BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just sold my 2001 carbon blk m5 - 42k miles w/ s2 pkg. Reasons : 1) tired of manual 2) worried about maintenance as the car is 6 months from off warrenty. 3) sort of wanted a change. 4) sick or carrying 4k pounds with just me in the car.

I looked at wide range of cars - 996 porsche, mazda rx8, g35 infinity, and even bmw 330. I test drove the c55 yesterday and i thought it was great!

Felt small, very fast, and nimble, had 4 doors yet felt small like a sports car, and had very nice interior.

my thought is take the cash from the m5 and drop it on the c55 and i get 4 yr warrenty and v8 power with nice luxuries. needed a change and i realize this car is a softer car but that is what i want right now....may be down the road i get something more aggressive, but right now a c55 is all i need to make sure i get to ralph's grocery store in time b4 the 5pm rush.

if anyone has any input on the c55 reliability or any other issues i would love it since i have yet sighed a check to buy the car.

ps - i drove th s4 and didn't like it as much - interior was weak and 6spd made it less additive

·
Registered
95 Posts
mackenzie said:
i just sold my 2001 carbon blk m5 - 42k miles w/ s2 pkg. Reasons : 1) tired of manual 2) worried about maintenance as the car is 6 months from off warrenty. 3) sort of wanted a change. 4) sick or carrying 4k pounds with just me in the car.

I looked at wide range of cars - 996 porsche, mazda rx8, g35 infinity, and even bmw 330. I test drove the c55 yesterday and i thought it was great!

Felt small, very fast, and nimble, had 4 doors yet felt small like a sports car, and had very nice interior.

my thought is take the cash from the m5 and drop it on the c55 and i get 4 yr warrenty and v8 power with nice luxuries. needed a change and i realize this car is a softer car but that is what i want right now....may be down the road i get something more aggressive, but right now a c55 is all i need to make sure i get to ralph's grocery store in time b4 the 5pm rush.

if anyone has any input on the c55 reliability or any other issues i would love it since i have yet sighed a check to buy the car.

ps - i drove th s4 and didn't like it as much - interior was weak and 6spd made it less additive

I'm sure i will hear it from other board members but your choice sounds good actually the c55 has all the numbers a stock e39 has 4.7 0-60 and a low 13 in the quarter, the interior is bigger than the previous model and it is rather sleek looking, I was an S/A at Infiniti and that g35 is no slouch either with the 6 sp but if you want a automatic out of the cars you commented on the C55 is the best in my lowly opinion. besides poossibly a 996 but i understand the 997 is worlds of improvements over it so you dont want something thats on its way out as the top o line model especcialy with no manual trans, do you? if so those are both good vehicles. Bottom line the v8 auto combo it sounds like you prefer is more than adequate from the C55 especially with RWD. Keep us posted :hihi:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Honestly, I wouldn't make that switch. I suppose if you really don't like driving a stick its make some sense. Personally the 6-speed is one of the things I like about the M5. Despite its weight the M5 handles great and you may find yourself less than satisfied with the AMG product.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
There are going to be people on here that don't like the move. But I say fair play to you. At the end of the day you sometimes need a change. I've recently been in the C-Class and was really impressed with the overall design of the interior. It did feel like it was a touch on the small side. But at the end of the day it's your money, your choice. You could of chosen a lot worse.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i had a 993 6spd and now the m5. time for a more luxury drive but i don't want a lexus es 330. i would love a m3 with real auto but they don't have one, and teh smg sucks as an auto...terrrible lag.

so basically i can spend 35k on a japanese import, or 45k for 330 bmw or 55k for amg c55. so i think this is the best sporty automatic on teh market. i actually was suprise at teh low cost. you should see the interior - after years of benz/chrysler feel, the c55 amg is very nice especially after i drove friends 996...yikes. never have i been more disappointed by a 80k car. inside plastic is similar to a nissan. ugh.

the way i see it - 55k for handbuild german tuned v8 with top of the line interior - not a bad combo.

think you could spend 80k for 6 cylindar subpar amenities for a porsche. or save 10 grand and get a 330 bmw w./ 6 cyclindars and 140 less hp? wow.

just think would u check a box for options on a bmw 330 - that said you get 2 extra cyclindars and 140 more hp and 160 more torque for 10k. i think not a bad deal.

again the build quality seems excellent on this car.

ps i am getting the 55k price out the door due to good relations w/ mbz. but out the door i think this car is 60k normally.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
in terms of fell there are many aspects. i think one of the key aspects for me is the size of the car. i always felt like the m5 was kind of big. forget about the fact it handles great.

i had the entire s2 pkg so my m5 was as good as it was goin to get, but zipping through traffic, parking, and overall feell of a 3 series vs. 5series....there is no amount of money or technology that can replicate a smaller car vs. large sedan.

so i put a big premium to dimension of the car. smaller was better for me..in my 993 i felt like i could just zip through anything....i know exactly where all the four corners of the car was.

the c55 felt like a 3 series i used to have long ago....nice to move around....and the engine- similar size to a standard m5. think about stuffing a m5 engine into a 3 series body...wow.

what i don't miss is the shifting from neutral to first.

·
M5 Extraordinare!
8,320 Posts
I'm going to throw a wrench in the mix here by saying, why not consider a E46 M3 with the SMG2. You'll have an "automatic" for those days where you don't feel like shifting and then you'd have a semi-manual for those days when you DO feel like shifting.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I had a C AMG

Congratulations on the C55. I had a C32 but traded it for an M3 and I am glad I made the change. The more raw, better handling M3 is a better weekend toy for me.

One issue I personally had with the C32 was MB's willingness to dilute the C32 image in order to sell more C-classes. During the 2004 model year, MB released a "sport" package for the regular C-class with a body kit which is almost identical to the C32 AMG kit. And the sport package wheels actually look better than the C32 wheels, IMHO. This may make lower line C-classes more appealing and easier to sell, which is good for MB, but it kills resale on the C32, which was bad for me. Another beef I had with MB was the use of the motor from the C32 in the Chrysler Crossfire SRT, a considerably cheaper car. This made me feel that the premium MB charged for the C32 over the regular C class has little if anything to do with the additional engineering AMG put into the car.

Don't take my griping against MB as an attack on you or your new car. Your C55 is more distinct from the normal C class sedan line than my C32 was, and the V8 power and interior design is a big improvement over the car I had. Enjoy your car!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
atomic80 said:
I'm going to throw a wrench in the mix here by saying, why not consider a E46 M3 with the SMG2. You'll have an "automatic" for those days where you don't feel like shifting and then you'd have a semi-manual for those days when you DO feel like shifting.
i thought the same thing....then i test drove the smg2 m3. ugh. very strange....i hear you get used to it, but the lag is very strang between gears. if you punch it ...less of a lag, but if your just driving normallly it seems like something is missing....you got to drive it to see what i am talkin about. it feels like a shifting but w.o the clutch and gear box feels strange. i tried many different settings on teh smg and no way around it.

smg - very true to the manual experience, but in auto mode it is not what you would expect.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: I had a C AMG

ILC32 said:
Congratulations on the C55. I had a C32 but traded it for an M3 and I am glad I made the change. The more raw, better handling M3 is a better weekend toy for me.

One issue I personally had with the C32 was MB's willingness to dilute the C32 image in order to sell more C-classes. During the 2004 model year, MB released a "sport" package for the regular C-class with a body kit which is almost identical to the C32 AMG kit. And the sport package wheels actually look better than the C32 wheels, IMHO. This may make lower line C-classes more appealing and easier to sell, which is good for MB, but it kills resale on the C32, which was bad for me. Another beef I had with MB was the use of the motor from the C32 in the Chrysler Crossfire SRT, a considerably cheaper car. This made me feel that the premium MB charged for the C32 over the regular C class has little if anything to do with the additional engineering AMG put into the car.

Don't take my griping against MB as an attack on you or your new car. Your C55 is more distinct from the normal C class sedan line than my C32 was, and the V8 power and interior design is a big improvement over the car I had. Enjoy your car!
this is the mbz/chrysler effect that they are moving away from. the new c55 has teh clk amg front to fit the v8. the other c class wont have this.

as u said the interior is amazing...very nice. seats are top notch and all teh dials are excellent. hope the quality is good. the c55 is totally new vs. c32 from what i hear...suspension etc

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Congrats & good luck on the C55 purchase. I too test drove a C55. I liked it a lot but decided to keep the M5 longer. My only complaints were a harsh ride and a smallish interior compared even to the M5. It was good for an auto and had a nicely done interior. Car and Driver liked it in a recent test but felt it fell short on the ride and on-track behaviour even though acceleration, braking, and lane change numbers bested a CTS-V and an S4 (and they had manuals).

If you aren't looking for a track car and have smooth roads, the C55 would be a good choice. Enjoy!

·
Registered
336 Posts
Congrats. I drove the C55 at an AMG driving event over the summer long before any dealers had the car. I was very impressed and thought that it would be the perfect car for someone who wanted a slightly more "civilized" car than an M3. MB did a great job with this interior; a huge improvement over the past C. If you haven't already, you should check out MBworld.org and go to the C55 forum. I don't recall hearing about to many problems. Certainly nothing compared to the E class when that came out.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Re: I had a C AMG

ILC32 said:
During the 2004 model year, MB released a "sport" package for the regular C-class with a body kit which is almost identical to the C32 AMG kit.
BMW does this to their models. You can buy an M Sport Package for the 3 and 5 Series and it basically looks the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts