BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving my new M6 for a week and absolutely love the car. But there are some things that feel "cheap", this must be based on car design that is aimed for ease of manufacture but doesn;t belong in a $100K+ German car. Don't get me wrong, for every negative point there are ten positives but there are some design changes that did not improve the feel of the BMW M exsperience (I think previous M5, M3 owners may agree):
1) Front quarter panels (fenders) are not metal but fiber glass? What's up with that? (easier to repair, weight distribution?). Feels cheap.
2) Steering wheel paddles, out of plastic, should be brushed aluminum at least?
3) Double gaskets on doors no longer present (easier to manufacture, cheaper, but not as good of a seal...)
4) Steering wheel center piece is not out of leather!! WTF? The whole car has leather interior and they put a cheap palstic steering wheel cover on there?
5) Trunk, feels like cheap metal. Note "cadillac style hinges" that take up alot of trunk space instead of more complex/expensive and hinges on the top of the rear quarter panel that are outside the trunk. The hood also feels a bit flimsy. It's all about reducing weight I guess but this feels llike carton paper (exaggerating)
6) Windshield wipers: the assembly doesn't feel solid. The recess is not good so you can see the wipers while driving. Previously these were completely hidden behind/below the hood.
7) No side impact strips. Due to Bangle design everybody is automatically assured a ding if another door hits you
8) Hood feels very flimsy as well.
It is things like these that set German cars apart from the competition, I guess nobody can escape cost conscious engineering.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Its a performance car not a luxury barge, so every panel that feels lightweight is a good thing.

I like the trunk hinges personally, prefer the curved pipes to the usual scissor hinge/hydraulic ram type look.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Lift the windscreen wipers off the screen then see how flimsy they look! ouich

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
The bulk of the engineering is unquestionably performance-oriented, and thus felt more by the seat of one's pants and not seen by the naked eye (ie: the engine, transmission, and suspension).

To make it both lighter and less "flimsy", unfortunately, they would need to resort to more extensive use of carbon fiber in place of plastic and aluminum, ala Carrera GT, and we know how expensive that was.

We should also keep in mind that budgets being what they are, everything is engineered to a cost and to its target market. This is also a relatively new design (the 6er) and engineering changes will undoubtedly yield improvements in the future.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Wayward said:
The bulk of the engineering is unquestionably performance-oriented, and thus felt more by the seat of one's pants and not seen by the naked eye (ie: the engine, transmission, and suspension).

To make it both lighter and less "flimsy", unfortunately, they would need to resort to more extensive use of carbon fiber in place of plastic and aluminum, ala Carrera GT, and we know how expensive that was.

We should also keep in mind that budgets being what they are, everything is engineered to a cost and to its target market. This is also a relatively new design (the 6er) and engineering changes will undoubtedly yield improvements in the future.
I totally agree. Overall I love the design and components and must respectfully disagree on the flimsy remark. For the price, the car is worth it :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
DoctaM3 said:
For the price, the car is worth it :thumbsup:
I agree.

I do wish it was priced closer to the M5 though. I suppose that all those that agree that it's worth it are voting with their wallets :).

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I guess while we're on the subject, the one thing that bothers me
is the little leather piece on the center shifter that hides the
shifting shaft. There's probably a name for it but it escapes me
right now. For some reason it keeps coming loose from its base.
I constantly have to pop it back in. This looks and feels really cheap.
Oh well.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
///Marshall said:
I guess while we're on the subject, the one thing that bothers me
is the little leather piece on the center shifter that hides the
shifting shaft. There's probably a name for it but it escapes me
right now. For some reason it keeps coming loose from its base.
I constantly have to pop it back in. This looks and feels really cheap.
Oh well.
You could have one of the aftermarket leather guys do that in either higher quality leather or alcantara.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
kwaobus said:
8) Hood feels very flimsy as well.
I parked my E39 next to an E60 recently and it was amazing how light the new hoods are compared to the heavy piece on my car. It almost felt like foil by comparison.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ashok Arora said:
Lift the windscreen wipers off the screen then see how flimsy they look! ouich
Those are made that way so they didn't whissle or rattle on the screen at highspeeds. It's either that or pot spoilers on the wiper arms to hold them down. It's you pick... ;)

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
kwaobus said:
4) Steering wheel center piece is not out of leather!! WTF? The whole car has leather interior and they put a cheap palstic steering wheel cover on there?
I agree that it would've been nice to have a leather center cover with ///M stitching in place of the plastic one. ///M logo pedals would also be nice. The Hartge CF wheel and aluminum pedals are valid alternatives though.

·
Registered
72 Posts
"1) Front quarter panels (fenders) are not metal but fiber glass? What's up with that? (easier to repair, weight distribution?). Feels cheap."

Can you really feel the difference?

"5) Trunk, feels like cheap metal."

It's plastic actually.

"The hood also feels a bit flimsy. It's all about reducing weight I guess but this feels llike carton paper (exaggerating)"

Lightness is a good thing. The car is way too heavy still, but every light component regardless of the feel is a good thing.

"7) No side impact strips. Due to Bangle design everybody is automatically assured a ding if another door hits you"

Might improve the looks actually!

"8) Hood feels very flimsy as well."

You mentioned that already.

"It is things like these that set German cars apart from the competition, I guess nobody can escape cost conscious engineering."

Some of the "cost cutting" that you see is actually rather expensive weight saving.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Allmost all of the things you mentioned have a reason, it's just what the engineers decided was best.

1) Those plastic panels are "selfhealing" at low speeds which means if you bump into something you'll have minimal damage also it's weight saving. Think those are two pros over the metal panels.

2) Agree

3) Agree, but I read somewhere that the single gasket thing also had some reason don't remeber the exact reason though.

4) Airbag

5) No opinion

6) Those are made that way so they don't whissle or rattle at highspeeds.

7) Don't like the strips (on any car) to begin with but I agree that they do provide added protection.

8) It's made from some exotic material which is weight saving.

But I think your biggest complaint is the fact that the materials used in the car aren't the materials you are used to in other cars. The materials used in the M6 might feel cheap to you but they're harder to produce and have added advantages the biggest being weight saving.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the good feedback, I see many of your points are valid and I am changing my mind on several points (hood, quarter panels, and trunk) :thumbsup: .... still think the shift paddels should be aluminum and the steering whell cover leather as it used to be in the previous M3 and M5. :blabla:

·
Registered
607 Posts
I don't have my M6 yet but I have been driving a 645 for almost 2 years. I'm generally happy with the quality but there are two things that bug me on the interior. My 645 is a 2004 and I'm assuming that aside from the 1,200 different parts (that Wayward was so kind to point out http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75383 ) that the difference between my car and the M6 is fairly similar on the interior.

My first gripe (and this is very minor) is I don't like the way the center panel on the dash (the vertical surface around the HVAC controls and radio - just under the idrive) butts into the side panel. This panel really needs to slip into a small groove instead of abutting. As it is, it leaves a small gap that, well, looks cheap.

Second, I'm a very tactile person (OK, I'm touchy feely) and I can't help touching all the surfaces. When you're sitting in the car, run your fingers along the underside of either bottom edge of the center console. Be careful! you could cut yourself. Man, it's really rough and sharp. That's something I'd expect to find in a rental car. BMW needs to take the finish surface on the top and side and make the turn. On my new 750Li (AWESOME car by the way), the center console surface does make the turn and butts firmly into the carpeted drive shaft tunnel. Much better solution.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
The amazing thing is that despite all of the weight-saving measures, it still weighs in at 3900 lbs.

Somewhat OT, but I just read a blurb stating that Porsche engineers have deemed that the flat-six engine can't (won't) reasonably be pushed beyond 4.0L, so they're looking at more extreme weight reducing measures for the next gen (998 series) 911s. In light of omnipresent fuel economy issues and recent economies with regard to modern materials, we'll no doubt be seeing much more lightness being added from all mfgs, some more exotic than others.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts