BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really want to get this going, especially for those of you who may benefit from a little get out, meet, greet, admire, and drive,and eat but feel a little less motivated to get up and go. We'll we are going, next weekend!

We already have Jeeperjohn, myself, three of his buddies, and one of mine. That constitutes a party already, but the more the merrier.

More details soon, but we are culminating the following event details:

OCT 23 Saturday is a firm date!

Meet in Valencia right off the 5 near Starbucks (exit TBA).

Ojai is among the final destinations and so is the PCH.

Stop locations may include a dealership or maybe a cultural landmark, like the Pt. Dume. :viking:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oops didn't know that all I had to do is to search on last posted on threads to find the latest thread. Oh well, lets use this thread to carry forward our plans, We're a week out. :hihihi:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Wang,

The exit is the Valencia Blvd off ramp and the Starbucks is located just west of the 5 freeway on the NE corner of the intersection of Valencia Bvld and The Old Road (you can see it from the off-ramp). There is a market, drug store, juice place, etc. at the location. If someone needs gas or breakfast, two exits south at Lyons Ave, there are several gas stations and restaurants along with fast food.

We are thinking of meeting at 0830 hrs and looking at cars until everybody shows up and then heading out for a drive. We can use the FRS radios to keep in touch (you can find them at any Best Buy, Staples, Sport Chalet, Costco, Office Max, Walmart, etc for a reasonable price).

We will stop for breaks along the way and stop for lunch. We are going for a spirited drive with some scenery rather than a race (some drives have resulted in cars crashing and being totaled from pushing too hard on the street) to make it a safe run for everybody. We should be finished up around 1400 hrs. depending on everybody's input in the morning (shorter or longer day??).

I'll email Mark, Wu, Hugo, and Rod of this and post it on the other thread. Hope we can get as many M5's in one spot as we did last year to keep everybody connected to each other and the board.

John

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: Socal LA meet and greet!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Guys,

I know that the thread was started by buymenow00 and he is not able to organize the event and go along due to other obligations, so Wang and myself have decided to make it happen.

I have contacted and have commitments from Wang (Gt-3), Sebgan (00 M5), Bear35 (02 M5), So Cal M5 (00 Dinan M5), and two other non board drivers.

The e-mail list of drivers was started by mamsterla but I have not heard any more from him.

Looking over the thread it looks like the following members have said they can show up:
Bear35, CBM5, C4M5, DaveK, em5464, eMpwrd5, greer, gorilla beast, Hamann7, JameE55, Jeeperjohn, macfly, mackenzie, mamsterla,Sebgan, 6sp, So Cal M5, and Wang.

That's eighteen board members in one spot along with two other cars. That would be a great showing of M5's in one spot (Hamann7, would you bring your M5 for the group photo?). I also have one turbo porsche neighbor that might show. With the holidays coming up and the weather changing (ski season), this is probably the best turnout time for a great meet and drive.

If we have enough drivers, we could split into two groups, one group for more advanced driving and the other group for the scenic drive if we want to do that.

Let's make it happen. If you are going to show up, post on Wang's thread "So Cal meet-drive-eat OCT 23rd" so we can get a roster together and get some feedback on the ideas for the day.

John

I cut and pasted this from the other thread to keep us currrent on the drive.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Re: Socal LA meet and greet!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am up for the 23rd as well so far.

I would be up for a drive and a meet up too. So D from the list above.

If people PM me with emails, I can setup a quickie email list for this so we don't clutter the board too much.

-MA

posted by mamsterla

·
Registered
356 Posts
DaveK

View My Car! Re: Socal LA meet and greet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4m5
Will this event happen on the 23rd?

I hope so. I'm planning to go, but a meeting place hasn't been chosen yet. I signed up for the email list, but only myself and two others have sent mail to it so far.

People who are interested and know the area (I think the desired area was the west side of LA), please suggest a location. I don't know that area well enough myself.

- Dave

posted by DaveK on other thread

I copied this post to this thread to keep us current.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for adding the meeting location and initial driver count, Jeeperjohn. 18 so far sounds great. My brother will be attending, as well (Audi A4 UltraSport- He's praying for rain, I'm not :) ). That makes 19 drivers so far.

Remember Eric with the Mini Cooper? He has family commitments, oh well.

Looking forward to seeing your shiny ///M5s...
:M5eyes:

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm thinking that we should get a monthly meeting (really just a time to meet to look at cars, for brunch, and talk to each other even without a drive if we didn't want to. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

John

·
Registered
109 Posts
John,

Thanks for organizing this, and I like the monthly meeting idea.

