BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you see, that some M5 have a hole for the key on the trunk and some not. Why?

On the new fotos from backhammania they all have this hole. Most of the other fotos don´t have. On the fotos from backhammania you see also the small spoiler lip on the trunk.

·
Registered
955 Posts
mumbasic said:
Did you see, that some M5 have a hole for the key on the trunk and some not. Why?

On the new fotos from backhammania they all have this hole. Most of the other fotos don´t have. On the fotos from backhammania you see also the small spoiler lip on the trunk.
the M5 with keyhole on the trunk (basically M5 with regular 5ser's trunk) are just test cars. whereas M5 without keyhole is the final production-spec car.

and i belive the extra trunk lip spoiler is a cost option on the E60 M5 :blink:

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
So how do you open it from the outside without a remote? Is it hidden in a flipover badge?

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Is there no keyhole or is the keyhole just not visible as in my E46 M3 where it is under an overhang in the license plate recess area?

Tom

·
Registered
383 Posts
Anyone normally use the key hole?

If you have the key in your hand you can either press the button to unlock the car or just release the boot(trunk). The only time I can think to actually use the key hole would be to isolate the boot unlocking from the rest of the car.

Something I've never done and not sure but the new M5 could use the same system as the 7 and have a switch to isolate it in the locable central storage bin.

Strange that the boot(trunk) key hole raised interest, did people feel the same when the passenger door key hole was removed? I would of thought this one more important as if someone attacked the drivers door you would still have a functioning key hole to atempt acess through.

To be honest I cant remember the last time I put a key into a door or boot. Probably on my E34 to activate the deadlocks. Even this is now controlled remotley. As the key charges in the ignition, unless it gets damaged, I can't think of a time any key hole on the car would be used.

Sacha...

·
Registered
383 Posts
vndkshn said:
car battery dies....
Dont think anyone on this board would not drive their car for a long enough period to let the battery go flat. But good point.

With no boot(trunk) key hole, you would have to unlock the car through the drivers door pop the bonnet(hood) and provide power to release the boot for battery access. Bit of a pain:(

·
Registered
955 Posts
HomerUK said:
Dont think anyone on this board would not drive their car for a long enough period to let the battery go flat. But good point.

With no boot(trunk) key hole, you would have to unlock the car through the drivers door pop the bonnet(hood) and provide power to release the boot for battery access. Bit of a pain:(
the thing is, without power, you won't even be able to open the door! i learned that the hard way. and thankfully there's keyhole to open the trunk in my E39.

i wonder what to do when battery goes flat on a E60 :confused2

·
Registered
383 Posts
tifosi said:
the thing is, without power, you won't even be able to open the door! i learned that the hard way. and thankfully there's keyhole to open the trunk in my E39.

i wonder what to do when battery goes flat on a E60 :confused2
There is a special way to open the cars wirth no power.

The reason you couldn't open the door with the key and no power is the deadlocks are active. There is a method for overcomming the deadlock on the drivers door with the key. It involves using the door handle and key in a certan way, it was a black magic type skill on the E34 but once you had it it was supprisingly easy. The E34 3.6 M5 I used to have had an intermittent voltage draining problem so I got quite good at this strange skill after trips away.

·
Registered
955 Posts
HomerUK said:
There is a special way to open the cars wirth no power.

The reason you couldn't open the door with the key and no power is the deadlocks are active. There is a method for overcomming the deadlock on the drivers door with the key. It involves using the door handle and key in a certan way, it was a black magic type skill on the E34 but once you had it it was supprisingly easy. The E34 3.6 M5 I used to have had an intermittent voltage draining problem so I got quite good at this strange skill after trips away.
cool stuff, didn't know this.

i dont' think this is on the manual right?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
HomerUK said:
I was thinking of the drain you mention, long time sitting in a parking lot in the winter (like an airport), defective battery, battery near the end of its life (that picks the worst time to actually die of course!). Good to hear that there is an emergency way in, sad to hear that it is not fully advertised.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've never seen this in the manual for any 5, I only found out by contacting the BMW assist stating I was locked out of my car due to a flat battery.

I never had to do it on my E39 so it might be a lot easier now, on the E34 you had to start turning the key and at a certain point rais the handle. This difficulty might also be because our drivers doors are the opposit to everyone else and the mechanics might be located slightly differently within the door skin.

With regards to batteries going flat in the E60, I would hope that the electronic servicing monitors and such like would be able to prempt any such drastic failures.

·
Registered
383 Posts
One thing that struck me today is what happens to cars fitted with keyless go?

I know it used to be a gimmic for top of the range motors but here in the UK the new Nissan Micra comes with this. If its a card system like MB used you wouldn't even have a key with you if the battery did go flat.

Not a good situation to be in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts