BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a decently handy guy. I do my own oil changes, suspension work, sparkplugs, brakes, even a head gasket and an engine before.

BMW's.... WTF?? Ok here goes.

2013 M5... 70k miles bought it a month ago. Drives nice, as it should.... then I started getting CEL, misfires, drivetrain malfunction error. Ok sounds bad, but how hard can this be? A little googling, some YouTube, and I decide to change the plugs and maybe coils.

With so many things you do on cars, they always start with 'disconnect the battery'... even if what you're doing has nothing to do with electrical. Usually I don't. This time... for some reason, I thought I'd be prudent and disconnect the battery.

...you see where I screwed up, don'tcha... I'm pretty sure it gets worse.

Changed the plugs. Seems to have gone as expected. Took my time, worked slow and I'm ready to fire it up and be rid of the misfires. NOPE! Gotcha! Now I need to register the battery. WTH?? It's the same exact battery that's been in it for... IDK, maybe original, whatever.

Anyway, I bought a scanner at Autozone, that didn't work. Returned it. Ordered one on Amazon... Autophix 7910. I wanted something fast, I could look for better later. The tool arrives. Plug it in, go to the Battery Registration section, hit the button and... nope. It doesn't work. Just says Communicating, Please Wait, then back to the previous screen. I try repeatedly, tried clearing codes. Battery dies. Locked in the trunk. With an electronic lock.

Maybe the battery is too low to be registered? Then died with all the trying? How do I charge it? How do I open the trunk?

Kinda really frustrated.

Clearly I have a lot to learn about BMTroubleYou engineering.

BTW... I'm in Tacoma, WA if anyone is nearby who can help.

·
2,071 Posts
Unless F cars are different you only register a battery when you change it. Disconnecting it does not count.

The trunk is also electric on the e6x m5 and there is a manual open handle and also a wire you can pull to open through the rear seat. There must be something on the f10 too.

You should charge the battery through the posts in the engine bay only. Never charge battery directly as you'll bypass the battery charge sensor.

Bet this is all in the car manual which should be available online. At least it is in the e6x case. I'd stay away from YouTube videos, just my personal opinion. Also moved this to the proper forum. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
+1 - stay away from YouTube videos, even for cooking videos.

+1 - Battery only needs to be registered once. Do you know what year it was - if OEM it should be written on the battery once you pull off the trunk liner.

If I was in your shoes, I will start with scanning the car with a reputed OBD scanner. Once you understand the codes you can determine next steps based on what you see.

Note that the F10 is a relatively complex platform, even if you do everything right the sequence of how you do things, if incorrect, can still throw an error.

Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm a decently handy guy. I do my own oil changes, suspension work, sparkplugs, brakes, even a head gasket and an engine before.

BMW's.... WTF?? Ok here goes.

2013 M5... 70k miles bought it a month ago. Drives nice, as it should.... then I started getting CEL, misfires, drivetrain malfunction error. Ok sounds bad, but how hard can this be? A little googling, some YouTube, and I decide to change the plugs and maybe coils.

With so many things you do on cars, they always start with 'disconnect the battery'... even if what you're doing has nothing to do with electrical. Usually I don't. This time... for some reason, I thought I'd be prudent and disconnect the battery.

...you see where I screwed up, don'tcha... I'm pretty sure it gets worse.

Changed the plugs. Seems to have gone as expected. Took my time, worked slow and I'm ready to fire it up and be rid of the misfires. NOPE! Gotcha! Now I need to register the battery. WTH?? It's the same exact battery that's been in it for... IDK, maybe original, whatever.

Anyway, I bought a scanner at Autozone, that didn't work. Returned it. Ordered one on Amazon... Autophix 7910. I wanted something fast, I could look for better later. The tool arrives. Plug it in, go to the Battery Registration section, hit the button and... nope. It doesn't work. Just says Communicating, Please Wait, then back to the previous screen. I try repeatedly, tried clearing codes. Battery dies. Locked in the trunk. With an electronic lock.

Maybe the battery is too low to be registered? Then died with all the trying? How do I charge it? How do I open the trunk?

Kinda really frustrated.

Clearly I have a lot to learn about BMTroubleYou engineering.

BTW... I'm in Tacoma, WA if anyone is nearby who can help.
Hey there I own the same and having same issue , how was the misfiring issue solved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
For what its worth, my car occasionally throw the Drivetrain malfunction error. Had to stop the engine - wait few min and start it back on - and I was good for another couple of months. It got to a point that switching to M mode was setting off the error code every time. BMW dealer finally admitted this is due to a known issue and related to the high-pressure fuel pump malfunctioning.

Turned out the F10 M5s have an extended warranty for high pressure fuel pumps and the injectures. They replaced both highpressure fuel pumps and injectors, car is as good as new.

Mine is 2014(LCI) Comp. Package - bought it new and have 80K miles on it today ...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Do you have any documentation for this extended warranty?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Cool thanks. Just got my F10 a few months ago. Wonder if I could get a letter like that, maybe I'll call the number listed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your BMW dealer should have the records. It is just a matter of taking it up there and find a friendly rep ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts