BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the short list at Nick Alexander, and they said that they'd be selling for 20k over MSRP. Ditto Harloff. The lowest "overmarkup" I've seen so far down here is Shelly BMW, which will "only" be marking it up an extra 10k. Everyone seems to desperately want it to cross six figures.

I don't have a problem paying a 90k MSRP (especially since I'll be selling my slightly-Dinaned '02 to cover half of it), but regardless of my means, I have a philosophical problem with paying over MSRP.

So anyway, has anyone down here "imported" a new vehicle from another state? Will all stock configurations be 50-state emissions legal? Any other weirdness I need to be aware of? We'll be calling those Georgia dealers today.

Thanks,

Tom

·
Registered
248 Posts
I would wait until it was introduced. It may not have the same demand as the E39 M5 due to the new design and lack of a manual gearbox. 90k is way too high....

·
Registered
166 Posts
t10001 said:
I'm on the short list at Nick Alexander, and they said that they'd be selling for 20k over MSRP. Ditto Harloff. The lowest "overmarkup" I've seen so far down here is Shelly BMW, which will "only" be marking it up an extra 10k. Everyone seems to desperately want it to cross six figures.

I don't have a problem paying a 90k MSRP (especially since I'll be selling my slightly-Dinaned '02 to cover half of it), but regardless of my means, I have a philosophical problem with paying over MSRP.

So anyway, has anyone down here "imported" a new vehicle from another state? Will all stock configurations be 50-state emissions legal? Any other weirdness I need to be aware of? We'll be calling those Georgia dealers today.

Thanks,

Tom

Go to Cunningham. they are honest and they dont do that..

·
Registered
247 Posts
Steve Thomas BMW in Camarillio will sell only at MSRP. You can call Steve Vigiano and tell him Francesco sent you, but regardless they sell all their cars at MSRP by policy. But you will have to wait until I get my car... I'm #2 after their sales manager.

Ciao
FZ

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zapper said:
Steve Thomas BMW in Camarillio will sell only at MSRP. You can call Steve Vigiano and tell him Francesco sent you, but regardless they sell all their cars at MSRP by policy. But you will have to wait until I get my car... I'm #2 after their sales manager.

Ciao
FZ
Thank you! My, but that was easy. We just put down a deposit and are expecting the sheet tonight to pick options. He said we're pretty well back in line - #15 or so - but we'll be able to order it exactly as we want, at MSRP, and we'll probably get it relatively early since they're expecting 3 per month and a handful of those in line will probably drop out.

Easy!

·
Registered
223 Posts
t10001 said:
Thank you! My, but that was easy. We just put down a deposit and are expecting the sheet tonight to pick options. He said we're pretty well back in line - #15 or so - but we'll be able to order it exactly as we want, at MSRP, and we'll probably get it relatively early since they're expecting 3 per month and a handful of those in line will probably drop out.

Easy!
Wow, really! Maybe that's good news for me. Last I knew I was about #25 when I signed up back in June/July. Maybe some have already dropped out! Let us know what you get in terms of "picking options". I don't think that anything official has yet been released for the US markets. TIA.

·
Registered
907 Posts
t10001 said:
We just put down a deposit and are expecting the sheet tonight to pick options.

Easy!

Please pardon the intrusion, but I think your dealer is really jumping the gun. The car hasn't officially been announced for the USA. There are no USA specs, pricing, color palette or options announced. The car is probably not going to hit American dealers until Oct 2005, best case scenario, with allocations arriving in late August for Sept. production. It's still possible it could be delayed further. The dealer is artificially hyping you right now.

MJ
'03 black/black

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
MJ said:
Please pardon the intrusion, but I think your dealer is really jumping the gun. The car hasn't officially been announced for the USA. There are no USA specs, pricing, color palette or options announced. The car is probably not going to hit American dealers until Oct 2005, best case scenario, with allocations arriving in late August for Sept. production. It's still possible it could be delayed further. The dealer is artificially hyping you right now.

MJ
'03 black/black
I second every word MJ said :byee55amg

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
You are absolutely nuts to pay that kind of markup for a car that doesn't even have a release date for the US. Find the closest dealer to you that doesn't markup, and drive there to order your car. There are plenty of them around if you're willing to drive a few hours. You can then have it serviced wherever you want.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Listen to MJ you should. Wise he is.

As for going out of state- I know a guy out there in CA who does this all the time. Just call around. I think the real question is getting local service- some dealers (although they should not do this) are punitive about servicing cars not bought there.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Concerning options: that was me jumping the gun and misinterpreting a secondhand communication - you're correct that nothing's available for looksee in the US yet. The commitment I have from the dealer is to get the car at MSRP, whatever I end up choosing for options once they send the list to me.

Wolverine said:
You are absolutely nuts to pay that kind of markup for a car that doesn't even have a release date for the US.
Really? Wouldn't you say that nutiness is relative to one's resources and commitment to a particular vehicle? Based on what I've heard and read, I'm 100% willing to put money down on this vehicle sight-unseen. I did the same with my Ram SRT-10 and couldn't be more pleased, and that was a 50k nugget. In any case, the deposit is refundable if I decide later that I don't want the vehicle.

