BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I apologize in advance for there being so many different topics in one thread, but I feel bad posting a bunch of different threads. I have hit used the search function quite a bit before posting this.

First off;

Exhaust smoke. I have looked around at lots of threads and found that valve stem seals can leak oil especially on a car that has sat for a while, which mine has, and also found threads about oil rings and the such (and of course the thousands of 'what oil is best' threads). So heres whats going on:

In my commute, I coast down this pretty long hill in 6th after getting off the freeway. From a stop, I noticed a cloud of smoke as I accelerate and when I let off to shift. I couldnt tell the color so I put my GoPro camera on the back of the car.

The car has Evosport race cats, Magnaflow exhaust, K&N intake filters, and new MAFs (i am asking the prev owner of the brand). You can hear it popping a lot when its cold. On with the video.
<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lrQgEW0gA7c?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>
More questions:

- When I pop my trunk using my key, should it fold up hands free? Wondering if my trunk dampers are dead.

- My wipers seem to loose their 0 point. When they come down towards the hood they rebound a bit, and this is making the intermittent function not work. Occasionally they go down to the correct point and stop, and the intermittent will work for a max of about 10 strokes and then they will rebound again. I tried cleaning the windshield around the sensor.

I think that is all for now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I can only answer the trunk question.... Mine does not open hands free. It just pops open enough for me to pull it up. I have never seen any BMW that pops the trunk open like a Cadillac.

Reactions: Fourced4cyl

·
Registered
958 Posts
That puff of smoke in your 3rd gear acceleration looks a little oily to me. It does not look like the white smoke of a headgasket leak. I think your valve seal guess might be right on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That puff of smoke in your 3rd gear acceleration looks a little oily to me. It does not look like the white smoke of a headgasket leak. I think your valve seal guess might be right on.

Good to hear. Im wondering if the race cats have picked up anything since the car has been sitting since July. Also, the previous owner was using Total Quartz 10w-50, which is still in it. Not sure that that would affect it, but when i get time to do my oil change i have 12 liters of TWS 10w-60 waiting for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My E60 535 will clock you in the jaw

...when you pop the trunk open using the remote key.

But my E39 M5 is same as yours - doesn't pop up at all. I think the dampers are dying though, since the trunk lid tends to droop sometimes too.

Anyone ever replace them before?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Your wiper home position 'sensor' might need a little attention.

Your wiper mechanism consists of a motor (worm drive) driving a plastic gear wheel which in turn moves the linkages connected to the arms.
On the plasic gear wheel is a metal contact that links two spring contacts mounted in the cover (which in turn 'inform' the control system that the wipers are at the 'home' position).
You could have some dirt affecting the electrical contact or the sprung arms have lost a little tension.

Investigating would require removing the wiper mechanism but this isn't really such a big job, if you're handy with spanners you could have it off in half an hour.

Other than a dodgy connection or wiper stalk, I can't think of anything else it could be.

Have a look. Hth.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
...when you pop the trunk open using the remote key.

But my E39 M5 is same as yours - doesn't pop up at all. I think the dampers are dying though, since the trunk lid tends to droop sometimes too.

Anyone ever replace them before?
Mine lifts itself off the latch just a tiny bit. Once I open the trunk it stays open but i never have it half way up. If you want to replace them, Pelican Parts - Porsche Parts & BMW Parts - Automotive Parts and Accessories - Porsche & BMW has them pretty cheap. I think they were $25 each. They are probably easy to replace. I have done hood dampers on other cars, and there is usually a clip that slides out of the socket on the damper and lets it come off the ball.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your wiper home position 'sensor' might need a little attention.

Your wiper mechanism consists of a motor (worm drive) driving a plastic gear wheel which in turn moves the linkages connected to the arms.
On the plasic gear wheel is a metal contact that links two spring contacts mounted in the cover (which in turn 'inform' the control system that the wipers are at the 'home' position).
You could have some dirt affecting the electrical contact or the sprung arms have lost a little tension.

Investigating would require removing the wiper mechanism but this isn't really such a big job, if you're handy with spanners you could have it off in half an hour.

Other than a dodgy connection or wiper stalk, I can't think of anything else it could be.

Have a look. Hth.
I can dig in to the assembly some time. Youre right, sounds like the wiper (like a potentiometer) that sends the signal of the wiper position could be dirty. I was wondering if this was how they are controlled. Thanks

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Even with new dampers,the trunk lid only pops out of the latch.That's it...

Was at that time only available on the E38 which had an option for a hydraulic trunk lid...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts