BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing this in steps but there is some progress as of today.

I cut the tape out wires (blue/yellow) and attached quick connects to them (I even did the ones on the monitor side in case cassette makes a comeback :)).

I took apart a Radio Shack RCA-to-stereo jack and soldered quick connects to match the tape out ones. Now I had female RCAs behind the monitor.

I ran 2 sets of cables from the front behind the monitor to the trunk. One set is just stereo (red/white) to send audio from trunk to tape input, and the other set is A/V (red/white/yellow) to send A/V from the iPhone to the trunk.

I removed the cup holders and notched the tray for the Apple composite A/V cable.

With cup holders back in...

With dock attached...

iPhone in dock...

It is easy to hit the screen on the phone, and the phone is not blocking any buttons on the console. The drivers side cup holder is still usable.

I still need to wire up the line driver in the trunk and the video portion of this project (Nav-TV, DVD).

Hope this helps...
-D

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
The drivers side cup holder is still usable.
When did it start being usable?!? :3:

Thanks for sharing. I really liked the BSW dock that replaces the ashtray but couldn't really justify the cost. I ran my connector through that little roll-up door in the arm rest. My iPod video sits in there and when in its leather case doesn't look like an iPod which is better from a security issue. I can also just tuck in the cord and shut the door and nothing shows.

I agonized for weeks over aftermarket or OEM upgrades and have decided to just go with the OEM widescreen and mk4 nav (upgrading my 4:3 mk2).

Sure it would be nice to have a DVD player, etc but my iPod interface does most of what I need and I keep the OEM look.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts