BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled across a couple of really nice tools today for changing pads in your BBK or Porsche.

One is a pad puller that has two prongs that stick into the holes in the pad backing plate. The handle is like a small slide hammer and you just yank the pad right out of the caliper with it.

The other is a pad spreader and piston retractor.

I'm going to try these out and report back on their effectiveness. I might even start carrying them. Stay tuned!

·
10,458 Posts
very nice, keep us posted!

by the way dave, my oe M5 wheels can fit over the stoptech 2 piston rear brakes, with the stoptech 355 mm rotor.(i just tried one on for the heck of it, i have dinan wheels for normal use, which have plenty of clearance). You'd need a feeler gauge to measure the clearance, and if there is a wheel weight there, it'd hit the caliper. I love the feel of the brakes too, i was pleasantly surprised...
mike

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mottati said:
by the way dave, my oe M5 wheels can fit over the stoptech 2 piston rear brakes, with the stoptech 355 mm rotor.(i just tried one on for the heck of it, i have dinan wheels for normal use, which have plenty of clearance). You'd need a feeler gauge to measure the clearance, and if there is a wheel weight there, it'd hit the caliper. I love the feel of the brakes too, i was pleasantly surprised...
mike
Did you stick a front wheel or a back wheel on there? The reason I ask is that the Style 37 front wheels on my car have MORE caliper clearance than the Style 37 rear wheels, even though the latter are 1" wider. If the factory M5 wheel clears the ST22 BBK with 355mm rotors, we need to reconsider this new 345x28mm rotor.

I agree about the pedal feel. I'm loving the brakes on my car for the first time. It's great to finally have an E39 with decent pedal feel.

·
10,458 Posts
DZeckhausen said:
Did you stick a front wheel or a back wheel on there? The reason I ask is that the Style 37 front wheels on my car have MORE caliper clearance than the Style 37 rear wheels, even though the latter are 1" wider. If the factory M5 wheel clears the ST22 BBK with 355mm rotors, we need to reconsider this new 345x28mm rotor.

I agree about the pedal feel. I'm loving the brakes on my car for the first time. It's great to finally have an E39 with decent pedal feel.
Hmm, i put my spare on, which is a front wheel. I'll try a rear wheel this weekend and let you know. (so at least my spare is still good!)
Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts