BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this on bmwtips.com and thought that you folks who have this problem might find it useful. Strangely enough, I have never seen this message before and I don't have this "fix" in place. This applies to the lowbeams but I'd imagine that things should be the same for the foglights as well.
-------------------------------

CHECK LOWBEAM LIGHTS after HID Upgrade.

This is caused by the cars system checking to see if your low beam light circuit is closed meaning the H7 bulb's filament is still connected. If it is cut or burned out, then the check lowbeam lights kicks on.

If you have not replaced your H7 bulbs to HID then your low beam H7 bulb(s) needs replacement.

If you've upgraded to HID lamps from H7 bulbs then you'll get the CHECK LOWBEAM LIGHTS Message.

Since HID's use a ballast and the bulbs in HID's do not have a filament but xenon gas to eluminate the lamps, this causes the system to think the old H7 bulb is burned out.

You have few options, build a resistor pack like the one pictured below that will fix this error message. Install City Lights to or Purchase a Hella resistor pack to resolve the problem.

Xenon upgrade fix.

By lefty

Problem: When upgrading to Xenon Lights from halogen an error message displays saying "check lowbeam". This is because the computer is expecting a certain resistance from the presence of halogen bulbs. By upgrading to xenon the resistance is incorrect. This error only occurs when lights are turned off. This solution is creates a switching resistor that turn off when the light are turned on. The resistor packs that you get from Hids4less or other vendors are "always on" resistors that provide resistance even when lights are turned on.

Notes: This fix is intended for the 5 series e39. This solution make work on other cars, but ONLY if the error message displays when the lights are turned off.

See the rest of the instructions here.

B

·
0 Posts
atomic80 said:
I found this on bmwtips.com and thought that you folks who have this problem might find it useful. Strangely enough, I have never seen this message before and I don't have this "fix" in place. This applies to the lowbeams but I'd imagine that things should be the same for the foglights as well.
-------------------------------

CHECK LOWBEAM LIGHTS after HID Upgrade.

This is caused by the cars system checking to see if your low beam light circuit is closed meaning the H7 bulb's filament is still connected. If it is cut or burned out, then the check lowbeam lights kicks on.

If you have not replaced your H7 bulbs to HID then your low beam H7 bulb(s) needs replacement.

If you've upgraded to HID lamps from H7 bulbs then you'll get the CHECK LOWBEAM LIGHTS Message.

Since HID's use a ballast and the bulbs in HID's do not have a filament but xenon gas to eluminate the lamps, this causes the system to think the old H7 bulb is burned out.

You have few options, build a resistor pack like the one pictured below that will fix this error message. Install City Lights to or Purchase a Hella resistor pack to resolve the problem.

Xenon upgrade fix.

By lefty

Problem: When upgrading to Xenon Lights from halogen an error message displays saying "check lowbeam". This is because the computer is expecting a certain resistance from the presence of halogen bulbs. By upgrading to xenon the resistance is incorrect. This error only occurs when lights are turned off. This solution is creates a switching resistor that turn off when the light are turned on. The resistor packs that you get from Hids4less or other vendors are "always on" resistors that provide resistance even when lights are turned on.

Notes: This fix is intended for the 5 series e39. This solution make work on other cars, but ONLY if the error message displays when the lights are turned off.

See the rest of the instructions here.
Thanks for posting. I wonder if this can also fix the "Check Foglights" message that I am getting with my Xenon fogs.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BeastPower said:
Thanks for posting. I wonder if this can also fix the "Check Foglights" message that I am getting with my Xenon fogs.

Cheers, Daniel.
That's why I posted this...I think that this WILL take care of the "Check Foglights" message.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
Yes, this approach will fix anything.A relay is simply a switch that is powered by 12V. The power comes from the circuit that lights the lights. When the power is off, the switch is in one position, I'll call it position "NC", which means "normally closed" - that is the term you'll find in the documentation about the relay. when power is on, the relay is in the "Normally Open" or "NO" position (i.e., it is "normally open because it is open when power is off.).

The circuit is wired to disconnect the HID and substitute the normal bulb in its place when the power is off - i.e., the power that normally goes straight to the headllight or foglight is instead routed to the common conductor of the relay's switch. The actual headlamp or foglamp (HID in this case) is wired to that NO pole of the switch, and the "fake/dummy" load (the H7 bulb) is wired to the NC pole. when power is off, the car's computer "sees" the H7 bulb, but when it is on, the HID circuit gets the power.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thanks for the info, but what about for daytime running lights? I have my high beams unplugged b/c I hate how they look. They are on all the time...can a relay be used to trick that error as well, or is going to the dealer and paying $100 to turn them off the only solution?

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You have to get your daytime running lights turned off at the dealership. If you manage to find a friendly salesperson, he should be able to do it for you for free. It takes all of 5 minutes to do the job. Shouldn't cost $100.

·
Registered
55 Posts
atomic80 said:
You have to get your daytime running lights turned off at the dealership. If you manage to find a friendly salesperson, he should be able to do it for you for free. It takes all of 5 minutes to do the job. Shouldn't cost $100.
I went there to the dealer, he said you have to hook up some "module" to the obd2 port, and it will be 1 hour or labor. Does this have to be done by the dealer? What did they do to your car that only took 5 minutes?

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's it...you plug that computer module into the OBD2 port and punch a couple of keys and that's it. Done. I'm not sure why the dealership would want to try and charge you one hour labor to do something as simple as that. I'd try finding another dealership if you could. Maybe you could even pop by and see if one of the salesguys could do that for you. Shouldn't be too much trouble. Did you buy your car from there or did you buy it elsewhere?

·
Registered
55 Posts
atomic80 said:
That's it...you plug that computer module into the OBD2 port and punch a couple of keys and that's it. Done. I'm not sure why the dealership would want to try and charge you one hour labor to do something as simple as that. I'd try finding another dealership if you could. Maybe you could even pop by and see if one of the salesguys could do that for you. Shouldn't be too much trouble. Did you buy your car from there or did you buy it elsewhere?
I bought it from a guy in the area, he bought it from there. Maybe if I offer to buy 5-10 liters of oil, he'll hook me up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts