direction in terms of replies. I think you can answer this question better than any of us. Just take all the prom experience that you have had and heard about and think whether or not your M5 included in that equation is smart or not.

GREATM5DANE
We all SHOULD know our kids but some don't. However well we know our kids, we must factor in peer influence which can be overwhelming with others in the car. Take into consideration the circumstances. On a special date to a prom, possibly 4 persons in the car, 400 hp M5, kids just wanting to see "what the car can do" (and hopefully no drugs or alcohol). May not happen that way, but all kids have known to make bad decisions. Safer to rent a limo.

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
SOLUTION: Give him the car with very little gas. Just enough so that the car dies about 5 blocks from home if he drives it like a granny. With today's gas prices, he'll think twice about going fast :deal:

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
I dont have a child yet but my answer would be NO!!!!! I was a great kid...but very reckless and my parents had no clue until later on in life...How would they know? No speeding tickets, honor student, AP classes, played sports and they raised me to be polite so no complaints about me from other adults...but when I went out with my friends...that was a whole different story

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
UH...... N O

..rent the limo, let them have fun without needless worry. He'll still get more opportunities to impress whoever in the future...

·
Registered
230 Posts
other options are install a gps tracking system, which some companies allow you to even track vehicle speed, then unit would pay for itself if the car was ever stolen as well. depending on which cell phone company your son uses, you can activate a gps tracking on it. if you decide to go this route, he can only use the M5 to pick up his date, no one else, and you can track the car to where ever it goes, and speed. I you get one that tracks speed then I would tell your son to prevent any mishaps. i remember what it is like convincing my dad to let me borrow his, at that moment nothing else matters.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Absolutely not... it's a recipe for disaster. Even w/o drinking (and that's always a big risk at these sorts of events) kids are too prone to peer pressure, or otherwise making a bad decision behind the wheel due to inexperience-- on a variety of fronts.

Help him rent a nice limo for the night so he can enjoy the night w/ his girl and his pals w/o the added burden of driving any car let alone one that can get him in a lotta trouble in a big hurry.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I dont have a child yet but my answer would be NO!!!!! I was a great kid...but very reckless and my parents had no clue until later on in life...How would they know? No speeding tickets, honor student, AP classes, played sports and they raised me to be polite so no complaints about me from other adults...but when I went out with my friends...that was a whole different story
+5
Being 18 at the moment I know that this true, both of myself and of others. I also know that if other kids were allowed in the car they would be crapping their pants (sorry for the crude reference), especially if they know anything about cars. It was true when i got my M last November and the urge to show how amazing our vehicles are is overwhelming (I've succumbed to it on more than one occasion :shakemitkopf:). My advice, limo all the way; thats what my friends and I did for our senior prom at it was off the charts. In the end the choice is yours, we are just hoping to help.

Best of luck :cheers:

Chris

·
Registered
877 Posts
As a 26 year old who is slowly (but surely) reverting from the reckless days of his adolescence, I will respond to this question with a wholehearted: "NO WAY IN HELL." I was a good kid too, but its what kids do when their parents arent around (and with their best friends in their ear) that matters. No doubt there would be alot of pressure on him to show off a bit in a nice shiny beast... no doubt, if my dad had a m5 in high school and I took it to prom there would still be skid marks leading to a splat somewhere in Savannah. If your bent on being the cool dad (nothign wrong with that) get one of those GPS trackers like Hulk Hogan has for his kids on that show. I cant imagine how awesome it would be as a parent to sit and watch a computer monitor and find out where your kids are and at what speed they are traveling. Let us know what happens.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Your kid may be great, but it can also be someone else who T-bones him.

It's prom night, NOT car night!

Reactions: Mike S.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts