BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the way to San Francisco for Wekfest(which the event itself was ok..) me and the 4 other passengers in my M5 spot this magnum srt8..
Now we didnt know too much about the srt8 magnum so I decided to challenge..
The magnum just had the driver in it and I had 4 passengers plus me..

We're already at about 80 to 100 and then we gun it.. he got the jump as I like to wait for the other driver to go first usually..
but we both gunned it and he painfully slooooooooowly pulled away from me and when I say slow I mean I could have walked faster than he pulled away..
Did it twice same result.. Had sport on but dsc on as well

The srt8 has 425 horses and 420 ft lb's of torque..
I believe in the situation that I was in his car did have the advantage because of all that monster torque he has..

Or maybe I'm missing some HP's!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Old streetracer estimate of HP loss/weight is about 1HP/10 lbs.

Assuming you are all average size guys...say 170lb each x 4!=680lb
You may have been down around 60-70HP or more compared with you as a solo driver.

Just a rough estimate....

Plus...those SRT8s are FAST (stock for stock about dead even with M5)
He actually has you on HP and TQ stock for stock...although the Magnum is heavy.

A stock M5 is not a good racecar, LOL

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think a stock m5 is a great race car come on blockdoc!
Lol..
I'm thinking I need a tune..

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol..

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Lol..
I THINK you are joking..
But a tune alone probably won't change the outcome....IIRC....the stock SRT8s will beat a healthy E39 M5...just barely (slap on a cheap blower....not even close)

Not bursting your bubble...just saying....
:cheers:

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I THINK you are joking..
But a tune alone probably won't change the outcome....IIRC....the stock SRT8s will beat a healthy E39 M5...just barely (slap on a cheap blower....not even close)

Not bursting your bubble...just saying....
:cheers:

I think if your comparing the averages, theyre pretty close, id say its a drivers race. If you compare the fastest bone stock, the SRT8 edges it out. When i say drivers race, i mean whoever gets the launch/jump. Ive ran into 1 and i did beat him, but not by much.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He got the jump too..
I gave it to him I usually wait for the other car to jump to make sure its fair..
I hate hearing the other drivers weren't ready or w/e they say..

Yea I know its not a true race car but the 400 horses (394) speak for themselves..
It eats the majority of cars

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
An M5 in great condition will hang with an SRT8 provided a variety of factors, namely being the health of the M5 was what it should be. SRT8s will dyno a little more than an M5 but if one looks at an SRT8 dyno you see while the peak power is great, they spend the majority of their time making less power versus the S62. Whereas the S62 produces a linear, nearly completely flat torque line for most of it's RPM band (up to about 5000) at about 330N-M, the 6.1L SRT engines produce less than 300, slowly climbs to 350 where it peaks earlier than the S62, while the SRT engine's HP also peaks and drops off towards the top.

So personally though the SRT makes more peak power I think its entirely in the realm of possibility for these two cars to be roughly equals on the strip, to the point that either car having a bad MAF could have a massive effect on the outcome. This theory is confirmed as the quarter mile results for both cars are very close, with varying results for both cars from medium 12s to 13s.

With all this being said - the fact that he pulled away from you on the highway where those 25hp could very well mean the difference, does not mean in any way that your Beast is not up to par.

·
Registered
345 Posts
You have to consider the weight difference you were carrying. As Blockdoc nailed it, you were giving up an additional 60hp to a vehicle that already has us beat for hp/tq. If I can tell the (albeit small) difference between a full tank of gas and 1/8 tank, I can assure you an extra 680lbs would make the car feel downright sluggish in my opinion. 'Course the SRT8 has the aerodynamics of barn at 100mph, with enough room, maybe you could have reeled him in, but not wise on the highway.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I edged out an srt8 charger on the highway about a month ago... I didn't walk him but by the time we both let off I was a full 1.5 car lengths out in front... My car was in tip top shape...

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Yeah like previously said, if you were alone, you would have pulled on him, albiet slowly, even with the amount of torque the S62 makes i can definately feel an extra 3 female passengers (~115lbs each, yes i perfer small girls). We actually got a 300C SRT8 as trade in at my work, so i took it for a road test and honestly, i never really thought about it while driving, but i did notice they are a very peaky motor. they definately feel a little sluggish in the low rpm especially if you catch is when it doesnt downshift.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Totally different beast, but I was not to recently absolutely dismantled and decimated by a SRT8 Grand Cherokee. I am almost ashamed to admit it but those things can really move, you know its bad when he light up all 4 off of the line. Come to find out that he had a Vortec blower and long tube headers. That truck was absolutely absurd

·
Registered
340 Posts
what wrong with your cars guys??

i beat SRT8's c300 very easily and my car is bone stock

yes they are fast and they can keep up with me but they cant pass me ;)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I easily walked an SRT8 Grand Cherokee from a roll last summer. He was not too happy, was probably used to smoking most 4 door sedans and did not know what an M5 was. He knows now!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Yea people don't know when they see an m5
I ripped this guy in a gt mustang a new ***** hole this morning..
He pulled up next to me pissed off afterwards and I was just laughing at him
Lol

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts