BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My local dealer received a "pre-order" sheet from BMW and shared it with me today. The 2001 M5's will now offer the garage remote tramsmitter as standard equipment and an "M audio upgrade with extended bass" will be offered. No word on the cost for the audio upgrade. The nav system is still standard but there was no indication that it would be a new version or not. Also, no word on the facelift.

The mix and match choices of sport/exclusive and extended/all leather interiors appear to be gone. It appears only two interior choices remain: Sport/Extended Leather and Luxury/All Leather. I assume that "Luxury" replaces "Exclusive" as the Nappa Point Leather descriptor remains. Aluminum trim is standard with the Sport interior; choice of the same two woods with Luxury.

No other changes were indicated on this document.

I'm thinking of selling my 2000 model (4300 miles) for a 2001 model (October delivery). Any thoughts on what the 2000 model is worth?

Bob

·
Registered
216 Posts
Mentioned in my other post, I was half-heartedly considering an F355 Spider (used).
The highest offer I've got is $85,000CDN or close to $57,000US. But then again, it's dealers' offer I was considering (for taxation benefit), you may get a higher offer from private buyers.
In Toronto, if I trade in the M5 for another car, I have a 15% tax savings making the total $97,750 which is still lower than the MSRP of $102,650.
The M5 is keeping me happy so far that I won't want to lose a dime if I were to trade it in for something else.

If you were to do this, I think, be prepared to shell out another $10K or so I guess.

If there is no face lift, I don't think it's worth it.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The face-lift on the 2001 M5 is confirmed. The M5 will get the following:

New headlight cluster with the illuminated rings and cylindrical looking front turn-signal orb.

Body-molding will be keyed to the car color (no more black on all colors).

The M5 WILL NOT get the run-flats-- same toss up between the Dunlops or Michelins.

The GPS screen will be a little larger.

Alacantara headliner will be standard.

My sources say the mega-bass stereo upgrade will come in at less than 2k.

As well as the other items mention in the first post.

The used M5's are selling for more than MSRP, so you have no problem getting your money out of the car. I am also deliberating the same situation. A friend of mine who has the new 5 series dealer brochure says he does not like the new front-end look. This should be the last style change before the all new 5er in 2 years.

MJ

·
Registered
216 Posts
Boy, then I am selling mine down South! and getting the new one!
Can't believe such a difference in M5 availability between Toronto and US.

Just drove to a dealership today and including mine, 6 M5's were there. Some for service(2), some for delivery(2) and some total loss already(2)!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hey Brian, why are you getting rid of your 2000? Are you gonna get a 2002 when it comes out?

Nothing personal, but you are gonna lose a lot of money trading in each year...BMW will constantly improve their models each year.

You might think about it this way...the '00 M5 might be a bit more rare because it was only produced in this particular fashion for one year.

BTW, have you guys confirmed the M5 Driving Experience for 2001 models?

-Chris

·
Registered
306 Posts
Brian,

If you're buying your F355 off a dealer, I'm sure you can work out a scheme to park your tax credit at a dealer's even when you're selling the car to the US. You simply pay them some money to act as your car broker.

Catch is that you have to make sure it's a very reputable dealer as the proceeds from your M5 sale will be kept there until you chip in the balance to deliver the F355.

Good luck. But why don't you trade in the M5 for a E55 instead!

·
Registered
216 Posts
No, no, no.
Sorry guys for the confusion.
I was only LOOKING at the F355, not seriously trying to buy it in replacement of the M5.
I said I am trading in the M5 simply because I was surprised by the fact that someone is still paying over MSRP for a used one. If that really is the case, I figure there is nothing for me to lose if I were to go 2001.
The only replacement I will get for the M5 is ANOTHER M5!!!
Soundwise, I still enjoy the driver seat of a Ferrari, honest.

I agree with you Chris as I have been doing this for the past 2 years, trading in cars for newer year models and had been losing money big time. However, if I could trade in the 2000 for a 2001 without losing, then it might worth a try.

best regards,
BrianC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts