BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Enthusiast,

Help me understand the British E34 M5 market, I currently trying to sell my 1995 M5, special red on red (possibly the only car produced with this combination), car has a full history, flawless interior and very nice exterior.
very tight solid running car, the best bid on ebay was 6000 pounds (no thanks.) Guess the left hand drive is the biggest problem? To add insult to
injury I watched a 1995 (RHD) with a badly damaged body sell for 6078 pounds. Is it safe to say the UK market is completely dead for the E34 M5?
Guess the wide availability of E39 M5 plus the pending release of the E60 M5
is taking its toll on the used M5 market? I really didn't want to go through the headache process of converting this car to US spec, but rather than lose
thousands on a low sale price I'll spend the extra money required for the DOT/EPA conversion. One last question, what is the price difference between a 1995 RHD E34 M5 and a left hand driver version?

M5

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi Garcia,

I think there are two main factors here. I saw your car on ebay - it looked amazing - BUT I would have been deterred by LHD. Why? Because the only LHD cars that do well in the UK are those that are only available in LHD, such as B10 Bi-Turbos, M5 Tourings, E30 M3's , Integrales. I guess you'll be looking at a 20-25% 'hit' c/w RHD just for that, and your market is smaller.

The second factor (IMO) is colour. Unusual colour specs often deter buyers - and yes I know red is a common enough colour, but NOT for M5's. There was a Dakar Yellow M5 for sale over here for months, and I'd guess it went for much less than an equivalent Fjord Grey or Avus Blue car. So whilst the colour is good, your market is smaller again because the M5 appeals partly because of its stealth.

'Federalisation' is expensive I believe - but these cars command a big premium in the US. Is this worth considering?

Is the car currently in the UK (sorry I can't remember what the Ad said)?

I don't think the market's dead for E34's. This time of year is often not great as Christmas approaches, but as you say someone bought a bent car for 6078GBP. That gives you some idea...

Cheers

Kurt

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kurt,

Thanks for the insight into this particular market as every bit of information can give me a better understanding of what type of market I'm dealing with. I've always heard left hand drive cars are particularly tough to sell in this market. As for the location of the car, it's here in England near Cambridge.
Guess it's time to prepare the car for the US conversion, again thanks for the valuable insight.

Garcia

·
Registered
17 Posts
Garcia said:
Kurt,

Thanks for the insight into this particular market as every bit of information can give me a better understanding of what type of market I'm dealing with. I've always heard left hand drive cars are particularly tough to sell in this market. As for the location of the car, it's here in England near Cambridge.
Guess it's time to prepare the car for the US conversion, again thanks for the valuable insight.

Garcia
I have just bought a 100K miles 3.8 M5 RHD for £6500......FSH and lovely............I could have bought a 2 owner 50K mile 6 speed car in Avus blue last month for £9K.......in my eyes a LHD car in the UK is worth at least 30-40% less...............I also think this is the very worst time of year to be selling a car.sorry for the depressing news.

·
Registered
868 Posts
TRACKMEISTER said:
I have just bought a 100K miles 3.8 M5 RHD for £6500......FSH and lovely............I could have bought a 2 owner 50K mile 6 speed car in Avus blue last month for £9K.......in my eyes a LHD car in the UK is worth at least 30-40% less...............I also think this is the very worst time of year to be selling a car.sorry for the depressing news.
It could be worse, you could be trying to sell a house. January is going to be an intresting month here as everyone has XMAS bills to contend with and increasing intrest / mortgage rates.

With these sorts of cars, selling them is a waiting game. However you will find a buyer if you can wait long enough. Def look at sending it to the US though.

Best

M5 Powered

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
M5 powered said:
It could be worse, you could be trying to sell a house. January is going to be an intresting month here as everyone has XMAS bills to contend with and increasing intrest / mortgage rates.

With these sorts of cars, selling them is a waiting game. However you will find a buyer if you can wait long enough. Def look at sending it to the US though.

Best

M5 Powered

Everyone,

All points are well taken, I don't have the option of waiting for the right buyer, I'll just have to press on with preparation for the DOT/EPA conversion.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Make sure you do your research first as "gray market" cars here in the US are typically very hard to sell (and resale -- hence the problem owning one). If two cars existed, both identical in mileage and condition, the gray market federalized car would sell for 20-25% under the price of the regular one and take much more time to sell unless it is a car that is not otherwise available. Granted a '95 M5 was not marketed in this country (stopped E34 M5's in 1993), but that is of little consolation.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Hi Garcia,

I also saw your car on ebay, and must say it did look very nice, but as everyone else has mentioned the fact that its LHD devalues it a lot over here.
I was watching the damaged 1995 M5 that you mentioned, and I would have to disagree that it was badly damaged - it was a very easy repair and could be done well for under £1000. That said, I was still surprised that it fetched that much, I was expecting around £4k-£5k, at which price I would have had a bid as it was local to me.

Cheers,
Bryn.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Garcia said:
Fellow Enthusiast,

Help me understand the British E34 M5 market, I currently trying to sell my 1995 M5, special red on red (possibly the only car produced with this combination), car has a full history, flawless interior and very nice exterior.
very tight solid running car, the best bid on ebay was 6000 pounds (no thanks.) Guess the left hand drive is the biggest problem? To add insult to
injury I watched a 1995 (RHD) with a badly damaged body sell for 6078 pounds. Is it safe to say the UK market is completely dead for the E34 M5?
Guess the wide availability of E39 M5 plus the pending release of the E60 M5
is taking its toll on the used M5 market? I really didn't want to go through the headache process of converting this car to US spec, but rather than lose
thousands on a low sale price I'll spend the extra money required for the DOT/EPA conversion. One last question, what is the price difference between a 1995 RHD E34 M5 and a left hand driver version?

M5
Hi!!
Nice car!!!
Just wondering... Is it necessary to rebuild the exhaust/cats for the EPA? I`we heard that this is the case for the car to pass, but I believe that there was a board member that had a euro-spec 3,8 that passed the EPA/DOT with standard cats.....
In this case, it wouldn`t cost that much , or?
If you are indeed taking the car with you, it could be an idea to collect some parts in Britain for the conversion (i.e MPH tach-not the same in 3,6 cars?)

Just a couple of thoughts...
:cheers:
Sakke

·
Registered
17 Posts
THE EBAY CAR.....................I was the man who bid just over £6K for that car.........as mentioned earlier it had light cosmentic panel damage and needed a new wing etc........I am in the motor trade and could have repaired the car for £500 tops...............HOWEVER..............the vendor told me the car MIGHT be listed as cat D damaged on HPI.................when I HPI 'd the car it turned out it had been previously damaged in 2001 and was already registered as a Cat C extensivly damaged car..thus it was on its second insurance claim this time around.......so I pulled out of the deal as the car wasnt as described.

Had the car not has the previos damage I thought at around 6700 it was a reasonable buy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everyone,

I have given up on the idea of selling the car for right now, my plans are to go through with the conversion and used the car as a secondary (sunny day only car,) or possibly stuff it in the corner of the garage for a later day. As for repairing a car with panel damage, IMO there's really only one way to repair an M5 correctly (replace the panel and repaint the car, and believe me it will cost more 1000.) I really find hard to believe someone can correctly repair that car for less than 1000 pounds (maybe with a hammer, dolly and some bondo.)

Garcia

·
Registered
236 Posts
Trackmeister did say he was a mechanic so I guess he will do it himself and so save himself the labour cost. He will also get the parts trade. Surely GBP 500 is not that unbelievable?

Pip

1 - 12 of 12 Posts