BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rest of my doors work fine but on driver's door the soft close pulls in momentarily, doesn't quite latch, then goes back out to the unclosed position. Normally I would think replace the actuator, however it IS working almost, or at least has power and some function.

Is there a cable adjustment or something I can check? Looking at the parts diagram is a bit confusing as to how it actually works.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
If it is not obviously broken or obviously obstructed from closing, I think the actuator sees excessive current draw and back off thinking that it could be limb or so. Automatic windows and sunroofs work like that too. They go up and if they get blocked from closing, it is the excessive current measurement on the riser motor that gets sensed. When to too high, it opens again. Did you change/repair anything recently, like door rubbers, or the like? Something must have changed if it was working right before.

When I changed my sunroof seal with new rubber, I had a similar issue. The stiffer rubber tripped the detection and the sunroof would not close. INPA has a calibration procedure to adjust for such a change. I bet that the soft closing doors have something similar. Use INPA, DIS or ISTA/D. I do not have soft closing doors, so I cannot check. Who needs this hoopla anyways :)

You have to make sure that there is truly no obstruction! Because the sensor is ignored during the calibration measurement, so the motor is going to try as hard as it can to close. It measures the current in that process and then sets a new trip limit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is not obviously broken or obviously obstructed from closing, I think the actuator sees excessive current draw and back off thinking that it could be limb or so. Automatic windows and sunroofs work like that too. They go up and if they get blocked from closing, it is the excessive current measurement on the riser motor that gets sensed. When to too high, it opens again. Did you change/repair anything recently, like door rubbers, or the like? Something must have changed if it was working right before.

When I changed my sunroof seal with new rubber, I had a similar issue. The stiffer rubber tripped the detection and the sunroof would not close. INPA has a calibration procedure to adjust for such a change. I bet that the soft closing doors have something similar. Use INPA, DIS or ISTA/D. I do not have soft closing doors, so I cannot check. Who needs this hoopla anyways :)

You have to make sure that there is truly no obstruction! Because the sensor is ignored during the calibration measurement, so the motor is going to try as hard as it can to close. It measures the current in that process and then sets a new trip limit.
This is probably why I am getting increased battery discharge message too.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Not necessarily true. If it sees and obstruction it will try to close it until the overcorrect trips. After that it should go dormant current wise. Of course, if it is electrically broken, that may be true. But it it is not, it may be something else in the the car. Door handle electronics have been found to be battery dischargers in a few other posts. Get the car to a heathy charge by driving it. Then disconnect the handle electronics after parking and wait the same amount of parking time it takes you for the discharge error to show up. (Or simply measure the sleep current.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts