BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions:
1) Is the Tire pressure system an active one (showig pressure of all tires at any time) or a passive one as in the E39 M5?
2) Is there an option for active seats or ventilated seats?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Rezf said:
I have a couple of questions:
1) Is the Tire pressure system an active one (showig pressure of all tires at any time) or a passive one as in the E39 M5?
2) Is there an option for active seats or ventilated seats?
No.2 is discussed extensively in one of the very recent threads. Have a read there:-
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45480

About no.1. The M6 press release reads "Providing both visual and acoustic signal, the Tire Pressure Indicator warns the driver of a sudden or gradual drop in the pressure in one of the tires".

So I suppose it is an active monitoring system.

·
Registered
86 Posts
my guess is that it is in INDIRECT tire pressure monitoring system as to my understanding, a DIRECT system would require a sensor inside the tire replacing the valve stem.

Use of the M-Mobility tire repair system would then render the sensor useless and require expensive replacement.

Government legislation of DIRECT monitoring systems does not come into effect for a few years I believe. It will be interesting to see how manufacturers come up with DIRECT systems that won't be a pain for customers.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
adelaide said:
my guess is that it is in INDIRECT tire pressure monitoring system as to my understanding, a DIRECT system would require a sensor inside the tire replacing the valve stem.

Use of the M-Mobility tire repair system would then render the sensor useless and require expensive replacement.

Government legislation of DIRECT monitoring systems does not come into effect for a few years I believe. It will be interesting to see how manufacturers come up with DIRECT systems that won't be a pain for customers.
That is not correct. The SL 55 has a direct tire monitoring system along with a tire repair kit instead of a spare tire, a la M-mobility kit.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
M6 Forever said:
No.2 is discussed extensively in one of the very recent threads. Have a read there:-
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=45480

About no.1. The M6 press release reads "Providing both visual and acoustic signal, the Tire Pressure Indicator warns the driver of a sudden or gradual drop in the pressure in one of the tires".

So I suppose it is an active monitoring system.
From your quote, it sounds like it is an indirect system. The system only signals (audio and visual) when pressure drops

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
If you're reading literally the key thing is "one" of the tires- the indirect system goes by relative rolling radius- if they all change at the same time the system cannot signal a fault. FYI on my 02 7 there was an active/direct TPM system- it really gave fairly accurate tire pressure of each tire. The system used a different valve stem on the wheels. Thats what to look for when you see a car at a show. If it looks thicker and perhaps like an octagon from the outside then thats the system from the 7. The 05 7 I have does not have this system though......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts