BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gang:

Is a transplant of the unit a DIY job?

Is there someway I can disconnect it (electronically - for off road purposes of course :rolleyes: ) ?

Will the turbo like whine get worse & hopefully seize to work one day & if so, are there any (outside of injecting the cats with air during the cold phase) downsides? - Tree huggers need not apply (save it) from an environmental perspective please as I'm primarily a motorcyclist getting 45MPG thus saving our planet & pesky spotted piping plovers at the same time :rolleyes: :hihi:

Thanks! :byee55amg

·
10,445 Posts
mine only runs for the first minute or so on a cold start. I'd imagine you'd get a service engine soon light, which is anoying to look at, if you mess with it or if it fails.
Mike

·
Registered
797 Posts
vics said:
Is there someway I can disconnect it (electronically - for off road purposes of course :rolleyes: ) ?
Probably not a good idea to disable the aux air pump. It's there to help get the cats to operating temps faster. At worst you could induce premature failure of the cats (because of accumulation of deposits when the cat is cold). At best, as mentioned above, you'll probaby throw some codes indicating catalyst efficiency problems.

Jeff :cheers:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Do not disable it. You would definately cause a fault code and hense, not get a sticker in our lovely state with their emission requirements:(. It should go away after a minute or so, so easier to live with that then hassle with an SES light IMO.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Ah, ha!
So thats what that sound is when I start the Beast in cold weather.
I thought it was leading up to a trip to the dealer soon.
Thanks for the clarification.
Bob

mottati said:
mine only runs for the first minute or so on a cold start. I'd imagine you'd get a service engine soon light, which is anoying to look at, if you mess with it or if it fails.
Mike

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
howler said:
Ah, ha!
So thats what that sound is when I start the Beast in cold weather.
I thought it was leading up to a trip to the dealer soon.
Thanks for the clarification.
Bob
Don't mind it - but "should" it be this LOUD? -
My neighbors have inquired about it! ??????

·
Registered
797 Posts
vics said:
Don't mind it - but "should" it be this LOUD? -
My neighbors have inquired about it! ??????
The pump's probably faulty. Happened to my beast (same symptom - loud) at about 20K miles. BMW/Dinan replaced it under warranty.

Jeff cherrsagai

·
10,445 Posts
mine sounds like a vacuum cleaner, it's certainly not quiet. I can hear it in the car as i drive away, and it's usually shutting down as i get to the end of my street.
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts