BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well last month i sold my first e39 m5 and almost instantly regreted it...
I went on the search for the next ride and i really didnt know where to go from the m5, i felt like i went to the top and
didnt have the funds to go with an m6 or a newer m5. i was stuck and when i told my gf i was going to look for the same
exact car again she told me i was crazy.

i looked and looked but couldnt find any e39 that i really just fell in love with so i ventured off and looked at different
cars such as b6 s4's, e46 m3's, newer g35's and 350z's and still had a hard time finding a replacement i really liked until i found one nice e46.

Pics of the m5 i sold :(

so much hard work to get it perfect and then i ended up selling it, really regret it now....

Pics of new car - e46 m3 vert

tunning will start soon and i will deff come back to m5 board for advice on wheels and other goodies,
coments and questions welcome also advice how to make this car look good

cheers and happy motoring
cherrsagai:wroom:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just don't get it...

I have watch the board for 2 years. I have longed for an e39 M5 since they first came out...2000... I was a dealer. I have owned mine now for a year.

EVERY "I sold my M5" post is regretful. Is there a faster car? YES. Is there a newer car? YES. Is there a car that drives like a M5? YES. Is there a car that feels like an M5? NO. Is there a car that makes you feel the way you do when you fire that S62...or walk a way and look back..because you know you do...every time....NO.

Do I love you because you are beautiful...or are you beautiful because I love you?

YES!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well a few things i didnt really like,

oil consumption, fear of rod bearing failure after reading all these later posts, check engine light always on due to secondary air/ carbon build up
i started to feel it looked a bit dated and when originally was looking to replace i was looking for awd and 4 door's, i ended up on the opposite side with a vert and 2 doors lol, i will keep this m3 for maybe a year and go to something elese. also i kept the m5 for 2 years, easily the longest i have ever owned a car. i am on my 9th car now

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Nice hood roundel. Hope it's not indicative of how the PO took care of the car. Grats on your new ride!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice hood roundel. Hope it's not indicative of how the PO took care of the car. Grats on your new ride!
I hope not aswell but doubt it's a sign, m3 has 60k on it and previous owner traded it in on a new mdx Acura so it dosent seem that money was a real issue to the previous owner

·
Registered
9,355 Posts
I hope not aswell but doubt it's a sign, m3 has 60k on it and previous owner traded it in on a new mdx Acura so it dosent seem that money was a real issue to the previous owner

Money is not tied to care. At a friend's shop, I saw a gorgeous pearl white Lamborghini Gallardo with 14k miles on it that has never had an oil change.

·
Registered
707 Posts

oil consumption, fear of rod bearing failure after reading all these later posts, check engine light always on due to secondary air/ carbon build up
i started to feel it looked a bit dated and when originally was looking to replace i was looking for awd and 4 door's, i ended up on the opposite side with a vert and 2 doors lol, i will keep this m3 for maybe a year and go to something elese. also i kept the m5 for 2 years, easily the longest i have ever owned a car. i am on my 9th car now
ok, we got you, we wait you back with e39 m5 facelift as you know which the ultimate driving machine is. :D :D :D

·
Registered
154 Posts
SMG or stick on the E46 M3?

I too came back to an E39 M5. Had a 2000 and ended up with a 2001 now after doing the AWD and 4 door thing.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts

I think the answer to mine (and many others) question, why would you sell the E39 M5, is in the above post of yours. Its your 9th car and I am just guessing that you are a young person. Almost every enthusiast I know (including myself) went through the phase where they went through several cars over a short period of time before they actually found out what they liked. Once you find what it is that you want out of a car and what you are looking for, you will stick with it. I remember the time when I could say the same "2 years is the longest I have ever kept a car".

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
How do you like the m3 compared to the m5?
m3 is very different from the m5, i think the power feels much better in the m5 because its throughout the whole rev range vs the m3 which feels almost turbocharged with the power only coming on at 4500 rpm's... i have raced my previous m5 against an e46 m3 and they were neck and neck with my m5 beating my friends m3 by about a car length

The m3 i bought is a vert so i am very excited for the summer and i assume it will be a little bit more entertaining to drive daily but it wont be driven as quick as i drove the m5 due to the power coming on so late and it almost feels abusive towards the car, its hard to explain.

SMG or stick on the E46 M3?

I too came back to an E39 M5. Had a 2000 and ended up with a 2001 now after doing the AWD and 4 door thing.
6spd, there are alot of smg's for sale for a lot lower of a price but it just didnt make sense to me since it lacks a 3rd pedal

Wow all the way from upstate NY to VA to buy the car? I don't feel so bad on the excursions then that I have been on to find my cars. Good luck to you.
Well i bought a convertible and i didnt want to deal with a previous owner by chance leaving the car out in the snow and having the top with damage or any salt with the undercaridge or paint so i figured i could take a few extra hour drive to get a car that was a bit cleaner

·
Registered
446 Posts
This thread comes at a good time. I have a 2001 CB/Caramel M5 with 57k miles. I've had the rod bearings replaced, new gas cap, sway bar mount replaced, yadda yadda....

I have toyed with the idea of selling my car for a couple of months now. I'm not even sure why. I suppose I feel I could liquidate it and get some cash from it; however, even my wife, who usually is all for saving money says it's a horrible horrible idea.

I'm sorry for your loss but thank you for reminding me that I couldn't do it. I do still turn back and look at it at least 5 times a week....even when it's filthy as it is right now. It could very well be the most perfect all around car of all time.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i dont feel to bad because it wasnt the color i always wanted (lemans blue) but if it was i would prlly be crying right now, my advice is not to sell any rare color m5 or your personal fav color m5, you will regret it

silver is a pretty common m5 color so im sure i can get into a similar one fairly quickly if i wanted but at this time i want to see what a convertible is about and if it dosent suit me ill move on to something elese

·
Registered
707 Posts
I think the answer to mine (and many others) question, why would you sell the E39 M5, is in the above post of yours. Its your 9th car and I am just guessing that you are a young person. Almost every enthusiast I know (including myself) went through the phase where they went through several cars over a short period of time before they actually found out what they liked. Once you find what it is that you want out of a car and what you are looking for, you will stick with it. I remember the time when I could say the same "2 years is the longest I have ever kept a car".
you do not have to buy I car to see if it fits you or if you like it. :D
that is why you can drive other cars before buying - cars that are owned by other entuziasts, friends, relatives, family, etc. :thumbsup:
I never buy a car that I do not like.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
you do not have to buy I car to see if it fits you or if you like it. :D
that is why you can drive other cars before buying - cars that are owned by other entuziasts, friends, relatives, family, etc. :thumbsup:
I never buy a car that I do not like.
I try not to buy a car that I don't like either, but sometimes it takes a few months to really learn to hate something.

Almost every enthusiast I know (including myself) went through the phase where they went through several cars over a short period of time before they actually found out what they liked. Once you find what it is that you want out of a car and what you are looking for, you will stick with it.
And sometimes that car that you determine is best for you is one that you've already owned. A test drive, even an overnight loaner, is not long enough to really feel what a car can do. BTDT with cars, motorcycles...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts