BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently experienced a strange condition with the clutch pedal on my 2002 M5 with about 60,000 miles on it.

The clutch pedal, at rest, sits about halfway between the floorboard and it's normal position. Its very soft and spongy-like. You could almost press the clutch petal down to the floorboard with a feather - thats how soft it is.

I am able to get the vehicle in gear only when I make the effort to fully depress the clutch pedal hard to floorboards.

I was told if the hydraulic system had a leak, the car would not go into gear at all.

I checked the fluid level and it appears to be fine.

The car is drivable, but something is not right.

Appreciate your advice on this.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I recently experienced a strange condition with the clutch pedal on my 2002 M5 with about 60,000 miles on it.

The clutch pedal, at rest, sits about halfway between the floorboard and it's normal position. Its very soft and spongy-like. You could almost press the clutch petal down to the floorboard with a feather - thats how soft it is.

I am able to get the vehicle in gear only when I make the effort to fully depress the clutch pedal hard to floorboards.

I was told if the hydraulic system had a leak, the car would not go into gear at all.

Does the clutch engage normally once you pass the friction point? In other words, does it slip?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the clutch engage normally once you pass the friction point? In other words, does it slip?
The clutch engages normally once it passes the friction point. It does not slip.

The the car warms up, it shifts fine, but the clutch pedal rests midway between its normal position and the floorboard.

It has no friction whatsoever from its normal position to halfway down to the floorboard. it's like moving "air". No resistance at all.

I think it has something to do with the hydraulic system.

·
Registered
505 Posts

I think you've either got air in the clutch line, or there's a problem with the master cylinder (at pedal) or the slave cylinder (at clutch). I'd try bleeding the system first, or having it done. If that doesn't cure it then move on to the parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
It could be an air leak but fluid would also be leaking out and would be visible under the dash or at the transmission.

I'd bet on a failed master or slave cylinder so that fluid is bypassing the internal piston.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It could be an air leak but fluid would also be leaking out and would be visible under the dash or at the transmission.

I'd bet on a failed master or slave cylinder so that fluid is bypassing the internal piston.
I plan to bring it into a shop. All of the above info is very helpful and I will use it once I speak to the tech performing the service. I will ask for an assessment first. One guy I brought it to wanted to replace the clutch. The clutch is fine I told him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts