BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My airbag light just came on out of the blue, 2 weeks before the biannual inspection (MOT) so very good timing :-(

The error code is read by a Foxwell unit and states the following:

ID 45: DTC - Resistance in the driver's airbag firing circuit is too high

Is there anyone that could please advice for things to check?

Gadget Communication Device Font Finger Portable communications device

This is the car:

Tire Sky Wheel Water Vehicle

Steering wheel:
Car Plant Vehicle Speedometer Odometer

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Super clea E34 M5! 馃ぉ
Thanks! It's very nice to look at and has many new parts. Unfortunately I am struggling with some various issues now.

More photos here:

Registered
Likely a pre-tensioner. Check the wiring under the seat as well, leading up to the tensioner. Re-set and see if it comes back.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone know for sure where the location of the Control module for the airbag is on a 02/1992 E34 M5 3,8L?

We can't find it and Googling this topic hasn't yielded any precise information for me...

Registered
You have an error in the firing circuit - which is a pre-tensioner - NOT airbag control module.
Do you have access to BMW software, like Inpa or ISTA?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You have an error in the firing circuit - which is a pre-tensioner - NOT airbag control module.
Do you have access to BMW software, like Inpa or ISTA?
You are probably right about the control module, but I am not not sure what you mean by pre-tensioner. Are you able to be more specific?

We checked under the seat and we only see wiring for seat heating. My bro in law is helping me since he has a mechanic background and I am no mechanic at all. I am not sure what we are looking for but we feel we just see a connector to the seat heating.

No, I don't have access to that software

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I managed to solve the error. Under the steering wheel there are two orange connectors/plugs that are connected together. The left one goes down to the Airbag Control Module, while the right one goes to the steering wheel. The plug on the right has a blue and brown wire, and the blue wire had a bad connection because it wasn't properly attached. I don't think those orange plugs can be opened so I'm looking for a new (used) on in good shape.

Gesture Finger Wood Toy Thumb

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

1 - 10 of 10 Posts