BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searched and didnt see any discussion on this anywhere...
» Blog Archive » Tuning for FMU velocity stacks – S54/S62/S65 motors

Not sure they would add any major HP, considering they are taking in hot engine air and not through a tuned plenum - but I bet it adds some nice upper end power.
What do you guys think?
Heres the noise it makes... though you are also hearing an exhaust cutout. Would love to hear these with a stock exhaust or just a muffler delete.
YouTube - Fluid Motor Union 7 Series on ITB's

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Give it a normal suspension setup and that's one of the sickest cars on the planet. I just hate that slammed "herra frush" body style. Still an awesome car

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

E55AMG2 said:
Give it a normal suspension setup and that's one of the sickest cars on the planet. I just hate that slammed "herra frush" body style. Still an awesome car
I agree, it's a bit too "stance"
What is this "stance" kids speak about.

;)

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Open air itb's sounds awesome and can help power but for the s62 I don't know that its the case. I wouldn't do it bur I do have itb's on my corolla and they sound lovely.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Love the look of those carbon VS's they look amazing, how does it work with filtering the air and sucking in warm air?

it works exactly as it looks - hot, unfiltered air.

Reactions: nerio02

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
it works exactly as it looks - hot, unfiltered air.
Unless you are opening up the throttle body diameter, I don't see how these would add power, even if they were not sucking underhood hot air.ouich
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I wouldn't want to daily drive an un-filtered S62......

i'm sure the sound is lovely, and you could modify things to reduce under-hood temps; but, in the end, it just looks neat.

·
Registered
2002 M5, Imola / Imola
1,703 Posts
Poke 'em through the hood and use some mesh, a'la Ferrari 250 TR, and you've got cold filtered air! Not sure the our Bimmer's can pull it off as flawlessly though :dunno:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
but iff you could fit those in the plenium then you have the best off both worlds :hihi:

those carbon fibre ones on the pic look like oem laminated trumpets.maybe one off us schould try too fabricate some

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Poke 'em through the hood and use some mesh, a'la Ferrari 250 TR, and you've got cold filtered air! Not sure the our Bimmer's can pull it off as flawlessly though :dunno:

sexy car..MMM

but when it rains you can hold fisches in the itb's:grinyes:
not too mention the hydro lock you would get afterwards..

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
I wouldn't want to daily drive an un-filtered S62......

i'm sure the sound is lovely, and you could modify things to reduce under-hood temps; but, in the end, it just looks neat.
The main thing for me is the lack of filtration. By the time the air hits the back of the valves, it's already very hot...

Cant argue that it looks cool though. I'd love a set of those carbon trumpets if they fit in the plenum.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
The main thing for me is the lack of filtration. By the time the air hits the back of the valves, it's already very hot...

Cant argue that it looks cool though. I'd love a set of those carbon trumpets if they fit in the plenum.

no real point to them, the OEM FRP trumpets probably weigh the same.

Trumpets are pretty simple to make on your own with how available and inexpensive carbon sleeving is these days.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
no real point to them, the OEM FRP trumpets probably weigh the same.

Trumpets are pretty simple to make on your own with how available and inexpensive carbon sleeving is these days.

Not for weight...even the aluminum dinan ones are super duper light. I was thinking more for the noise that carbon fiber makes when it resonates.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
that's a giant variable that would be based on fiber weight, fiber orientation, fiber uniformity, resin porosity, resin hardness, runner length, etc. etc.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
anybody got a idea how you could make/sleeve these.

checked real oem and its 200$ for 8 funnels (oem). but iff you sleeve those you would never get the oem funnels out off there offcourse.what makes it pointless .
only need 3 too make a set though.

i got some cf history but how do we start on these.
make a cast in gypsum or fibrerglass ? no clue..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts