BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my car in for some tires at a major tire distributor who will remained unnamed for the time being. Dropped the car off at 2PM and was told the car would be ready by 4. Showed up at 530 and the tires were just being installed and the wheel alignment still not done (no problem, I had the day off anyhow). Came back around 6:30 and saw the wheel alignment just about done when I see the technician working on the car who was relatively young (early to mid twenties). I also see him opening the hood and drooling on the car which is when I started feeling uncomfortable. As he rolled the car off the lift I rolled around back to tell him that if he was planning on going on a test drive I would like to go with him. TOO LATE. By the time I swung around he went out an entranceway (wrong way) and onto a major highway spinning my newly fresh tires. At this point I was furious and swung back around towards the opposite end of the road (picture one road 2 roads with store fronts in the middle and a road going eastbound and westbound) when I see him coming back and the beast flying. He then sees me screaming at him at which point he slammed on the brakes. I approached him and asked him when he goes to the mechanic and gets something done, does he expect to get his car raped like that. I ripped the keys out of his hand to which point he STUTTERED AND SAID "he was just test driving the car."

I went inside screaming for a manager in front of customers at which point I lost all care. I see the little weasel go back to what I now know is the manager and explain his side of the story. I intercept and explained what happened and the poor manager was on the receiving end of the stick. Nice guy and he explained that "if he actually did " what I claimed he did, he would have heard it (mind you he is in an enclosed cinder block building with two major highways going east and west). I then become more irate and he realized he was getting nowhere. I then explained to him the situation again and he said he had apologized for the kid to which I responded you should not be apologizing, he should. I then see the kid taking another car out (this time gingerly) and I screamed at the manager who was dumbdfounded. Why would you let an employee accused of such a thing to take another customers car out. Anyhow, I got back to the car and come to find out the car is sitting in neutral in the parking lot without the parking brake (and he was just "test driving" the car but his little nervous ***** knew he got his hand caught in the cookie drawer and panicked).

I went home and looked the car over and everything seemed to be fine but when I look up the reviews for this company,, THEY ARE HORRIFIC (shame on me for not being more diligent).

My questions are simple and as follows:

1) What should I do? I am thinking I am going to call their Corporate office and explain to them the situation. I am also going to tell them I plan on taking the car to BMW and having them look through the car AT THEIR EXPENSE. If there is no harm done, no foul and I will let it go.

2) Thoughts?

Thank you inadvance

·
Registered
769 Posts
This is not uncommon, I'm afraid...
I don't know the details regarding your options in the US, but here you'd have a struggle to get anywhere.

1. If it's a ****ty company or a ****ty franchiser, I doubt you'll get anywhere by doing that.

2. A friend of mine had the same thing happening to him. He was laughed at and the response was literally like this: "M5- and RS6 owners are rich people, who don't know anything about their cars, and thinks they'll break if anyone else than themselves drive them hard! They are made for driving them like this, you know. Come on! LOL!" His fuse burnt rather quickly, I can tell you. ...In his shoes, I'd probably have punched the idiot. So I'm glad I wasn't... grrrrrrr

Edit: even if you have an itch to do something, it's probably just a waste of time. So my grown-up advice, is to let it be and never ever go back. And help others by writing a justified bottom-catch review. That'll make you feel better :)

Reactions: Kazakh015

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow - two responses, two "let it go" responses. Maybe I should rethink and these responses essentially tell me I am being an emotional fragile M owner...... Sometimes you need someone to poke you.... I will wait an hour or so before making my final decision... Thanks though for the prompt response. Thanks

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I think calling corporate to complain is fine, but if you're expecting a free hour of labor, I highly doubt that is going to happen.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
When I take my car to get tires, I do not let my car get out of my sight. I'm also very specific and tell them that if the car needs any test driving, that I'm doing the test driving. But one time I got new tires and took the wheels off at home to get the tires installed. Some of the people working at these places don't even know how to drive a SMG.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Let it go as other members of the board indicated. Life is short and you will give yourself health problems worrying about something that is not going to go anywhere. Enjoy your car while you have it. Some members have it worse (search for member that took his car in for service and had his car totaled)

I had similar thing with a young tech at exhaust shop to install my e-race. The young tech peeled out of parking lot not knowing was i was there watching and when i confronted him later, he claimed he was just testing for exhaust leaks. :mad:

I went to my car and the fool had it still on P400 :biggrin: he did not even unleash the full power or did not know how much power he was toying with. Don't go back to the shop and make sure you post a review for them.

·
Registered
759 Posts
OK. So there's no excuse for this kind of incident, no matter who works on your car. But we all know some folks just can't resist taking a high performance car for a joy ride. The internet if filled with stories of wrecked Ferraris, Corvettes, etc. during joyrides at some shop. Who knows why you went to this tire store over another. Save $$$ maybe. But I'll bet you would gladly pay the difference in $$$ now to avoid the anxiety you experienced over this incident. Both with my 545i and M6, I continue to let the "stealer" install my new tires. Yes, its a few $$$ more, but the peace of mind is worth it. Just like I won't let "jiffy" lube change my oil, I won't let "discount" tire change my tires. They're fine for "hondas" or "toyotas", but not BMW in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i echo the other comments. let it go and take it as a learning experience. dont let your car out of your site. from now on...never EVER allow anyone to test drive your car for any reason without you present. put that on the invoice if you have to drop a car off overnight or something. if you continue to pursue it...this is just going to continue to eat at you and keep you upset. drop it, learn from it and replace it with positive energy.

but yes, we understand that youre furious!

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,411 Posts
When I take my car to get tires, I do not let my car get out of my sight. I'm also very specific and tell them that if the car needs any test driving, that I'm doing the test driving. But one time I got new tires and took the wheels off at home to get the tires installed. Some of the people working at these places don't even know how to drive a SMG.
^This for any place "other" than my preferred shops -- including the dealer!

Thank goodness, Trinity Autosport is local to me :haha: and now has the ability to mount tires. For alignments, thank goodness for Indy OMS!

With that said, over the years and years, my local Discount Tire knows all my cars and are very good about letting me "supervise" the installation. They won't even put my car up on the rack, because they are cautious of my spoiler and rocker panels.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
obviously it's too late to say this because it's already done, but that's why I only take my car to places I trust. It's much easier to give someone advise than taking advise. i'd say to leave it alone and just never go back.

**I think i'm growing up** in my younger days, i'd be arrested for retaliation in a heartbeat.

Dan

Reactions: bmwm3nyc

·
Registered
272 Posts
I would have expected a deep discount on the tires/labor performed but there really wasn't any other damage done. I would't waste my time with an inspection of any kind, isn't that how you drive it anyway :M5launch: :hihihi:?

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
It happens and you learn from it, mine was raped by a tech at Stevens Creek dealership. Went in for a TCU fix only to hear my car screaming around the back parking lot to the front drop off point. I reported it to the SA and that's all I could do at that point. Fortunately no damage to the car but just the nerve of some people is what upsets you the most.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wouldn't let it go so easy... If those were new tires and he smoked them I would be very upset. I would at least tell them to rebalance the tires. Once tires are freshly installed and spun/abused they can "slip" on the rims and your balancing will be off. I would ask for a discount or some compensation.

Regards,
Realspartan

·
Registered
125 Posts
Twitter is a useful way to get the corporate attention...

Harsh acceleration and braking on freshly installed tires may mean they have rotated on the rims - might be worth getting the balance checked?

·
Registered
402 Posts
I am an *** hole. Especially with my car. If it were me in your situation, I would stop at nothing less than his job. I mean I kicked a beautiful girl out of my car on the side of the interstate for putting her feet on the dash.

Get on all the independent review website and put your story out there. If its happened to you and you caught it... how many others has it happened to and they didn't know?

·
Registered
884 Posts
I take off my wheels and bring them to the tire shop, if they would like to take them for a spin they are welcome to. This way I also know that they are torqued correctly when reinstalled.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ha! You got off easy. I took my M5 in to fix a scratch on the rear bumper cover (I backed up in to a pole I didn't see, and the proximity alert didn't go off), so I dropped the car off the car to one of those touch-up repair places.

The next day I got a call from the owner saying his lot boy was moving my car and backed up in to a wall, he apologized and said his insurance will take care of everything.

I went to see the car at the body shop of my choice (Raintree Auto Body), a place known for high-end body work, the kind of place you take your Lambo.

After seeing the damage it was quite obvious his lot boy did more than back in to a wall. Looks more like he was hot-rodding around the parking lot and went sideways and hit something hard. There was damage to the rear bumper, quarter panel, the rear wheel was bent, and the rear sub-frame was cracked.

It's been about two weeks and the body shop is up to $12k in damage so far. Their insurance covered a rental SUV for me but it's not my M5. Anyway I didn't get too upset because it didn't cost me anything and I learned to detach myself from material things a long time ago..

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Ha! You got off easy. I took my M5 in to fix a scratch on the rear bumper cover (I backed up in to a pole I didn't see, and the proximity alert didn't go off), so I dropped the car off the car to one of those touch-up repair places.

The next day I got a call from the owner saying his lot boy was moving my car and backed up in to a wall, he apologized and said his insurance will take care of everything.

I went to see the car at the body shop of my choice (Raintree Auto Body), a place known for high-end body work, the kind of place you take your Lambo.

After seeing the damage it was quite obvious his lot boy did more than back in to a wall. Looks more like he was hot-rodding around the parking lot and went sideways and hit something hard. There was damage to the rear bumper, quarter panel, the rear wheel was bent, and the rear sub-frame was cracked.

It's been about two weeks and the body shop is up to $12k in damage so far. Their insurance covered a rental SUV for me but it's not my M5. Anyway I didn't get too upset because it didn't cost me anything and I learned to detach myself from material things a long time ago..

I think you have a great attitude but it wouldn't be me. I wish I could be like that. You bust your *** to Aquire nice things in your life and some Jackass kid who couldn't afford to put gas in it puts you through all this nonsense because he's an idiot.

Pulled up to a restaurant the other night and I tell the valet (19 year old kid) very politely 'it's OK, I'll park it myself' and he goes 'well then you can't park in this lot' I said 'really! Wow...I'm sure the owner would love to hear that' I pulled away and parked it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
620 Posts

+1, it's just a car and there are real problems in this world to get heartburn over.

That said, while I don't think you should be angry, the kid should learn a lesson and the manager should learn how to manage... I'd post about it on Twitter and such as well as go to the companies website and look for any email you can find. Send each one an email individually to every email address you find telling your story and how you will never do business with them again and that you'll tell everyone you know to do the same. I wouldn't demand anything, but I would bring up how you were shocked at the managers response but that only highlights his inability to control those that work for him. Just try to keep your blood pressure down while "crafting" the email.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts