BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I wanted to start this thread to document the acquisition of the car and serve as a place for mod updates as time goes on.

I started my search late 2018 for a low mileage manual transmission E60 M5. Back in February of this year I was contacted through this board regarding a 2010 Space Gray M5 with Indianapolis red leather, 37k original miles.

The car was located in Seattle so I dialed up an old college buddy of mine who was local to the car. He gave it the green light so I flew up there that week to take possession of the car and drive it back to Los Angeles.

Here she is in front of the bank, waiting for the seller to verify my cashiers check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
We drove the car straight from Seattle to LAX so my buddy could fly home. We nailed the trip in about 22 hours with minimal stops. I can’t believe how comfortable the seats are, my back didn’t hurt at all during not after the entire journey.

Here’s a pic of my buddy (driver) and I as we boogie down the 5 freeway.

Lots of gas stops

Had our first low oil indicator....luckily the FLAPS had some 10W60 in stock

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Looking forward to your updates. It's good to see these e60s fall into hands of enthusiasts.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
It was February and we were advised to cut over to the PCH so we didn’t have to cross the Siskiyou Pass. This was gonna add several hours to the trip, but we would have hit the pass at midnight with temps just cresting freezing.

Having no experience driving this car, we opted to play it safe so we jumped off the 5 in Eugene and cut over to PCH. Unfortunately we cut through the Redwood forest at night...mental note, revisit this route in the daytime.

We made it down the coast in time to hit up Mel’s diner in SF for a nice 5am breakfast and coffee refill.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We made it to LAX in time for my buddy to catch a noon flight home (what a champ) and shortly there after she was home with her new sister.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First thing we did was take a family trip to Legoland. What a great family hauler, fast, fun and roomy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The car was all stock when I got it. The paint was mint so the first thing I did was add a clear bra to the entire hood and fenders (front bumper already had a clear bra)

A photo of a clear bra is pretty lame, so here’s a photo of the Ferrari that was just treated to a full body wrap and was in final clean up stages when I was dropping my car off.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Next up was sorting out the ride height. I picked up a set of Lowtec springs for the fronts.

I also painted my calipers satin black while I was in there.

Ride height is much better now.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I changed to a black front grill and black side vents.

Next up I added spacers. 10mm front, 12 mm rear.

Before

After

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Since I was at 37k miles, I changed the spark plugs....which was fairly straight forward.

I also changed out the oil, gear oil and differential oil along with changing the air and cabin filters.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Next up - buy a Foxwell (super popular mod on the M5) as my car threw a ton of codes and put me into limp mode.

It turned out to be a throttle actuator valve on bank 1 and was repaired under extended warranty for $50. At this point I’m thanking god I had this extended warranty as the repair cost (@stealership) was $1800

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now onto dealing with my exhaust. I added a Corsa cat back with black tips. I love how she sounds.

Damn the old cans are heavy (and ugly)

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Next up was dealing with the wheels. My stock wheels were ratty looking. I had some rash the finish in general showed the age of the wheels.

The stock wheels are good quality and although I’d like nicer wheels, I wanted to minimize my spend on wheels at this time. I was in need of new tires so I opted to powder coat the wheels gloss black while I was swapping out tires to Pilot Sport 4s

At the same time I did a stud conversion and added some black chrome project Kics lug nuts. I also changed the center caps although I’m not totally sold on them at the moment and most likely will change them.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hardwired my Valentine one (no pics) and changed my side vents from satin black to gloss black. I’m thinking of changing these to black chrome at some point.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’m glad you like the Lowtecs I sent! Lol if I would have kept my black OEM wheels on, we would have been twins!

2010 E60 M5 • Space Grey

Ya the springs are great....could be a bit lower but then I’d have other problems.

What wheels do you have on now?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts