BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know I sold my '01 M5 last November in order to purchase an E500 that my wife now drives. It was a great 4 years with the M5 which was ordered to spec and delivered to me new in December 2000.

Anyway, it was hard to let go of her and I have been itching to buy myself a new toy ever since.

Last week I happened upon and purchased a Dinan 540i (S3) which turns out to have been Steve Dinan's personal car--up until he started testing with the Imola M5 he currently drives/loans to test pilots. The car is a blast to drive and brings a smile to my face everytime I fire it up. It is bone stock from the outside with the exception of the Dinan wheels...the mechanics of the car are a different story....Thought I'd share some pictures with you all:

Hope to see you on the road...DarkStar

·
Registered
776 Posts
I used to own a Dinan SC'd 540i. The car really pulled hard and at the time I could not find a decent clutch to harness all the power. Living in New Jersey with the summer humidity also caused the motor to heat soak very quickly. There are no intercoolers installed with their kit. On cool days there was nothing like it though. I sold it over a year ago to a guy who shipped back to the west coast and he just loves it. I am now enjoying my Dinan M5 which is even more of a beast than the SC'd 540.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mikeoski said:
I used to own a Dinan SC'd 540i. The car really pulled hard and at the time I could not find a decent clutch to harness all the power. Living in New Jersey with the summer humidity also caused the motor to heat soak very quickly. There are no intercoolers installed with their kit. On cool days there was nothing like it though. I sold it over a year ago to a guy who shipped back to the west coast and he just loves it. I am now enjoying my Dinan M5 which is even more of a beast than the SC'd 540.
Mike, curious: did your car have intake, exhaust, etc. as well as the Dinan clutch and flywheel? Was it the "S3"?

Funny because I actually find the SC 540 to be slightly faster but more importantly better balanced than my M5 (which had mods).

Ted: yes, the car was on consignment at Stanford Euro! Good eyes.

//DS

·
Registered
776 Posts
My '98 540i was a pre 9/98 production so it already had the intake manifold that the new models lacked. I basically purchased the SC kit and smoked the stock clutch/flywheel in no time at all. At that time, I went with the Dinan flywheel and clutch kit which was the early M5 setup that was later strengthened. The clutch still slipped when shifting hard from 1st to 2nd. I also had the stage 3 suspension. The biggest mod that I miss on my M5 was the Quaife differential that I combined with 3.15 gearing. As you know the 6 speed models came with 2.81. Don't get me wrong the car was unbelievable when the air temps were cool. I used to eat corvettes and even gave a few stock M5s a good run for their money. Enjoy Steve's former 540i!

·
Registered
599 Posts
DarkStar said:
Some of you know I sold my '01 M5 last November in order to purchase an E500 that my wife now drives. It was a great 4 years with the M5 which was ordered to spec and delivered to me new in December 2000.

Anyway, it was hard to let go of her and I have been itching to buy myself a new toy ever since.

Last week I happened upon and purchased a Dinan 540i (S3) which turns out to have been Steve Dinan's personal car--up until he started testing with the Imola M5 he currently drives/loans to test pilots. The car is a blast to drive and brings a smile to my face everytime I fire it up. It is bone stock from the outside with the exception of the Dinan wheels...the mechanics of the car are a different story....Thought I'd share some pictures with you all:

Hope to see you on the road...DarkStar

Good Choice!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts