BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spoke to a senior BMW tech today who has had some 'introduction' training on the new M5. According to him there are two engines lined up for the M5 and the decision has not been made as to which will see production

1) V8 TT as mentioned everywhere. However it is tweaked over and above the X5M/X6M despite what one person on here insists

2) V10 TT. According to him this is still a possibility.:15:

Just passing on what he said

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
It would seem odd that they wouldn't have chosen the final engine yet. I fully expect the V8TT but a V10TT would be truly badass.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It would seem odd that they wouldn't have chosen the final engine yet. I fully expect the V8TT but a V10TT would be truly badass.
I thought exactly the same thing. That would mean they were still testing both engines. Strange, but that's what he said. He had no reason to lie, but still could be wrong!

·
4,362 Posts
Thanks. Could you please provide a link to that confirmation by BMW?
Auto-News -> Interview mit Dr. Kay Segler, Chef der BMW M GmbH (Nachricht)

Dr. Segler bestätigte uns gegenüber auch den kommenden BMW M5, den wir in im Laufe des Jahres 2011 erwarten können. Von zuletzt zehn Zylindern wird der Motor des nächsten M5 auf acht turbobeatmete Zylinder „downgesizt“. Die Maschine wird auf dem 555 PS starken Aggregat der Modelle X5 M und X6 M basieren, zur genauen Leistung wollte Dr. Segler aber noch keine Hinweise geben. Wir schätzen, dass sie zwischen 580 und 600 PS liegen könnte. Leichtbaukonzepte – wie etwa das Karbondach beim aktuellen M3 Coupés – schloss Dr. Segler aufgrund der Größe des 5ers allerdings aus. Das Entwicklungsziel beim M5 laute, eine feinfühlige Ansprache wie bei einem Saugmotor hinzubekommen, bei gleichzeitiger Reduzierung des CO2-Ausstoßes um 25 Prozent.
google translate:
Dr. Segler also confirmed to us the next BMW M5, we can expect in the course of 2011. From last ten cylinders of the engine of the next M5 to eight cylinder turbo ventilated "downgesizt. The machine is based on the 555-hp engine of the X5 M and X6 M models, for accurate performance was Dr. sailors but no instructions. We estimate that it could be 580-600 hp. Lightweight concepts - such as the carbon roof at the current M3 Coupé - concluded Dr. sailors because of the size of the 5 Series but made. The development objective in the M5 loud about how to achieve a sensitive response as a naturally aspirated engine, while reducing CO2 emissions by 25 percent.

i don't doubt they were and are still testing the TT V10 - it's customary for manufacturers to test out things that are unlikely to make production; the E39 M5 Touring, E34 M5 Vert, 7-Series Goldfish, & E60 M5 5.5L N/A V10 + DCT are all examples of this. do i think the F10 M5 will have a V10? by your word am 95% sure it'll be a V8 - i don't doubt some bmw test-driver leaked word he's driving around a TT V10 and it trickled down to your tech, but it still seems like a big fan-service for them to release a V10 after the Segler interview

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Thanks for the teaser post, but it has been confirmed by BMW that it will be a TTV8. I wish it was a TTV10....sooooo bad!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry guys if it's nonsense, just passing on what I was told:sad3:

As John Anthony mentioned though perhaps they have been testing a v10 tt for 'experimental' reasons, so I could be kind of right;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
While a V10TT would be awesome, it is unlikely due to BMW trying to "Green" up its image. My understanding was that part of the switch to V8TT was to reduce emissions, and a V10TT would not achieve that end.

·
Registered
30 Posts
At the recent M Power Tour event I asked Larry Koch (M Brand Manager in US) what he was allowed to reveal about the F10 M5 engine and he said "not much". I asked "is it going to be based on and similar to the X5M/X6M engine?" and he said "let me put it this way, if you went through all the engineering and R&D to develop something, would you start over from scratch on something different? No."

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
At the recent M Power Tour event I asked Larry Koch (M Brand Manager in US) what he was allowed to reveal about the F10 M5 engine and he said "not much". I asked "is it going to be based on and similar to the X5M/X6M engine?" and he said "let me put it this way, if you went through all the engineering and R&D to develop something, would you start over from scratch on something different? No."
Total tongue-in-cheek post, but:

BMW loves to introduce new engines mid-cycle in the non-M cars... would be interesting if they brought out a TTV10 in another 3 years. Don't think that has ever happened in the M division, though. But maybe the global economy will be rising back up by then and then this Efficient Dynamics phase will be over with :hihi:

·
Registered
750 Posts
If they decide to go for a V10TT last minute, then my name is going right on that list no ifs no buts!

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Total tongue-in-cheek post, but:

BMW loves to introduce new engines mid-cycle in the non-M cars... would be interesting if they brought out a TTV10 in another 3 years. Don't think that has ever happened in the M division, though. But maybe the global economy will be rising back up by then and then this Efficient Dynamics phase will be over with :hihi:
Never going to happen thanks to emissions standards

As in, its not even really possible at this point.

·
Registered
321 Posts
the V8TT is nothing spectacular and unless the new M5 sheds some significant weight it is not going to make any big waves in the auto circuit

an M6 with the V10TT ?????

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do agree that the V10 TT is nigh on impossible given all the reasons stated. Wouldn't it be hilarious though if they did slot it in at the last minute??

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I heard from my friend that his girlfriend heard from her mechanic at Honda whose brother is a mechanic at BMW that got wind that the F10 M5 will be getting a W16 quad-turbo just like the Veyron! I'm definitely getting one! ;)

Reactions: LFC09
1 - 20 of 57 Posts