BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody with a Windows Mobile 5.0 based phone can rejoice!

I have been working on three of the biggest problems with the WM5.0 based phones in relation to BMW bluetooth:

Cingular 8125
Verizon XV-6700
Sprint PPC-6700
Verizon Treo 700W
Audiovox PPC 6600
XDA
Jam, JAMin
and others, smartphones and PDA Phones.

Sorry, Palm-based phones are not included.

Problem #1
The phone does not consistently transfer the phonebook, nor does it consistently show meter strength or other symbols as others do.

Problem #2
The phone "unpairs" after a few minutes to hours and has to be re-paired almost everytime you get in the car or start/stop the car.

Problem #3
The phone battery life stinks, especially now that you want to use bluetooth all the time

I think I have come up with solutions to all of these problems!:cheers:

I initially thought this was a problem with the car and it's bluetooth TCU. I was prepared to bring the car in for reprogramming. We all know how that can be cumbersome and I loathe the prospect of having to do it even once. I did some extensive research into the bluetooth stack implementations for WM5.0 phones and found that there is great variability in the stacks - Broadcomm vs. Widcom vs. Microsoft and this produces some of the variability in functionality. Add to this the fact that Verizon phones are somewhat limited in transferring data via OBEX protocols and you have a veritable nightmare on your hands. But the one consistent problem these phones share is the fact that they do not consistently keep a connection. My discovery is that the WM5.0 OS preferentially disconnects bluetooth when the phone goes into a suspended state. This doesn't normally impact headsets because most don't require constant communication via bluetooth. The BMW system does, to update sig strength, phonebook info, and phone status. If the phone goes dormant, it drops the bluetooth connection first to conserve power. This effectively unpairs the phone. You must then awaken the phone, and pair it again. ANNOYING! grrrrrrr

Here are some possible solutions:

Problem#1
A program marketed by JetWare Mobile solutions has cracked the barrier and once installed will standardize the bluetooth stacks and transfer the phonebook on all WM5.0 phones as well as sig strength and missed/received calls. It also allows you to choose the contacts you want to transfer. You can designate any number of contacts to your car phonebook via Outlook categories and once there, it will select them and transfer only them to iDrive.
:7:
The JETware Hands-free Extension provides additional functionality to the built-in Windows Mobile support for the Bluetooth Hands-Free Profile. The Extension allows hands-free devices to:

Read contacts from the Outlook phonebook (“ME” phonebook)
Read contacts from the SIM (“SM” phonebook)
Read the list of dialed calls from the call history (“DC” phonebook)
Read the list of received calls from the call history (“RC” phonebook)
Read the list of missed calls from the call history (“MC” phonebook)
Filter contacts from Outlook phonebook based on Outlook contact categories
Limit number of contacts returned from any phonebook
New! Activate Microsoft Voice Command voice dialing over Bluetooth
New! Use custom ringtones through your Bluetooth device
Show battery charge level
Show signal strength
Show roaming status
Display carrier name
Read message headings from ActiveSync, SMS, or other mail provider
New message notification
Delete messages
Read SIM serial number (used to automatically select display language)
Read GSM phone IMEI number
Read phone default phone number
Read current time from phone
New! Improved Caller ID

Here is the website.
JetWare Mobile Site -- Clicky Here!!

Sah Wheeet!!!!:thumbsup:

In 5 days of testing, no problems, whereas before, no sig strength, and only variable contact transfer.

Problem #2
Re - the explanation above, note that the phone goes into a suspended mode. If you go into your power settings -->Advanced tab-->unclick box labeled Turn off device if not used for... in the External power settings.

This will keep phone ON and ready while connected to a power source.

Once you do this, the connection maintains itself. So far in my testing, the connection has remained very stable. Only catch is you have to awaken the phone before you connect to your car charger. Obviously also having your bluetooth on at that time as well. You can do this before or after you start the car. It will connect 100% of the time.

Problem #3
Since you are charging the phone continuously, the battery life remains unaffected by the bluetooth. ZERO IMPACT on battery life. For those of you who prefer to keep phone in trunk, use trunk power port. Those of you who hate charging phone in car... You're screwed anyways. Learn to do it.

I hope these are useful solutions. Some of us out there are power users and love the versatility of having a PDA phone. I was very reluctant to give mine up for the sake of having a phone that works with the car.

Good luck out there, and please report back if there are any problems encountered along the way.

** I don't work for Jetware Mobile, nor do I represent their company or software in any way other than as a satisfied consumer **

·
Registered
445 Posts
strange.. not a single issue with either my blackberry 8700 and now my Cingular 8125. The treo's if under firmware 1.04 have known to have issues but from all the research, it's more to do with the phone and firmware than anything else. Even on my E39 m5, no problems with phone book transfers and connectivity on my 8125.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah, some don't have any problems at all, as the firmware may have taken care of the problems, but for those like myself who prefer Verizon, or if the phone is only intermittent in connectivity, this has been the fix-it thus far.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've tried it all and am ready to toss the 700wx. Amongst other problems is the difficulty with bluetooth connectivity. I've tried Spatterso's recommendations amongst others. I've visited the TreoCentral discussion forums with no luck. The connection is slightly more stable but I still drop the first several calls. After three or four calls it seems to be relatively stable. This is with the Jetware software installed; power settings changed to remain on; phone plugged in and phone powered-up before starting the car. In addition the contacts do not sync at all. With my old Treo 650 at least the favorites would sync. I am seriously considering another phone. Unfortunately I rely on a lot of the features offered by a smartphone. Any brilliant insights would be appreciated.

Gordon

·
Registered
419 Posts
nevermind... checked into it and realized no info on the Sony Ericsson

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've tried it all and am ready to toss the 700wx. Amongst other problems is the difficulty with bluetooth connectivity. I've tried Spatterso's recommendations amongst others. I've visited the TreoCentral discussion forums with no luck. The connection is slightly more stable but I still drop the first several calls. After three or four calls it seems to be relatively stable. This is with the Jetware software installed; power settings changed to remain on; phone plugged in and phone powered-up before starting the car. In addition the contacts do not sync at all. With my old Treo 650 at least the favorites would sync. I am seriously considering another phone. Unfortunately I rely on a lot of the features offered by a smartphone. Any brilliant insights would be appreciated.

Gordon
Purkinjie, I recently switched from an XV6700 to a Treo 700w, then to a 700wx via Verizon. If you go through your contacts on the phone and find the item in each contact marked category, you will find one category called 'Carkit'. click that box for all the contacts that you want to show up on your iDrive. It will add those contacts sure and simple. There should also be a program called 'THB Kit" in the settings>personal section. click all the buttons on that to make things work. Finally, in the Jetwaremobile section. Do the following:

select phonebook option, click all the options
select messaging option, click phonebooks, messaging, (KEEP Caller ID BLANK), click query status indicators, update status indicators, hang up/swap selections.

This is the exact settings profile I use, and all my chosen contacts sync (NO NEED TO SET UP FAVORITES), I have name callerID, and bluetooth is set to stay on around the clock, so it syncs the moment I start the car without having to do anything. If this doesn't work, switch your phone out cuz it has a problem.

Post back if you run into any problems after following these instructions.

Good Luck!!!
:wroom:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Spatterso,

Thanks for the reply. It's been killing me for the past month. In my settings there is no THB kit under the personal tab...or anywhere else. Was this bundled with Jetwaremobile? I have a 700wx, but shouldn't be a big difference. In addition I cannot find the jetwarmobile program to make changes. I can find it only by doing Add/Remove programs and then I see it. I still have the setup .cab file and have reinstalled it from the phone. It seems that Jetwarmobile is running in the background but has no interface from the Programs section. Seems this is the main problem perhaps. Thanks again for your advice. I've been researching this topic forever on multiple forums.

Gordon

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
Good work! :thumbsup:

Dave

·
Registered
316 Posts
Thanks for the great post spatterso, very helpful...

I too have followed your directions, and have not been able to locate THB kit under personal settings. I did a little research on the Palm website, and that is a program for the Treo 700P, not Treo 700W. It is also for a WIRED hands free kit that they sell, not a bluetooth configuration. So to answer the previous post, I dont think it is necessary to have this program active. I will tinker around with it when I get home tonight, but so far so good.

It was annoying to change every individual contact into CarKit category tho... haha.

Agent

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I have the software on my 8525, but due to other issues with the phone bluetooth disconnects at random times. It'll sometimes stay connected for a good while, and then other times it'll drop after 5 minutes. I have hope that a ROM upgrade (supposedly forthcoming) will address this issue with an otherwise fantastic phone / PDA.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Update on Bluetooth and BMW

spatterso... I followed everything and worked perfectly. I have noticed that all the contacts are sync'ed properly and no connectivity issues. Did not drop a single call. Works perfect.

Also, I would add that, everytime before you start the engine, you have to power up the Treo, so that BMW can find the bluetooth and connect. That's the only annoying part about it. If you properly connect the Treo, you will see bars next to your antenna icon on the bottom line of the center console.

Thanks again, you've spared me from getting a new phone. Hopefully it will sync with the iPhone as well...

Agent

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wish I could say the same. I found a bluetooth stack from the Treocentral forums that has been helping with bluetooth headsets (as well as a2DP--the protocol for streaming music over bluetooth). This has helped many users with the drop issue involving bluetooth. It also installed THB kit in the personal section for me. Despite all this, and following spatterso''s instruction I get more dropped calls than connected ones. I cannot believe that between a high end car and smartphone I cannot get a consistent connection. Also, no sync in the contacts despite the Carkit option selection within my contacts. I'm about to quit. My wife is ready to dump the phone if I don't. Thinking about switching over to a basic cell phone in the hopes of getting good bluetooth functionality. I guess I could get a new 700wx, but don't know if it's worth reinstalling all of the third party software I have and reconfiguring the phone all over again. I cannot recommend this phone to anybody at this point.

Gordon

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Strange about the THB kit not being on your phone. Are you with Verizon or Sprint. I have a brand new 700wx from Verizon. Purkinjie, open your programs folder. You should see another folder titled "Bluetooth Options" Open it and then click on the program titled "Handsfree Config". That is the program to make the adjustments as described in previous post. Forget about the TBH kit section. You should have that folder or else somehow the program did not install correctly. It must be installed according to instructions. The other very important part is to go through your contacts and activate the carkit category, or else, it will not sync your selected contacts.

Good luck. Post again with results.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Steve,

I have a new Sprint 700wx. I have jetware and have configured via the "handsfree" folder. As per your recommendations I have configured Jetware. I have also selected a handful of my contacts to "Carkit" within the options. I only selected a couple of them so that the synchronization with the car would be fairly quick. Despite this, the bluetooth connection is lost before the contacts can or should sync. My connection is very sporadic. I have changed the power management such that the phone is always on while connected (this is achieved by unchecking the boxes under the power settings). Steve, I have two children but I would gladly name my third 'Spatterso' if you can help me solve this:)

Gordon

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gordon,

My advice is based on the assumption that you do not have a ton of other programs already installed. Ready??

Sync your computer, then do a hard reset, then reinstall the jetwaremobile bluetooth stack.

Set up the options as described in above post. Your carkit contacts should remain, as they are sync'd to your outlook computer when you sync.

Choose a 4 digit number when you do your link to the BMW bluetooth. Once you are connected, make sure you have the handsfree box selected as well.

I keep my bluetooth on full time, mainly because I hook up to the charger every night. It connects immediately once I get in the car and get going. I suspect you will have the same experience. PM me if you have any problems and we can work out a solution. I want this phone to work out for you!! I also want a spot in your will!!!

My suspicion is that your installation of the stack was corrupted somehow. It should connect and stay connected, without any fuss.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You did it! I had to re-install software but it was worth it. I was so close to tossing this phone! Now that my Agendus calendar is also working I have 2/3 reasons to keep the phone. If only I could get my Citrix client to work and view CT scans on my phone I would be complete. Thanks for everything. Baby Spatterso Nakata it'll be. :applause:

Gordon Nakata

1 - 20 of 52 Posts