BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just opened my plenum up hoping to clean the inside and if my nerves allow, may be even clean the throttle bodies.

Here are a couple of pictures for reference, car has 65K miles and I don't know if the plenum has ever been cleaned.

Wish me luck as I have never cleaned throttle bodies on a car before

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Does anyone know what the torque figures are for the following:

- Tall bolts on the top-outside of plenum

- Hundreds (seemingly) of silver bolts that attach the plenum to throttle bodies

- The Small bolts for the pipes

Is the gasket between the plenum and TB re-usable?
I would hate to take the plenum completely off only to realize that the gasket needs to be replaced.

Where is this pool of oil in the picture supposed to go?

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I know people HAVE re-used gaskets but they are not that expensive, for the price and peace of mind you should just get a new gasket - especially at those miles, it will definitely help.

Not sure of torque numbers though
But really man it is clean under that plenum! Very nice!

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know people HAVE re-used gaskets but they are not that expensive, for the price and peace of mind you should just get a new gasket - especially at those miles, it will definitely help.

Not sure of torque numbers though
But really man it is clean under that plenum! Very nice!

I will check on gasket availability. I guess that DOES mean the car is out of commission for a day or two.

Is it REALLY that clean, I thought it was pretty dirty but I have not seen many inside-plenum pics.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
This is what mine looked like when I pulled it off for the ESS installation. Not all that different from yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Does anyone know what the torque figures are for the following:

- Tall bolts on the top-outside of plenum

- Hundreds (seemingly) of silver bolts that attach the plenum to throttle bodies

- The Small bolts for the pipes

Is the gasket between the plenum and TB re-usable?
I would hate to take the plenum completely off only to realize that the gasket needs to be replaced.

Where is this pool of oil in the picture supposed to go?
The first two sets of bolts you ask about are torqued working from the inside out a 5Nm and again at 10Nm. Some of us SC'd guys like to give them and extra little twist to help avoid boost leaks. Until you spring for the blower, you'll be fine.

I don't have spec's for the velocity stack nuts. Just use a 1/4" drive and be somewhat gentle. You don't want to break those.

The rubber gasket between the plenum bottom and the TB's is part of the plate that includes the integrated TB boots. No need to touch them unless there is an obvious problem. Changing them ranks fairly low on the fun-o-meter.

The 3 oil drains in the plenum bottom aren't actually drains at all. They are connected to each other by external tubing and go nowhere. Maybe some else can explain why. :dunno:

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I will check on gasket availability. I guess that DOES mean the car is out of commission for a day or two.

Is it REALLY that clean, I thought it was pretty dirty but I have not seen many inside-plenum pics.
For those miles, that is a very clean plenum. Ive seen pictures of people's plenums that are entirely brown/orange, covered in oils. Your car is healthy, its a good thing :noSMG:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those miles, that is a very clean plenum. Ive seen pictures of people's plenums that are entirely brown/orange, covered in oils. Your car is healthy, its a good thing :noSMG:
Oh ok, thank you and Good to know.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
She is all done. I decided to not do the TBs for now, will get them come spring time.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
with a plenum that clean, there's no reason to clean the TBs. You'd just basically be wasting your time and risking breaking something.

Reactions: blackxs

·
Registered
555 Posts
looks about the same as mine did. Pulled it off at 85K. I reused my gasket. When I changed my spark plugs... well that was another story. quite a mess let me tell you...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts