BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi sportsfans!

Changed the lambda sensor last week, as it had been in the car for about 50K miles, straightforward job with a new Bosch LS2 sensor (I'll post up some pics later).

I was hopeful it would raise my MPG above the 19MPG average I'm getting (town and motorway) but it hasn't, and yes we reset the DME afterwards.

Ah well, points to the MAF failing, so I'll sort that another time.

We also went to replace the steering idler bush (pitman arm) only to realise we had only bought one bush and there were two to replace (!!) so I'll have to order another one of those today as well.

In the interim however, as part of the car's "spring clean", this weekend we intend to clean the idle control valve and the crank position sensor. Whilst we're at it I think we'll replace the front timing chain gasket as well to make a start on the multitude of small oil leaks & weeps :hihi:

A few queries - from my reading on here, the idle control valve and crank position sensor appear straightforward - we'll also check out the throttle bodies whilst we're in there for other things like slack in the accellerator cable meaning I'm not getting WOT, etc. and generally give everything a good clean up.

Question 1: when cold starting, the car never settles into a cold idle of more than about 750-800rpm .... I'm used to cars idling at more like 2000rpm when cold .... do I have a problem, or do they just not need a high idle when cold? It's not like the car exhibits any problems from this, I just find it strange .... and 30,000 miles into ownership I'm finally getting around to asking about it ;)

Question 2: I realise the front timing gasket is a reasonably big job (weather is to be nice and we've got all day to do it), but are there any special tools I should be looking at, or anything obvious that might trip me up?

Question 3: My steering wheel push/pull (reach) adjustment is siezed at the shortest setting - it has been like this since I bought the car, but it really upsets my driving position - I like the steering wheel to be close to my chest - any ideas on how to fix it, or how hard a job it might be? Current plan is just to dis-assemble the steering column and see what's in there(!)

I'm about to get on the phone to my local dealer for parts, so anything else I should be replacing whilst we're in doing this would be great and I'll order it up for Saturday morning.

Thanks in advance - sorry to look for the free advice, but I'm a long way North so we have to look after ourselves up here .... :cheers:

On a positive note, 158K miles in Kurt's old car is still going well and we're keeping on top of all the mechanical jobs that need done.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hopefully now replacing ALL plenum vacuum hoses as well - it's gonna be a big bill with the dealer :7:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Parts ordered:
Under section Idle Regulating Valve
05 HOSE 13411317939 $12.28 (needs to come from Germany, so next week)
03 RUBBER BOOT 13411318496 $9.26 (needs to come from Germany, so next week)

Big rubber intake hose
11611317495 rubber boot

Vacuum hoses
11 VENT HOSE 1 11151317504 $20.31 (needs to come from Germany, so next week)
13 HOSE 1 11611312670 $30.69
20 VACUUM HOSE 1 13531315003 $14.06

Timing chain gaskets
05 GASKET LEFT ASBESTO-FREE 1 11141312619 $9.15
06 GASKET RIGHT ASBESTO-FREE 1 11141312618 $5.25
Front driveshaft seal
<table border="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td id="r10">04</td><td id="r11">SHAFT SEAL</td><td id="r10" class="p1">48X65X10</td><td id="r11">1</td><td id="r10">
</td><td id="r11">
</td><td id="r10" nowrap="nowrap">11141275466</td></tr></tbody></table>

Another Idler arm bush, Nut and bolt
15 RUBBER MOUNTING D=27MM 1 32211136452 $19.53
16 HEX BOLT M10X75 1 07119912677 $0.89
17 HEX NUT WITH PLATE M10 1 32101133077 $1.56

… and a gallon of brake cleaner ;-)

All came to under £50 from the dealer! We'll get cracking with all the bits that arrive on Saturday.

I'll also print off all the revelant RealOEM diagrams so we can chalk off what we've replaced and also easily identify any of the other bits that come to light as we're working.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crank sensor - cleaned!
Cam sensor - cleaned!
Idle Control valve - cleaned!
Throttle bodies - cleaned!
Random bits - scrubbed!
Vacuum hoses - replaced! (well, most of 'em)

Car still in bits - check!
Abandoned attempt at changing Timing Cover gaskets after realising we needed to take crank pulleys, etc. off - check!
Car still in bits - check!
Mate still working on it whilst I abandoned it to go drinking - check! :hihi:

The joy of M .... some pics tomorrow, but nice to take everything apart and see how it works ;)
Stephen

·
Registered
707 Posts
Hey up Stephen!

Sorry I can't offer any words of wisdom on the jobs you're doing, but thought I'd reply to your thread since no-one else did!!!

Keep us posted won't you!!??

R

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL I always do Rob, if only for my own amusement - I know how useful the search is to me, so I post it up anyway in case anyone else finds it interesting in the future ;)

Now, the sun is out, I'm off to the beach bar to show the girlies my oily hands, they LOVE it :cheers:

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Yes ....good thread Stephen .....well done Rob .....

It's difficult to give you any advice on parts to replace Stephen , as you seem to be taking an extremely exemplary proactive approach to maintaining your car !

Thanks for sharing .......I'll let you keep the girls for yourself ......

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Magnificent, loads of hoses I haven't ordered have disintegrated, we have to superglue the vac controller back together, fab up various hoses by stealing bits from my Hondas, it's just started absolutely pouring and I've ran the battery down because we've had the stereo on all weekend, so I can't shut the sunroof or the windows and just had to stick an umbrella in the sunroof to try and keep some of the rain out!

The joys, the joys :hihi:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts