BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow M5 owners,

I have noticed that if I look under the car from behind, about 6 inches to the right of the left pair of exhaust pipes, and about 4-5 inches in from where the rear bumper ends, there's a little plastic hose sticking out downward. The hose is about 1/4" in diameter.

I have some paint damage on my rear bumper at exactly right behind that plastic hose. It seems like the hose is spitting out some liquid that the paint of the bumper does not like.

Does anyone notice the same problem? Is there an easy fix for this or should I take it in to the shop?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do not think the existence of that hose is an exception to my M5. It is very likely to exist on all M5's, as the hose's surrounding is in molded plastic, and looks like a factory-designed part. I would recommend you all to check for the same thing!

·
Registered
88 Posts
THATS THE OVERFLOW BREATHER FROM YOUR BATTERY. SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE OVERFILLED THE BATTERY AND WHEN IT IS CHARGING ITS SPILLING ELECTROLITE. (ACID)
I WOULD GET THAT CHECKED PRETTY DAMN QUICK.

Brian R

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Brian R:
THATS THE OVERFLOW BREATHER FROM YOUR BATTERY. SOUNDS LIKE SOMEONE OVERFILLED THE BATTERY AND WHEN IT IS CHARGING ITS SPILLING ELECTROLITE. (ACID)
I WOULD GET THAT CHECKED PRETTY DAMN QUICK.

Brian R
Thanks, Brian. The car is at the service center now. The body shop work to repair the paint will take some time, so I'll be stuck with a loaner for a while.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update:

the dealer said it is going to take a week (most of the time at the body shop) to do some work on the rear bumper. they said they took some photos and will send them to BMW NA.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
kuz,

OK, what were you really transporting in you trunk? We know it had to have been something more interesting than "battery acid"!

Mark

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark,

Yes, I was transporting some VERY interesting stuff in the back. The dealer replaced the battery, took the photos of the bottom part of the rear bumper, but said they had to wait for BMW to authorize (pay?) for the paintwork. So, I get my M5 back after only getting 1.2k service done. Seems like the overflow hose is no longer dripping.

-K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts