BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not sure the sentiment here on the board for these types of posts but I didnt see them particularly noted in the sticky section as frowned upon.

But I found the first car thats in a color scheme i was interested in and wanted some opinions. Doesnt this prices seem low (mind you i have seen the same car listed for 3 different prices at same dealer for 22, 18 and 17)? Anyone seen this car or have any thoughts other than the obvious non stock wheels. I noticed the gap on left side of hood, does that look odd to folks? Havent seen that on other cars or is that just the angle?

Vehicle Details

and another in ohio...anyone seen this car (currently preferred color combo) but never seen red in person and know of pitfalls with that color

2003 BMW M5, Barberton, OH, Sedan, Fred Martin Superstore Stock: 1S11055A | Akron, Kent, Tallmadge, & Canton Area

Im looking for thoughts on both in terms of price and other worldly advice you experts can provide. I am concerned about the carbon black one as I know the dealership and types of cars they get there but carfax is clean and has a ton of sevice records on carfax, not sure if thats good or bad.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Difficult to draw any useful conclusions from just photos, but the state of the drivers door seal on the Carbon Black car would make me wonder how much care has been given to the rest of the car.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Maybe ask some board members to go look at the cars?

Both have wheels that are not an M5 fitment so ask how they're mounted. Custom bored out, some sort of hub centric adapter etc.

EDIT: Make sure you get a PPI done regardless!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Couple of thoughts:
1-Be patient. To be honest, both of those dealers look a bit shady and I'd guess neither car has maintenance records, which would be a deal killer for me.
2-The first one looks like the rougher of the two to RichardP's point, but you (or someone you trust) would need to see it in person to be sure.
3-Once you find one that passes your review (straight body panels, no leaks, good test drive, no accidents, etc.) get a PPI at a dealer or good indy (not at the shop that is selling the car). With that info, you can make an educated decision about the car including how much money you'll have to spend to get it properly sorted.
4-Drive more than one before you buy. This will give you a basis of comparison for noises, performance, etc. For example, I looked at one I had no intention of buying just to get a lower control limit.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Two pieces of indispensable advice:

1. Have a PPI done by a reputable Indy or, in the absence of a reputable Indy, a BMW dealer; and

2. Ask a knowledgeable boardmember to be present at the PPI and/or to drive and inspect the car. In my experience, enthusiasts on this board know even more about the quirks and weak points of the E39 M5 than Indys or dealers.

--Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts