BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get into my car, get myself all set up. Remove the dome light and the small panel, wire in my ground and tap the power wire.

Test my V1 before I run my wire - all works, success!

I start to run the V1 supplied telephone jack style cable through the headliner and I as I'm doing so I notice a wire?
What is this I ask myself? This is not a bmw wire! I start to pull on the wire and what do I find?

Previous owner had hardwired the car for a V1.

FAIL.

Good news is that it's incredibly easy to hardwire a V1 into these cars.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really the point of the story is it's so simple to hardwire a V1.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Looking to do the same!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys I just followed these instructions step by step.

Very easy to do and here's a little tip, the wrench in your tool kit can be used to loosen the nut for the ground wire.

All you need is a flathead screwdriver and the wrench in the toolkit!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Hey guys I just followed these instructions step by step.

Very easy to do and here's a little tip, the wrench in your tool kit can be used to loosen the nut for the ground wire.

All you need is a flathead screwdriver and the wrench in the toolkit!
what insturctions?:confused3

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
what insturctions?:confused3
If you have not already, you can purchase a Valentine 1 unit online, direct from the manufacture's store.
Online Store [Defense Gear] URL: https://store.valentine1.com/Store/partsdept.asp
The very first listing, ITEM #20015 "Valentine One Radar With Laser Warning". Add to cart.

Before you checkout, you will need to go to the V1 Online Store's Part's area and purchase the hardwire kit that includes everything
Online Store [Parts Dept] URL: https://store.valentine1.com/Store/partsdept.asp
Scroll down and purchase a quantity of ONE (1) "Direct-Wire Power Adapter Kit" ITEM #00030 - Add to cart. This includes everything:
- Includes ITEM #20305 "Direct-Wire Power Adapter"
- Includes ITEM #20311 "Straight Power Cord"
- Includes ITEM #20303 "1 AMP Cylinder Fuse"
- Includes ITEM #20310 "Wiring Harness Connector"

I pulled together some photos of my car and someone else's car (random person) to give you a quick DIY tutorial.

You are going to install the V1 cabling inside of the front main interior light dome, as pictured below. To remove the light dome, place a long flat object against the long edge between the sunroof/sos buttons and the single light buttons. Insert into that edge and pry up so the light housing is being pushed down. The best tool to use is a drywall knife, but you can get away with a credit card, I used a metal one I had handy in my wallet. You could use a hard plastic one, or just about anything like it that is long/thin/flat.

Now you can use just your hand to remove the second half of the unit (the alcantara/headliner material piece with the SOS & Sun Roof button). Once it is removed, disconnect the one cable hanging onto the light dome (unlatched from roof in prior step) so you have space while you work.

Now you want to assemble the take the black unit and the red wire (hot wire) and neatly place it inside of the now open area shown below. The "Main Unit" port (not the Accessory port) is where you will plug your straight power cord (telephone jack cord) and you will run the other end out the front of the headliner by the windshield. Give yourself some slack so it can connect to your V1 which will be right up against the headliner to the left of your mirror.

The red wire (hot wire) comes with the Valentine 1 kit. You will connect the red wire into the greenish-yellow cable from the BMW compartment you have given yourself access to. You connect the two wires by using the wiring harness connector which came with the V1 hardwire kit. The green cable is the only cable in the bundle that will work as it is connected to the ignition. When you turn your car on/off the Valentine 1 will turn on/off with it.

Now we need to make the ground connection. The black cable (NOT the straight power cord, it is the round black cable)sWe will use an existing bolt and washer that is for the M5's sunroof motor. You can find this bolt and washer by locating the SIEMENS sticker, then looking directly to the left. It is shown in the two photos below. You must loosen this bolt (you can use the wrench in your trunk next to the first aid kit), make contact with the wire as seen, and then tighten it down again. MAKE SURE YOU CORRECTLY GROUND THE WIRE.

Now make sure everything is neat as possible, and put away. Make sure the telephone cable is inserted into the correct port in the V1 Adapter (black piece). Make sure your ground is good. Make sure you ran the flat telephone cable out of the headliner by the windshield and leave about an inch and a half or so of cable coming out from the headliner so there is enough slack to connect it into the V1. Test to see if your V1 has power by quickly inserting the other end of the power cord (telephone cable) into your V1. If you have power, reinstall the sunroof panel, connect the cable to your light dome and reinstall the light dome.

Here is a photo of my V1 in my car - this should be your end result:

Notice how my V1 is touching the top of the headliner and the corner by the mirror. I have it this way so that it does not shake at all while driving. Also notice how it is pointing straight / is flat and not tilted neither upwards or downwards. This allows the V1 unit to be the most effective as signals are not coming from the sky, nor the street, they are coming from the front and from the rear.

This is a brief DIY that I typed up very quickly, but should guide you along just fine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you have not already, you can purchase a Valentine 1 unit online, direct from the manufacture's store.
Online Store [Defense Gear] URL: https://store.valentine1.com/Store/partsdept.asp
The very first listing, ITEM #20015 "Valentine One Radar With Laser Warning". Add to cart.

Before you checkout, you will need to go to the V1 Online Store's Part's area and purchase the hardwire kit that includes everything
Online Store [Parts Dept] URL: https://store.valentine1.com/Store/partsdept.asp
Scroll down and purchase a quantity of ONE (1) "Direct-Wire Power Adapter Kit" ITEM #00030 - Add to cart. This includes everything:
- Includes ITEM #20305 "Direct-Wire Power Adapter"
- Includes ITEM #20311 "Straight Power Cord"
- Includes ITEM #20303 "1 AMP Cylinder Fuse"
- Includes ITEM #20310 "Wiring Harness Connector"
I was under the impression you get everything you need to direct-wire when you buy the radar detector.... or at least that's what it says in the product description on their site:

"Includes: windshield mount; visor mount; lighter adapter; power cord, coiled; power cord, straight; direct-wire power adapter; wiring-harness connector; owner's manual; spare suction cups; spare fuse. 30-day Money-Back Guarantee."

·
Registered
83 Posts
i did the same but wired it into the cigarette lighter under the glovebox..also put my discreet display in my ashtray, got that idea from a guy on another board. but yes, i agree its SO SIMPLE to hardwire the V1..your way was even easier..but i was a little nervous..i tried to hardwire my V1 into my evo a little while back and it totally messed up my keyless go system and cost about 1500 dollars to fix..so i was very reluctant to wire it into the BMW..for such a sophisticated car it was very simple.

heres a pic of the discreet display for my V1 in the ashtray

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I was under the impression you get everything you need to direct-wire when you buy the radar detector.... or at least that's what it says in the product description on their site:

"Includes: windshield mount; visor mount; lighter adapter; power cord, coiled; power cord, straight; direct-wire power adapter; wiring-harness connector; owner's manual; spare suction cups; spare fuse. 30-day Money-Back Guarantee."
Thanks for the info..

Maybe it does now.. the last time I purchased a V1 was 3 years ago.. so it's possible they changed it. However if you want to be safe it only costs $20-$30.. good to have a spare hardwire kit anyway (if you don't care).

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
i did the same but wired it into the cigarette lighter under the glovebox..also put my discreet display in my ashtray, got that idea from a guy on another board. but yes, i agree its SO SIMPLE to hardwire the V1..your way was even easier..but i was a little nervous..i tried to hardwire my V1 into my evo a little while back and it totally messed up my keyless go system and cost about 1500 dollars to fix..so i was very reluctant to wire it into the BMW..for such a sophisticated car it was very simple.

heres a pic of the discreet display for my V1 in the ashtray

Did you actually use the plug for the cigarette lighter? Or did you splice into the power cable of the cig lighter and use a bolt for the ground?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts