BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all!

I've been talking to a few local to me M5 owners and they have expressed the desire for a weekend meet up/cruise somewhere in either Angeles Crest or Hwy 39 or even Ortega Hwy (per their own suggestions, I hope I'm typing those names correctly). It's definitely gonna be early morning to 1) beat the traffic and 2) to avoid bicyclists and other people on the road when we go for a cruise through some nice mountain roads. It's not gonna be a race or anything like that - 1) it's dangerous and unsafe and 2) I'm a noob M5 driver for now, so I'm taking it slow. I know some people said there's a football game or something this weekend - I don't watch football so both days I'm technically free.

People interested please reply in comments what day you think will work best. Also I'd greatly appreciate a meet up spot suggestions since I moved to SoCal about 2 months ago and not very familiar with that area (Angeles Crest, etc.). Thank you, looking forward to meet new M5 owners.:grin

·
Registered
189 Posts
I suggested angeles crest cause its an awesome drive, was planning on heading there and it the best place to shake down the cars and compare, since as a new owner I also would like to see where my car stands. For a first meet up that might not work out so well, there are plenty of places where we can meetup and drive and compare. a regional park or any park, in/out or other food type places, until football over only very early daylight only works for me for a quick meetup.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suggested angeles crest cause its an awesome drive, was planning on heading there and it the best place to shake down the cars and compare, since as a new owner I also would like to see where my car stands. For a first meet up that might not work out so well, there are plenty of places where we can meetup and drive and compare. a regional park or any park, in/out or other food type places, until football over only very early daylight only works for me for a quick meetup.
Sounds good to me. I'll look up a meet up spot nearby and give an address shortly. Would Saturday or Sunday morning work best?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found this place, right near Angeles Crest Hwy entrance with a Chevron gas station right next to it (very convenient for our beasts, they get thirsty very often). Here is the address: Los Gringos Locos, 631 Foothill Blvd, La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011. I think Sunday morning 7 am meet at this address work better for me. Whoever is interested please fell free to suggest another time, day or meetup spot. Thanks :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
a little too close and can get crowed maybe a food spot or big lot few exits before. i usually just top off before leaving home and have enough to make it back. was thinking earlier like 630 or sooner to start the run but as the sun rise it can get in your eyes a bit. i can also meet up near you only my way back home (9am ish) if ur not up for the drive

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
a little too close and can get crowed maybe a food spot or big lot few exits before. i usually just top off before leaving home and have enough to make it back. was thinking earlier like 630 or sooner to start the run but as the sun rise it can get in your eyes a bit. i can also meet up near you only my way back home (9am ish) if ur not up for the drive
If you have a better place suggestion drop the address in the comments. Like I said, I'm very new to the area and have absolutely 0 knowledge about food places or big parking lot for a meet up. And if you'd like meet up earlier that's fine with me: I'm an early bird and wake up 4:30 am for work every day so waking up super ealy is no issue for me haha :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, since no one replies with different time/day/place meet up suggestions I'll be at the address I specified on Sunday 01/14/2018 slightly before 7 am (I'm planning to leave home around 6:15 am, with no traffic it's a 40 minute drive for me). I'll stay at the place for approximately 15 minutes. If no one shows up I'm driving through Angeles Crest Hwy myself. Have a good weekend!

·
Registered
189 Posts
how about the mcdonalds down the street, there a starbuck nearby if you want better coffee.

how about,630am 449 Foothill Blvd, La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011 ?

think it just going to be us two

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how about the mcdonalds down the street, there a starbuck nearby if you want better coffee.

how about,630am 449 Foothill Blvd, La Cañada Flintridge, CA 91011 ?

think it just going to be us two
Sounds good, I'll go to the address you've provided but I'll be there around 6:45 am, it's a 40 min drive for me so...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m here, McDonald’s parking lot on 449 Foothill

·
Registered
189 Posts
you were late (645), waited a bit and then took off. think I pasted you on my way back and yeah there were a lot of vehicles heading up as I was coming back. no worries though, try again maybe next week with a less time sensitive spot

·
Registered
189 Posts
too many cops on ortega hwy? maybe a food spot near fwys since I do want to get rides to compare my ride to others. maybe something near irvine, bake parkway ?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
you were late (645), waited a bit and then took off. think I pasted you on my way back and yeah there were a lot of vehicles heading up as I was coming back. no worries though, try again maybe next week with a less time sensitive spot
Yeah I arrived there by 7 am, was hoping you'll wait for me about 15 mins like I planned to wait for people lol oh well :/ I went all the way to the end through hwy, lots of ice on the road in the mountains, road covered in snow, was sketchy but fun, did some slight sliding lol. And yep I saw an M5 heading down and thought it was you, I wasn't wrong :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sounds like a great idea bit too early for me but I hope you guys have fun. Let me know when Ortega HWY is an option.
We can drive up to GMR and do a quick run up there and then coast back down

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I covered about 210 miles today lol, hella fun, love the car, so much joy driving it :D

·
Registered
189 Posts
must have just missed you, waited like 12 min but as I saw the sun coming I was getting antsy. had the road to myself there and back, usually just go to to the restaurant or tunnels cause after that can get wet and rocky but its pretty scenic the second half.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
must have just missed you, waited like 12 min but as I saw the sun coming I was getting antsy. had the road to myself there and back, usually just go to to the restaurant or tunnels cause after that can get wet and rocky but its pretty scenic the second half.
It was icy too haha, PSS tires have 0 contact on ice :D

1 - 20 of 65 Posts