8:30am is a bit painful since I live at least half an hour away and I'm far from being a morning person, but if that's a good time for others I'll drag my lazy butt out of bed. :)

See you there,
- Dave

·
Registered
287 Posts
Sounds good to me. I may bring two cars. My wife complained that she didn't get to drive the last time. :biggrin: Plus, it'll give me a chance to play with my new toy.

PS, anybody mind if a Z3 tags along? I have a friend who is interested.

·
Registered
267 Posts
jeeperjohn said:
Wang,

The exit is the Valencia Blvd off ramp and the Starbucks is located just west of the 5 freeway on the NE corner of the intersection of Valencia Bvld and The Old Road (you can see it from the off-ramp). There is a market, drug store, juice place, etc. at the location. If someone needs gas or breakfast, two exits south at Lyons Ave, there are several gas stations and restaurants along with fast food.

We are thinking of meeting at 0830 hrs and looking at cars until everybody shows up and then heading out for a drive. We can use the FRS radios to keep in touch (you can find them at any Best Buy, Staples, Sport Chalet, Costco, Office Max, Walmart, etc for a reasonable price).

We will stop for breaks along the way and stop for lunch. We are going for a spirited drive with some scenery rather than a race (some drives have resulted in cars crashing and being totaled from pushing too hard on the street) to make it a safe run for everybody. We should be finished up around 1400 hrs. depending on everybody's input in the morning (shorter or longer day??).

I'll email Mark, Wu, Hugo, and Rod of this and post it on the other thread. Hope we can get as many M5's in one spot as we did last year to keep everybody connected to each other and the board.

John
Hey folks,

looks like we are going to have a good turnout, see you there...

Ed

·
Registered
356 Posts
DaveK said:
John,

Thanks for organizing this, and I like the monthly meeting idea.

8:30am is a bit painful since I live at least half an hour away and I'm far from being a morning person, but if that's a good time for others I'll drag my lazy butt out of bed. :)

See you there,
- Dave
Dave,
We will leave later (0930??) from the Starbucks lot (park in the corner towards the freeway to leave the Starbucks store parking for customers) and I wanted to put some kind of time out for people to shoot for meeting. The Tournament Players Country Club restaurant is just west of the Starbucks about two blocks at 26550 Heritage View Lane and they open at 0700 hrs. Or there are several others 2 exits south (Lyons Ave and McBean Ave and along the Old Road) that people could eat at if they are early risers and want to eat.
Mark,
I don't think anybody would have an issue with a Z3 since we have other cars (540, A4, and an Alpina B7S Turbo) showing up.

John

·
Registered
356 Posts
If the others that were interested in going or showing up for the meeting and coffee would post with their opinions on two groups and if they are going for the drive, it would encourage more to show up. I was thinking we could pick a day for the future (second Saturday, first Sunday, etc..) for a monthly meeting time that would get more people together. We could rotate it around the county to make it a convenient location for everybody at least once. What do you guys think?

John

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Weather forcast Re: SoCal meet-drive-eat OCT 23rd

Saturday weather forcast is sunny to partly cloudy, 60 -70 degrees F midday between Santa Clarita and Santa Barbara. Looks to be real good.

IMO A monthly sounds good, at various locations to help make it local for other drivers in succession. With sufficient turnout, not everyone need make every one anyways. Don't know what the strength in numbers are in the messageboard in L.A. County, but given the size of our city of choice, I don't see why a great turnout can't be had every month. I for one am not currently an M5 driver and cannot run on Sundays (church day), but I have my sights on the upcoming V10 M5 and can make many Saturday get togethers. M5 drivers have fabulous cars, definitely a good idea to keep them alive through shine and drive monthly events. Get your fellow drivers who have a thing for motoring in on it, its a great way to spend several hours on a calm Saturday to burn off some work week frustrations and to relax.

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's been raining pretty hard with strong winds tonight with a storm coming thru the area. I hope it does not wash the road cuts onto the pavement and leave us with debris on the road. Anybody else have any feedback on the idea of meeting monthly?
John

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Road debri Hmmm, I'll be minding my following distance if it's bad. We'll just have to alter course accordingly :cheers:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hey All - glad to see this date has come together...unfortunately I still cannot make it due to a conference up in San Fran. I definitely will be at the next one, and I'm all down for the monthly (or every other month) meet!!!

Have fun and take lots o' pics!!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts