BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Guys,

For those of you who owns 2006-2008 BMW, I am just curious about the differences b/w old software (2006 BMW) and the new one (2007-2008).

The background of the old software would be brownish (1st picture) and the new one would be Grayish.(2nd picture)

Lastly, is it worth to do a software update?

I asked BMW of Seattle earlier today and they quoted me for $215.
They said, software update itself will take 4- 8 hours.

Any comments would be great.

Thank you
:cheers:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,369 Posts
Hi Albert.

Yes, the newer software version will have a gray background instead of brown.

Software update cost is indeed around $200.00 and only dealers can do it.

But if the car is still under warranty and you have to bring it in for an issue that will require a software update - then software update is free.

So you can either wait until an issue shows up or get it done now for a fee.

Is it worth it? Hard to say. Mine was free as my car suffered a limp home mode and check engine light on last year.
The dealer said it is a known issue and will require a software update so they updated my software to the latest and greatest version covered under standard warranty - free of charge.

I think $215.00 is outrageously overpriced. Even though it takes 4 - 8 hours to update the software - the technician doesnt really sit beside the car and wait until the computer is completely done. The tech basically hooks up the computer, hits the start button and walks away and does something else until the computer is finished downloading the new software to your car.

In my opinion, $100.00 is more reasonable, but we dont have a choice as they set the price.

Did you get your M6 already?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If that is a DVD disk based upgrade to the Nav system, you will get nicer looking maps with other view modes if I recall correctly.
Thank you, Mark

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Albert.

Yes, the newer software version will have a gray background instead of brown.

Software update cost is indeed around $200.00 and only dealers can do it.

But if the car is still under warranty and you have to bring it in for an issue that will require a software update - then software update is free.

So you can either wait until an issue shows up or get it done now for a fee.

Is it worth it? Hard to say. Mine was free as my car suffered a limp home mode and check engine light on last year.
The dealer said it is a known issue and will require a software update so they updated my software to the latest and greatest version covered under standard warranty - free of charge.

I think $215.00 is outrageously overpriced. Even though it takes 4 - 8 hours to update the software - the technician doesnt really sit beside the car and wait until the computer is completely done. The tech basically hooks up the computer, hits the start button and walks away and does something else until the computer is finished downloading the new software to your car.

In my opinion, $100.00 is more reasonable, but we dont have a choice as they set the price.

Did you get your M6 already?
Hello Dan,

Sadly, my car is out of warranty. So whether I wait until the problem come or not, I still have to pay for it:hihi:

I had my software update on my 650 because I had a similar problem like you.

So, no one able to do software update other than the dealer? If it's not, What would be the best thing to do if I want to do software update?

I did get my M6 2 days ago, Dan:jump:

and I am going to install my TUBI exhaust today!

So excited!

·
Premium Member
8,369 Posts
Congrats on your M6!

Software update:

Call Bellevue BMW and ask for Michael Edwards. He is my service advisor.
Tell Michael that Dan Loyola asked you to contact him. Tell him you are thinking about getting your software updated to the latest and greatest and hoping that Michael can give you a good deal so you can get it done.

And congrats on the Tubi!
Are you installing it yourself?

Cant wait to see your M6.

eMail me at [email protected]
I have something for you.

Hello Dan,

Sadly, my car is out of warranty. So whether I wait until the problem come or not, I still have to pay for it:hihi:

I had my software update on my 650 because I had a similar problem like you.

So, no one able to do software update other than the dealer? If it's not, What would be the best thing to do if I want to do software update?

I did get my M6 2 days ago, Dan:jump:

and I am going to install my TUBI exhaust today!

So excited!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Is all this information still pertinent or have additional software updates been released? Other than background colour, is there another way to tell the version of the software the car is running? What is the latest version available?

My car is a 2007 M6 convertible.

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I have an 06 and my background looks gray like in the 2nd picture. Maybe a previous owner updated it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
everyone gets a lower price quote than me for the iDrive update :(
My local dealership quoted me $330 for a software upgrade. When I called the next closest one, it saved me over $100. Then someone told me that the local, non-BMW shops can do it too if they have an autologic machine. I called the shop I normally work with and they do in fact have the machine and can do software updates as well.

They wouldn't quote me a price though since they weren't sure how many updates were going to need to be applied.ouich

·
Registered
555 Posts
My local dealership quoted me $330 for a software upgrade. When I called the next closest one, it saved me over $100. Then someone told me that the local, non-BMW shops can do it too if they have an autologic machine. I called the shop I normally work with and they do in fact have the machine and can do software updates as well.

They wouldn't quote me a price though since they weren't sure how many updates were going to need to be applied.ouich
did you tell your shop that you wanted latest and greatest?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Sort of - the shop owner told me that if the software updates are available, then their machine sees them say day or next day.
if it's cheaper than what the dealer charges us, it would be great for the frugal owners who'd wanna save save some money on it if they can get their indy to do it :p

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
We can update your iDrive Software, send me a pm and I can provide you with more information. Also you can look for a indie shop that has a autologic and they can do it as well. The reason it cost so much is because the navi update takes a few hours from my past experience

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a 2007 m6 and I know a while back I did an update myself. I downloaded the software burned it to a disc and inserted it into the nav and it took some time but it did update it to the new grey background and updated views. I do not remember where I read how to do it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts