BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got in touch wid BMW if the could install the soft close door option to my 06 M5.
They said its not possible as it can only be installed at the time of placing the order..they have no retro fit kits..
can anyone suggest wat to do if i want one fitted to the car..
i have one in my 740Li n i think its really cool..

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I got in touch wid BMW if the could install the soft close door option to my 06 M5.
They said its not possible as it can only be installed at the time of placing the order..they have no retro fit kits..
can anyone suggest wat to do if i want one fitted to the car..
i have one in my 740Li n i think its really cool..
Not sure what's involved. Perhaps look at realoem to see if you can determine what parts may be involved. Theoretically, it doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal, but it might be.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I'd have to look at a 7 series or new M5, but likewise I can't imagine it's more than a different latch mechanism perhaps.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Service Information

The lock and the automatic soft close function drive are a closed unit (modular). This means that a faulty lock or automatic soft close function drive cannot be replaced individually.

Opening the drive, for instance, destroys it, and perfect operation is no longer guaranteed.

The automatic soft close function drive is inseparably fastened to the lock. Only
the lock and the automatic soft close function drive can only be ordered as a spare part together.
Note: There is no diagnostic function for the automatic soft close function drive
in the diagnostics system. Retrofitting the automatic soft close function
is only possible with great effort and is thus not foreseen.:grrrrr:

LOOK AT THE PDF FOR A TECHNICAL BACKGROUND OF THIS SYSTEM

Attachments

·
Registered
3,244 Posts

Note: There is no diagnostic function for the automatic soft close function drive
in the diagnostics system. Retrofitting the automatic soft close function
is only possible with great effort and is thus not foreseen.:grrrrr:

Very good information.
I have looked into retrofitting soft close doors and read that document.
The integration of the door latch and soft close mechanism might make retrofit straight forward -- replace the door latch.
It is not very cost effective, since the integrated mechanism is $500 per door. Installation would require many hours of labor and there are likely to be some "complications" :nono:

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
YES, anything is possible.....how large is your check book ?

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
FYI........Soft close doors is no longer offered as an option on the build-your-own feature of the BMWNA M5 web page series.......:dunno: What's up with that?

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
They were not making enough money on the option and couldn't up the price because it would have made the 7 series look too good, people would go for that series instead......makes little sense, since the M5 is such a different animal.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Just so they leave their mitts off the heated steering wheel.........I WILL have one of those in an M5 before I go to that big junk yard in the sky...............:3:

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found this
very cool option
what do you think?
i think bmw solution will run thousands vs. this.
guys
anyone install automatic door closing like on high end models
i mean thing that sucks in your door if you didn't close strong enough
found youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YQHvzkmUAc it works for any car. i wanna try
I wonder who used this solution or any other solution.
please advise

·
Registered
120 Posts
How many M5 owners have the soft close doors as a factory option? Reason I ask is because it looks like I'm one of the lucky owners that has it.

Only thing that bothers me is when people don't realize what it is and slam the door even though you tell them they will close themselves...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
112 Posts
make a video of the installing , if it works great probably I'll find a crashed 7 series and use the parts , Yes plenty of insurance companies here sell parts , if you need something hit me an email

1 - 20 of 24 Posts