Wolverine said:
Find the closest dealer to you that doesn't markup, and drive there to order your car. There are plenty of them around if you're willing to drive a few hours. You can then have it serviced wherever you want.
This IS the closest dealer that doesn't markup. It's about a 3 hour drive.

In any case, concerning the thought that the new car might not have the demand of the E39, I simply can't envision that scenario. Even if it's true, it'll take the dealerships a year to figure it out, and only then would they finally drop their ridiculous markups down to MSRP, and I'm not willing to wait two years for all that to happen. If the allocations are slow-rolled at all, you'll have the nut contingent scooping them up (especially here in Cali) at any price for the first six months. I count myself lucky that I'm able to lock it at MSRP right now.

Long-and-short, with the sale of my '02 beast (I already have people lining up for it), the new beast will cost less out of pocket than my truck did. 75k, 85k, 95k, the difference is really a rounding error in this case.

Of course, if a year from now the cars are selling for 10k under MSRP because of lack of demand, I'll be the first acknowledge my well-deserved "I told you so." :cool:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Be careful with deposits. I had it in writing and I had a dealer try to keep the deposit (this was before the car was even there (it was built for someone else)). I had to do a lot of letter writing and yelling and I did get back.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Folks --

If the document confirming the deposit states that the deposit is refundable (and other conditions that are important to you, such as price to be MSRP), it should be easier to avoid problems and "misunderstandings" with the dealer. I would ask for these terms to be stated explicitly on the contract.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Why drive anywhere to get the car? Find a dealer even if they are out of state, work out the deal by phone, buy the car and have it shipped to your front door. I have purchased most of my cars from out of state and have never had a problem.

Because of the markup phenomenon here in Southern California, even on non M cars, I will no longer buy a BMW from a local dealership, period. I do this out of principal. My dollars are marching elsewhere.

One thing to keep in mind, when you buy a car from out of state, you have to make a trip to the DMV. But that is a minor issue.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
how much is the deposit? 500? 1000? 2000?

we have a piece of paper that says I get my money back if I want it back before the car arrives at the dealer.

we have a dispute because no car is there, yet I want my deposit back and you won't give it back.

where am I? You have my money and I have to get it back. I am left with making equitable arguments to you (who are acting in bad faith) or having to hire a professional to help me collect it. If I have to hire an attorney, 2 hours of their time might eat up any benefit of having the deposit returned. The dealers know this.

Yes, its best to have it in writing. But in the end it comes down to the people- just like anything else. Beware- just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
Have you checked with Long Beach BMW? Last time I asked them they were planning on selling for MSRP... :confused:

·
Registered
158 Posts
greg_h said:
Why drive anywhere to get the car? Find a dealer even if they are out of state, work out the deal by phone, buy the car and have it shipped to your front door. I have purchased most of my cars from out of state and have never had a problem.

Because of the markup phenomenon here in Southern California, even on non M cars, I will no longer buy a BMW from a local dealership, period. I do this out of principal. My dollars are marching elsewhere.

One thing to keep in mind, when you buy a car from out of state, you have to make a trip to the DMV. But that is a minor issue.
I totally agree - most local dealers are brain dead. However, the internet sales people at most dealerships know what's up and will do the deal right.

FWIW, if you are a AAA member ($47 annual), you can go register your car at one of their offices without the hassle of the DMV - a couple of weeks ago I registered a new vehicle (purchased via phone/internet out of state) in about 5 minutes stopping by a AAA office.

·
Registered
927 Posts
paule said:
I totally agree - most local dealers are brain dead. However, the internet sales people at most dealerships know what's up and will do the deal right.

FWIW, if you are a AAA member ($47 annual), you can go register your car at one of their offices without the hassle of the DMV - a couple of weeks ago I registered a new vehicle (purchased via phone/internet out of state) in about 5 minutes stopping by a AAA office.
Paul,

Please check your PM.

·
Registered
247 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
Be careful with deposits. I had it in writing and I had a dealer try to keep the deposit (this was before the car was even there (it was built for someone else)). I had to do a lot of letter writing and yelling and I did get back.
Stealer issues happen all the time... but I wanted to vouch for Steve Thomas BMW 100%.

I bought my E46 M3 cab from them after being told by my local dealer that the price was going to be 16K over sticker.

I visited ST, put down my deposit and recieved an MSRP in writing letter with the date of my deposit. When my order spot came up, sooner than expected since they don't randomly add customers in the middle of the list if they are willing to pay, I simply ordered my car and poof it arrived.

ST even picked me up at the airport and drove me out to Camarillio to get the car. It was a great experience.

Needless to say I knew where to go when it was time to order the M5. The sales guy did tell me that they upped their deposit minimum significantly to try and weed out flaky customers, but I'm ok with that.

·
Registered
714 Posts
just amazing. i agree with free enterprise but honestly, what is BMW doing to protect their CUSTOMERS? certainly there is the supply and demand at works, and with this car (or many others) the beginning always is short supplied...

i know BMW Canada make you sign something not exporting it or giving them first dip if you have to resale your own bmw in the first year. i am on the waitlist for one of the first M5's, but i am so far quite happy with my QP.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts